Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Depends on how you look at it I guess. I didnt say its right to trust a 14 year old child to drive a vehicle either, because they are responsible for the lives of others. I'd rather not have a kid be in control of something that can kill people. For the same reasons, I dont trust them to make decisions that affect an entire nation (especially one I live in). So yes, ill agree its about trust.

I look at it like this. It's not like a massive teenage voting block is going to suddenly appear and affect any election. What it will do, is encourage any younger people that want to vote to become more active and involved in the process. That can only be a good thing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Interesting question. A lot of talk saying you all dont trust someone who is young making decisions for the nation.

Do you trust someone with the exact opposite views of you to make decisions for the nation?

Would a hard core conservative rather have an extremely liberal voter vote or a conservative 16 year old vote?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

I was simply pointing out that brain development varies, and although there are averages, that's what they are: averages. There are people on both ends of the spectrum.

and laws and rights are based on the average not the exception.
    so they might not seem fair to all, they are in place for a reason, average equals norm.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

and laws and rights are based on the average not the exception.
    so they might not seem fair to all, they are in place for a reason, average equals norm.

So if the "reason" is that young minds are not developed enough. Why do laws allow young minds to drive? Which action has more potential to cause harm?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I look at it like this. It's not like a massive teenage voting block is going to suddenly appear and affect any election. What it will do, is encourage any younger people that want to vote to become more active and involved in the process. That can only be a good thing.

That's an interesting view point that I hadn't looked at. I think my opinion on this is changing. I wonder if changing the age would boost voter turn out over years as these 16 year olds grow up. Would be interesting to see.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So if the "reason" is that young minds are not developed enough. Why do laws allow young minds to drive? Which action has more potential to cause harm?

i see your point here, and before. They've actually been trying for years to raise the driving age to 18 as well. I just dont see the voting age dropping even if this little town does it....ever.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why do laws allow young minds to drive? Which action has more potential to cause harm?

driving may kill a few people and in the worst case scenario cause some major accident killing a few dozen people, voting can wreck an entire city, state, and nation.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

driving may kill a few people and in the worst case scenario cause some major accident killing a few dozen people, voting can wreck an entire city, state, and nation.

Really?

The comparison IS one vote in the hands of a 16 year old versus a vehicle in the hands of a 16 year old. Based on your statement, every 16 year old would be voting for the same WRONG candidate.

And I have yet to see any election lead to wrecking a city, state or country anyway.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The comparison IS one vote in the hands of a 16 year old versus a vehicle in the hands of a 16 year old. Based on your statement, every 16 year old would be voting for the same WRONG candidate.

there are way more than one 16 year old driving

And I have yet to see any election lead to wrecking a city, state or country anyway.

Um, last two presential elections would be one good example.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Interesting question. A lot of talk saying you all dont trust someone who is young making decisions for the nation.

Do you trust someone with the exact opposite views of you to make decisions for the nation?

Would a hard core conservative rather have an extremely liberal voter vote or a conservative 16 year old vote?

I'll ask again.

Also, government is a common high school course taught across the country. For many, if you aren't the right age, you really don't have a chance to vote for 3-4 years after you learn about the government, voting, etc. I think it would increase participation from a young age.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast