Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Canadian Man Arrested By Border Agents For Refusing To Give Phone Passcode

Our resident Canadians present their beloved country as some sort of Utopia, but this reeks of an oppressive dictatorial style government.

Alain Philippon, a Quebec man that had flown back to Canada’s Halifax International Airport after a trip to the Dominican Republic, was stopped and arrested by border agents after he refused to offer up his phone’s passcode.

In a statement to CNET, a spokesperson for the Canadian Border Services Agency said Philippon was indeed “arrested under section 153.1 of the Customs Act for hindering,” and then cited that act, which “authorizes officers to examine all goods and conveyances including electronic devices, such as cell phones and laptops.”

http://www.businessinsider.com/alain...-agents-2015-3

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

This seems like an extreme request. I'm not sure about in Canada, but in the states wouldn't the authorities need to file for a warrant to gain access to his phone? I get that TSA agents or the similar in Canada would need access to test device hardware, but why would they need to see the digital content on the device to keep people safe?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

but why would they need to see the digital content on the device to keep people safe?

remote bomb detonator software?

I don't know, but are they turning on all the tablets and laptops and looking through files?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I don't know, but are they turning on all the tablets and laptops and looking through files?

Yeah, if they were looking for that sort of thing seems like they'd have to look at all devices that way.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

I would bet, they asked for the phone and the person turned it off. This started a landslide effect with the person refusing to give out the info to turn it back on. More than likely,both parties made this worse than it needed to be.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

First, we do live in Utopia. Never forget that. This is a case of a border agent overstepping their bounds and the Courts will sort it out in this man's favour. I have no doubt. With that said, our country is currently being run by a right-wing nut job. He will be gone later this year and we will be able to get back to being the country respected by most around the world. Hopefully our international reputation hasn't been hurt too much by Harper's reign.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This seems like an extreme request. I'm not sure about in Canada, but in the states wouldn't the authorities need to file for a warrant to gain access to his phone? I get that TSA agents or the similar in Canada would need access to test device hardware, but why would they need to see the digital content on the device to keep people safe?

That is debatable. Some law enforcement agencies are pushing to be able to access your phone as part of the typical search when you are a suspect or taken into custody. The Supreme Court ruled 9-0 that a warrant is required, but that never stopped police from violating civil rights before. I imagine that if they found your phone unlocked they would claim it is fair game since you didn't lock it.

That will probably be the stumbling block for them. From what I read this isn't typical, so they are probably going to lose based on that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

It must be Utopia because you folks are so bored you have to argue American politics all day.WIsh we had it that good
    First, we do live in Utopia. Never forget that. This is a case of a border agent overstepping their bounds and the Courts will sort it out in this man's favour. I have no doubt. With that said, our country is currently being run by a right-wing nut job. He will be gone later this year and we will be able to get back to being the country respected by most around the world. Hopefully our international reputation hasn't been hurt too much by Harper's reign.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

It must be Utopia because you folks are so bored you have to argue American politics all day.WIsh we had it that good

I argue Canadian politics on FB and in person, but it's hard to find anyone to argue with. All my friends and family tend to agree on political matters.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

That is no fun.
    I argue Canadian politics on FB and in person, but it's hard to find anyone to argue with. All my friends and family tend to agree on political matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast