Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Working Out for Hockey Cards.

Background:

I started getting in shape three years ago, and did really well by making a connection between my hobby and my workout - I was only allowed to buy hockey cards with money I earned by working out.

Worked great. I lost 30 pounds between february-june that year. I was stronger, faster, better than ever before.

And then, life got in the way. My wife and I welcomed our second child into the world, which immediately cut down on all workout time, and once you had the time, you were generally too tired. Then I got pneumonia. And a concussion. And I got swamped at college (came back to get another degree), and work, etcetera etcetera.

Life just sort of... happened. And training did not.

So now I'm here, weighing in at 215 pounds, 5 foot 7 tall. Asthma is kicking my butt, my back aches, my left shoulder is a bundle of pain from a dislocated shoulder that gave me an impingement a year ago, and I feel generally weaker than ever.

The positives: I'm stubborn as heck. I know what works for me. And I'm soon finished with my college education as a physical therapist.

So, it's time to get back to the old regimen. I've recently started tying my collecting to my hobby again, in an effort to get fit.

Here's how it works. Every activity is tied to a small monetary reward to keep me motivated and help me change my behaviour. Reaching a high goal I've set for myself also gives a monetary reward. I've set the rewards so the more challenging items on the list have better rewards. Here's the list:

Shoulder rehab: 1$
    One hour walk/run (to the best of my abilities): 2$
    Working out at the gym: 3$
    Reaching a goal: 5$

Starting out, I have two goals:
    - Go below 200 pounds.
    - Be able to run for 30 minutes.

As for my collection, I'm going to spend the cash gained on getting autographed cards on some of the biggest names in the game. I'll reserve two posts after this one: one to post the collection, and one to post the latest status update (to avoid flooding this thread with updates about how my workouts are going, I'll simply sum it up in that post, so the rest of the thread can focus on the cards as they start to arrive).

As for how I've done so far - I've done 4 runs, 4 gym visits, and 3 shoulder rehabs, for a total of 23 dollars.

If you want, feel free to challenge me! Post a card you'd be willing to part with, and a challenge for me, and I'll post a pic when/if I manage to complete the challenge as proof.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll get on board on this journey!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here's the list of players. If you think anyone of importance has been left out, give me a shout. I expect to have a lot of training to do before it's ever complete, though. ;-)

Forwards:
    Steven Stamkos
    Steve Yzerman
    Joe Sakic
    Peter Forsberg
    Mario Lemieux
    Wayne Gretzky
    Pavel Bure
    Doug Gilmour
    Mats Sundin
    Jean Beliveau
    Eric Lindros
    Markus Naslund
    Phil Esposito
    Paul Kariya
    Teemu Selanne
    Sidney Crosby
    Patrick Kane
    Jonathan Toews
    Phil Kessel
    Joe Thornton
    Gordie Howe
    Jarome Iginla
    Rick Nash
    Saku Koivu
    Brett Hull
    Pavel Datsyuk
    Mike Modano
    Sergei Fedorov
    Mark Messier
    Henrik Zetterberg
    Daniel Alfredsson
    Ron Francis
    Stan Mikita
    Jaromir Jagr
    Marcel Dionne
    Adam Oates
    Kirk Muller
    Jari Kurri
    Luc Robitaille
    Guy Lafleur
    Jeremy Roenick
    Bobby Clarke
    Bobby Hull
    John Tavares
    Tyler Seguin
    Evgeni Malkin
    Claude Giroux
    Nathan MacKinnon
    Vincent Damphousse
    Mike Bossy
    Michel Goulet
    Alexander Mogilny
    Pat Lafontaine
    David Keon
    Alex Ovechkin
    Niklas Backstrom
    Bernie Geoffrion
    Maurice Richard
    Milt Schmidt
    Bryan Trottier
    Martin St. Louis
    Henrik Sedin
    Daniel Sedin
    Ted Lindsay
    Ryan Getzlaf

Defencemen:
    Ray Bourque
    Nicklas Lidstrom
    Doug Harvey
    Zdeno Chara
    Paul Coffey
    Erik Karlsson
    P.K. Subban
    Al MacInnis
    Larry Robinson
    Borje Salming
    Denis Potvin
    Chris Chelios
    Bobby Orr
    Brian Leetch
    Chris Pronger

Goalies:
    Carey Price
    Patrick Roy
    Arturs Irbe
    Felix Potvin
    Martin Brodeur
    Henrik Lundqvist
    John Vanbiesbrouck
    Ed Belfour
    Curtis Joseph
    Marc-Andre Fleury
    Grant Fuhr
    Tuukka Rask
    Tim Thomas
    Dominik Hasek
    Chris Osgood
    Jonathan Quick
    Jacques Plante
    Bernie Parent
    Terry Sawchuk
    Gerry Cheevers
    Vladislav Tretiak
    Glenn Hall
    Ken Dryden
    Ron Hextall
    Jean-Sebastien Giguere
    Georges Vezina
    Tony Esposito

Collection so far:

cheevers.jpg
    Last edited by mcmercutio; 03-16-2015 at 05:15 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Starting status (27th february 2015):

Weight: 215 pounds.
    Max runtime: 8 minutes.
    Longest run: 1 km
    # of times at the gym: 0
    # of walk/runs: 0
    # of shoulder rehabs: 0

Current status (March 15th 2015):

Weight: 215 pounds.
    Max runtime: 20 minutes.
    Longest run: 2,50 km
    # of times at the gym: 4
    # of walk/runs: 4
    # of shoulder rehabs: 3

Latest workout:
    Went for a run today.
    2.5 km, 20 minutes run-time... approximately. Noticed that Runkeeper was on pause halfway through, so I turned it on after about 7-8 minutes of running.
    I felt pretty good though. The 1.5 km I managed to record on Runkeeper were at a 7.20 min/km pace, which is a minute shaved off from my starting pace.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

This is a really good idea. Its not easy to stay motivated. Its very easy to get sidetracked and just not want to go anymore. Definitely keep posting. I would love to see how this works out.

Keep up the hard work!
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

Good luck with your weight loss. If you are looking to run long distances, check out vancouver (canada) sun run training. They have a 14 week regimen to get you to do a 10 km run.

Also, don't weight yourself too often. The human body can gain/lose a couple of pounds over the day. Try bi weekly of even monthly weigh ins.

cheers & good luck!
    reoddai

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Good luck man!

I've fought the same thing over the last few years myself (I'm taller than you, at 6'0", but also significantly, heavier.... around 240 lbs now, but that's down from over 280 a couple of years ago). Getting into a routine, and sticking to it, that's what I've found to be the key (and it's always hard to get back into it, after you've broken that routine).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See quikgrif3's Items on eBay

Hey man great job! Keep it up! You found the system that works for you and that's all that matters. Stay dedicated and strong and you will achieve your goals, big or small!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you for all the kind comments. Really appreciate it!

Made my way to the gym to work out today, but ended up not being able to get to the equipment I needed since someone was hogging it and I was in a hurry. So I ended up doing a 20-minute rowing session and counted it as a cardio session instead of a gym session. That brought me to 25 dollars saved up.

An hour later, I landed this card on Ebay as my first purchase:

cheevers.jpg

Just love the glove piece on that card! And old-timers know how to write an autograph. Instead of these young whippersnappers who end up just writing their initials. Might as well write an X.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That's awesome Martin! Good on you! Nebula approves and shares the inspiration, he's lost some weight too! Down to 8.1kg, was as high as 8.7kg!

Congrats on the goals!
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

im doing the get back to my 20 year old weight ( 175) I am the exact same amount as you and am the exact same height, well its not card related but getting back into shape.. so I will follow you on your journey im on day 6... I feel better already not cramming fast food into my body and within 90 days I know I can look better, stay motivated this is my 3rd and last time doing this, not gonna let life get in my way of a healthy lifestyle again.. Keep it up Martin

DAVE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast