Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Got back home last night and WOW! Overwhelming! Had an awesome time, great meeting the guys at the booth, and really enjoyed hanging with Bigherp for the day. Now it's time to scan. No really major pick ups for me but then again I'm a cheapskate. Definitely worth the time and money to attend. One more check mark on the bucket list. Great show, even greater memories!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Atlanta Falcons Detroit Tigers
    See pistonsnut3's Items on eBay

Had a blast seeing a few of you. Had a blast getting the experience of walking around and just taking in the whole experience. I managed to get a lot if small pickups for the PC and also Dominique Wilkins, Allen Iverson and my idol Barry Sanders in the tristar signings.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

Don- Hey- you're up to 1.3 cc now.
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Got back home last night and WOW! Overwhelming! Had an awesome time, great meeting the guys at the booth, and really enjoyed hanging with Bigherp for the day. Now it's time to scan. No really major pick ups for me but then again I'm a cheapskate. Definitely worth the time and money to attend. One more check mark on the bucket list. Great show, even greater memories!

Had a blast seeing a few of you. Had a blast getting the experience of walking around and just taking in the whole experience. I managed to get a lot if small pickups for the PC and also Dominique Wilkins, Allen Iverson and my idol Barry Sanders in the tristar signings.

Glad you guys could stop by the booth and best of yet to meet some SCF'ers as you roamed the show. It nice to put faces to the userid's after all the years. Also, nice to catch up,for those that are meeting again. See ya next or back in Chicago when it comes back into the rotation.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

Sounds like a good show, as usual. Hope to see some other member reviews of it and here's to hoping I can go to it next year in AC.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (22)
    Country

Where's the SCF pics?

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

I posted a recap of the VIP auto signatures in my thread:

https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...max-2015/page6
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

Transferred Feedback
    TCC(1874)
    Country
    Penn State Nittany Lions Kansas City Royals
    Twitter: @rtsjr1 See thebusfan's Items on eBay

love to go to one someday

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

Just wanted to post a bit of a review of the National. Two years ago in Chicago, I bought a VIP pass, which gets you in 1 half hour early, gets you into the sneak peek on Wednesday with free autos, and gets you 12 out of the 18 VIP autos for free, although 6 have the player names, and 6 are Wild Card, which may or may not be able to be used, depending on how slow the signer is. This time, I went for the Super VIP, which included all 18 VIP autos, and a parking pass for all 5 days. There are higher levels as well, including All-Access, Platinum, etc. The VIP autos were time consuming. If a player started at noon, they would call All-Access first, then anyone who paid for the auto (I'm not sure on that order), then start VIP. VIP usually wouldn't get started until 1 hour after the start time, say 1 pm. They would take 20 people into the ropes to get in line, but then people would keep getting behind them, and All-Access would get added whenever they showed up. So, VIPs such as myself would get an auto about 2 hours after the start. This wasn't easy to judge, and some moved faster (younger players mostly), and some moved slower than molasses (older players, mostly). Longest waits were Manny Sanguillen, Nate Archibald, and Lem Barney. The All-Access is probably the smartest investment if you are an autograph person.
    The show floor is interesting. It is a mix of vintage cards and new cards, memorabilia, junk, boxes and cases of unopened cards, auction sites, supplies, and the card companies. There are tables where it is only high end stuff neatly arranged, and tables of autographs in white row boxes that aren't organized or even in penny sleeves. Some tables are selling inserts from 2015 Topps Series 1 for a quarter, some selling them for a dollar. To me, since you can purchase so much on the internet now with COMC, Sports Lots, ebay, amazon, etc., the dealer table is less needed. Before the internet, there was no other place to get these cards, but now it isn't as tough in a lot of ways. There are a lot of people who like to flip through the boxes, but when boxes have no rhyme or reason to what's in them, it isn't worth it. One man's trash is another man's treasure, so one table would have a card for a dollar because it never sells for them in their CA or NY shop, and the next has the same for $5, because it was a Chicago player, and the show was in Chicago.
    The Card companies offer giveaways, but they are over-hyped and under-delivered. The dealers who sell wax know what the giveaways are and what is needed to get them, so they put those boxes out so they are easily accessible, which is nice (i.e. 4 packs of Upper Deck Goodwin Champions needed for one free promo pack, so many will open a box and sell in bundles of 4). Always shop around, prices fluctuate per table even on boxes and 4 packs of Goodwin. The card companies also do various things to bring people in, Panini did free kids group breaks, Topps did pack wars and free spots in a group break, Upper Deck brought in a dog, and did some giveaway with tickets that I never figured out. The Topps guy doing pack wars had a bull horn and was possibly the most disliked person at the show, for those who didn't win at pack wars. He was quite loud and it went on for awhile, with artificial inflating of the crowd.
    Two years ago there was one or two Group Breakers, now there is a whole pavilion. They were all broadcasting live and breaking products, and I joined two that I didn't know, one of which gave me my cards the next day, no problem, the other kept making excuses that they hadn't sorted them yet and they were back in the hotel, and come back in the afternoon, and then come back the next day, etc. Since they do most of their business on the internet with people around the country and world, and spend a lot of time shipping out, it doesn't make that much sense for them to be on the show floor, since there wasn't an advantage if someone was buying a spot in front of them, instead of sending and watching a live stream. They were supposed to give out extra promo stuff for being at the show, but some did and some didn't.
    There is a lot of negotiating for single cards, whether you are trying to sell or buying. Personally, I'm not a big fan of that, but others love to haggle. Of course, everyone has a smart phone and can look at ebay and see completed sale prices, so you really aren't making an amazing deal nowadays.
    Also, it's warm, there are a lot of sweaty, smelly people, the floor consists of at least 90% men, crummy expensive food options at the concession stands ($3.00 for a bottle of water, $6.75 for a slice of pizza), the floors are unforgiving concrete, and there is a lot of noise. Some dealers don't acknowledge your existence, some are pushy trying to make sales.
    Let me know if anyone has any questions.

-arfmax

SCF Rewards
    Country

It was great to meet everyone from this website at this show. Don it was nice to finally meet you in person. I did get my thread up in the IP section. Is there another thread and/or section you have set up to where we can post our results from the National so we can see how the other members from the website did at this show?

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324 LastLast