Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Anyone Else Watch Border Security?

I hate most reality shows, but there's only a handful of admittedly scripted shows out there, so I'm out of luck. One gem though, is "Border Security". This show features Canadian border guards (CBSA) doing their jobs to prevent unwanted people, substances, weapons, etc. It's a great show, and I've actually learned quite a bit, even as a Canadian.

It really boggles my mind what some people think borders are like. People think they can bring raw meat from Asia, Europe, anywhere really. What I find even worse is the people who don't know the basic border laws. People who argue their electronic devices can't be looked at or who argue that their half thawed raw beef shouldn't be taken away.

Anyway, it's a great show. Definitely one of my favorites, as is the Australian version Border Patrol: Australia's Front Line. I was curious to see if anyone else here watches it. Sometimes the border guards are jack wagons, but for the most part they seem really good at their jobs. The average traveller seems to be a moron, though.

Anyone else?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Haven't seen the show but I've been across the border multiple times at IF/Fort Francis. I find it interesting we were able to bring just about anything we wanted except for potatoes. Wish we could bring more fish back across :)

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Fresh potatoes are bad for transporting disease. Nothing against your potatoes.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

I have watched Border Security quite a bit. Like you said, it's a great show! Very informative, interesting, and you see a variety of unique people (innocent and guilty) who want to cross the border. I have definitely learned a lot from the show. A good friend of mine works for the CBSA and so it's neat to see the type of work he does. The main thing you don't see is all of the paperwork that goes with the job.

I watched a similar sort of show from the US a few weeks ago but wasn't impressed. Instead their agents were more confrontational with their questions as if people were immediately guilty of something. When they were suspicious of items/packages containing drugs they absolutely destroyed the items while opening them up. The Canadian and Australian are very different in that they are careful to open items because on occasion they come out empty handed. Even if they have to rip the lining of someone's luggage and find nothing, the CBSA covers the cost of replacing the luggage. Overall this US show was less informative, and more on the side of showing power, muscle, and destruction.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I've never seen an American version. It sounds exactly like I've imagined it would be.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I haven't seen that show but sounds interesting. It sounds funny that people are bringing raw beef across the border. I guess I've traveled with fish, but still makes me laugh.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

When it comes to Canada/US, most things are fine.

Funny thing though, I recently had a conversation with a CBSA about apples when returning from LA. We landed in Calgary and my wife declared fruit due to the McDonald's apple slices in her purse. He initially wanted us to hand them in, not because we were crossing the border with them, but because our final destination, was a valley very heavy in orchards and vineyards. Had we been going to Calgary or Edmonton or Vancouver it wouldn't have been an issue, but because we were continuing on to the Okanagan valley, the apples became an issue, though ultimately it was determined that, because they did not include seeds, they were fine.

This all took about 45 seconds.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mnt2007's Items on eBay

I could only imagine how many tunnels lead from Mexico to Anericna soil after watching that show