Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

That's a fair point. (I love when people actually discuss points) I'm just not sure it would be a big problem and think the possible benefits of a more engaged electorate might make the politicians more accountable.

I can agree with that. I think that if EVERYONE voted we wouldn't have people in congress for as long as they have been there.

If there was going to be a mandatory vote would it be just for presidential elections or federal elections or do we break it down to local ones as well?

How do you educate these non-voters as well? Do you ban mud slinging ads? Do you ban all TV ads?

I just feel that if you don't want to vote you don't have to. It shouldn't be a requirement.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I can agree with that. I think that if EVERYONE voted we wouldn't have people in congress for as long as they have been there.

If there was going to be a mandatory vote would it be just for presidential elections or federal elections or do we break it down to local ones as well?

How do you educate these non-voters as well? Do you ban mud slinging ads? Do you ban all TV ads?

I just feel that if you don't want to vote you don't have to. It shouldn't be a requirement.

All good questions to ponder.

I think you could start with Presidential elections and see how that goes. Do you have civics classes in your high schools? That may be a start to educating voters. I think campaign financing reform with spending limits could address limiting the TV ads and also may encourage people with less means to run for office. You could also encourage voters to want to vote by requiring a "none of the above" as a choice on the ballot.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

All good questions to ponder.

I think you could start with Presidential elections and see how that goes. Do you have civics classes in your high schools? That may be a start to educating voters. I think campaign financing reform with spending limits could address limiting the TV ads and also may encourage people with less means to run for office. You could also encourage voters to want to vote by requiring a "none of the above" as a choice on the ballot.

I feel they need to have educational only ads without mentioning the opposition.

Voting here you do not have to fill out the entire ballot. You can do what I did in 2008 and leave the presidential ballot blank.

We had civics in junior high (6th grade). I honestly don't remember much from that.

This is a little off topic but they need to have a real life education course in high school. (voting, taxes, loans, etc..)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Yes, there are a lot of things they could be teaching that they aren't.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

This is a great point if you do not want to vote you should not have to. But then you have those who are talked into voting by either party side. Those who don't give a hoot about issues they just vote because of the mud slinging like you call it. That is sad in my opinion because what is the nations average of non voters who get swayed. It is a broken system regardless.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The facts are, the more liberal we have become, the higher price our youth has paid. I would say it is a mix of the two, we need to encourage abstinence but also educate on safe practices.
    If you want your 13 year old daughter having sex, you need therapy!!

Shrew let's discuss this....

#1 It is statistically proven that the States that have abstinence only education have a HIGHER teen pregnancy rate than those that do proper sex ed.

#2 I don't know how old you guys are, but I still remember being a teenager....and being a male during your late teens all you think about is wanting to have sex, without the proper education, it can literally ruin my life if I act upon my urges.

#3 Shrew, no one is saying they want 13 year Olds to have sex, if I were a father I'd tell my son that he should focus on school and wait at least until you can deal with the consequences of sex, preferably after high school when you are an adult and can take proper responsibility, in the meantime the Internet and your right hand will be your best friend.

#4 And I'm not even joking about that, masturbation is a great way to release stress and to calm your urges, especially for males.....there are studies that show it is healthy to do this once in awhile, and suppressing your urges is not recommended.

#5 Despite my liberal views on sex, I do advocate for responsibility, it saddens me to think that any woman would treat an abortion like a contraception, and men who think that life is all about having as much sex as possible with many partners, I also don't agree with that.

But the important thing is that I don't want to get in the lives of people and FORCE them to take responsibility or even to do the "right" thing.

But at the very least I want them to be properly educated and to know the consequences of their actions, I think this is reasonable and logical.
    Last edited by JustAlex; 03-25-2015 at 05:37 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Manditory voting is a slippery slope. If you take away our freedom not to vote what's next? Since most of the people who are for mandatory voting are also against the second amendment i say repeal it. While you are at it repeal the first amendment too. Hell just eliminate the entire bill of rights as well as the constitution. They can also force women to have abortions against their will. Isn't that what some of you want deep down inside?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

#1 It is statistically proven that the States that have abstinence only education have a HIGHER teen pregnancy rate than those that do proper sex ed.

what about abortions, STD's, and single parent rates?
    I would also love to see the stats of those taught it at home versus those taught it at school.

also here is something I found

Abstinence-only-until-marriage have been around for well over 25 years, and yet there are still no published studies in peer-reviewed journals that shows that these programs are effective. In fact, there is mounting evidence that these programs simply don’t work.

http://www.siecus.org/index.cfm?fuse...7&parentID=523

this tells me that we have not looked at this with hard science. meaning "mounting evidence" is far from psychological research data.

I am not for only teaching abstinence, in fact I believe there is no way to "teach" it, you can either encourage it or use scare tactics.

That is why I stated in needs to be a mix. You need to tell kids they SHOULD wait and show them why. Then you should also teach about safe sex and show them why. I do not think we should hand out condoms or BC, but when I was a kid you could buy condoms at any gas station bathroom, so they should be accessible just not handed out.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

STDs as well as unwanted pregnancies are a public health hazzard. Not only should condoms be given out at schools and other public events they along with birth control should also be included in ALL health insurance plans.

SCF Rewards
    Country

When I hear mandatory voting coming out of the mouth of a member of Chicago Political Machine my fears turn immediately to voter fraud.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast