Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dayzdtomato's Items on eBay

Card pricing - I just don't get it

My primary objective, as a team collector, is to get as many Blazer cards as I can. For that reason, I'll often wait a few years to get certain players after they're not so hot. There are a few players though that have been complete busts in every sense of the word. However, their cards still demand a small fortune on sites like eBay and COMC.

A prime example is Greg Oden. The guy, at this point, is out of the league and not likely to return. He never accomplished much of anything in the NBA. He is a condenses bust in every sense of the word. However, there is still a Bowman gold autographed refractor on COMC selling for $138.99. That's almost $140 for a guy currently awaiting trial for domestic assault! Unless Oden himself is selling the card to cover legal expenses, that price makes no sense, regardless of whether the card is autographed, has a low serial #, etc.

Another example is Qyntel Woods. Who is Qyntel Woods you may ask? My point exactly. He still has cards going for up to $15, mainly because that's what they were worth back when he was drafted and still had a chance of being decent.

I hope that these prices will go down as sellers realize that they're not going to be moving much product at those prices. Until then, I'll just sit back and try to acquire stuff at prices that make more sense to me.
    Bring me your Portland Trail Blazers!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

You are right it is amazing how lower end players can demand high prices. Only thing I can figure is maybe print run on certain cards. I collect Lakers and cannot believe some asking prices for Jordan Famar and Luke Walton cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's ridiculous, I know.

I have the same problem you have, I was trying to find a Dan Dickau autograph on eBay and sellers wanted $15-$25 for them.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Unless Oden himself is selling the card to cover legal expenses

Oh my. Did not see that one coming. I almost spit out my beer.

Yeah, you have a good point there. I suppose there may always be some hardcore college fans of Oden, but Qyntel Woods? I remember that guy, but would prefer not to. His 1/1 cards shouldn't even be selling for $15.

I once had a Joel Przybilla rookie refractor from Topps Chrome that still goes for $20 hi book for some reason. The multipliers for the 2000-01 rookies are 5x, believe it or not. The 2000-01 rookie class! No one wants to pay that high for most of those guys.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

I think most of those cards on COMC, the sellers has forgoting aobut them and has never changed their price. For some reason Oden autos have always been high, however at this point, they should be next to nothing SV wise. I pulled a JJ Hickson auto from Brilliance the other day if your interested. scan is in bucket

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

[QUOTE=DunkingDurant35;13775567]Oh my. Did not see that one coming. I almost spit out my beer.

PRICELESS

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (5) Sports Card Freaks
    Country
    See andyg2350's Items on eBay

Most of the time it's just people who bought into the hype of a player. When that player doesn't quite make it, they try to recuperate as much back as they can, even if it means waiting a few years for a supercollector to bite the bullet. You'd be surprised how many collectors keep collecting a player, even if they have been out of the league for a few years.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Maybe collectors still recognise him as being a college great. Similar to players like Christian laettner, Adam Morrison, who are examples of players who never quite made it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dayzdtomato's Items on eBay

Ebay may be a better source to gauge the actual going price of a card, but I hate buying one offs and lower end cards on there when I can theoretically get a bunch on COMC and have one shipment. Guess there's no perfect way to cull together a collection.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think if a seller bought into the hype and paid $500 for a Greg Oden card and now it sells for let's say $10 they would rather just sit on it and hope somebody pays $200-$300 for whatever reason than just lose $490 on the deal. They figure a player collector or some set collector will be desperate and hit the buy it now or something. A part of me understands them if that's the case but I don't think it is because they think Oden will come back or that the card will ever go up to the price again. They are basically just trolling for a buyer to come along and overpay mightily for the card.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast