Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beckett is a waste ?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think when you pull a card like that, if you're looking for a "value" it's pretty easy to see comparables.

What do similar cards of this player sell for? What do similarly popular players from this set sell for? Its not an exact science.... but if Player X's parallels /10 consistently sell for $45.... and you just pulled a parallel of that player /10, its a safe bet it will sell for about $45.

It just feels like they way things are going there are a lot of sp cards lower number cards and if there is no listings are n eBay we do not know the real value. I'm suggesting a scale to grade in known value of a card a list players b list players c list players

SCF Rewards
    Country

I lost faith in Beckett years ago (sorry Beckett) when it kept pumping out a Guide with no price changes for 99% of the items listed, even though the prices were obviously changing when looking at what eBay, card shows and dealers were doing. Back then, I was collecting a player and his Beckett prices had absolutely no basis in reality (they still don't). That along with many other cards, convinced me that Beckett was irrelevant. I realize people will have different opinions, however (and this will date me) I still remember a time when the new Beckett came out and there were many price changes (up and down arrows) so it looked like Beckett's staff was actively investigating what was happening in the market place (i.e. doing their job to earn their customers' money). I also spoke with my LCS and it was getting phone calls from Beckett to ask about trends...but that was years ago and those phone calls have long since stopped. So after years of neglect on the part of Beckett (IMO), I went from being a "Beckett believer" to a "Beckett nay-sayer" and stopped buying it. I suspect it still has some interesting articles from time to time but it's not the price guide it purports to be. Just my 2 cents and for those who like to refer to Beckett, by all means do so.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

If you compare to 25 years ago (jeeze) the prices in Beckett were like gospel. My LCS (which is still going strong) would charge a slight premium on some as well citing being in Habs market. There was no internet (not for regular folk like me, anyway) so you bought singles at the LCS, which followed Beckett quite closely. Nowadays, what I am finding is older items tend to be way out of wack...usually on the high side, but sometimes undervalued as well. I have found Beckett pricing to be relatively accurate lately right around release time for any given product, as long as you take into account both the high and low pricing, but fails to follow up to adjust pricing as time goes on.

SCF Rewards
    Country

From my experience Beckett generally has decently accurate pricing for vintage cards, as well as the current year, but a whole swath of stuff from 1990 - 2014 it just seems they can't be bothered to update so it's next to useless for me in if I ever wanted to look up values on my Sedin cards.

The whole not priced due to scarcity thing is also a real bummer... it's easy enough to research prices on the more readily available cards, the one place a price guide would really help me is exactly where they fail. I'd love to know roughly how much HG's, or OPC Blank Backs, or even Cup Black 1/1's go for, but the most 'reliable and relied upon' guide in sports has nothin'. I know these are harder items to price, but I can come on these forums and within hours get a good estimate from the fine folks here on just about any card in existence (after filtering out the usual trolls of course), so I always wonder why is a paid publication less useful than this great resource?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

Beckett is a complete waste IMO. If you want to know what your card is worth go on ebay and look it up. Its not hard and takes about 5 seconds. Why do you want someone/something (Beckett) telling you what your card is worth? Especially when they aren't even accurate.

If you cant find it on ebay then you aren't going to find it on Beckett either. Honestly I don't see why people trade with it.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Beckett is a complete waste IMO. If you want to know what your card is worth go on ebay and look it up. Its not hard and takes about 5 seconds. Why do you want someone/something (Beckett) telling you what your card is worth? Especially when they aren't even accurate.

If you cant find it on ebay then you aren't going to find it on Beckett either. Honestly I don't see why people trade with it.

Amen!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (89)
    Country
    Cincinnati Bengals New York Rangers NULL

Beckett is just a hardcopy reference. Just use it to make sure you aren't buying a $5 card for $300.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree more.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kcfutures9's Items on eBay

I haven't bought a beckett in a year. They do have an impact on the market though. When beckett drops prices on a card they decline on ebay and vice versa when beckett moves a card up. Enough people still use beckett that it has some value but to me I just use terapeak.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See shapsplayhouse's Items on eBay

There are enough cards in the market which are numbered to 10-25 now that if they are experts they should be able to put some sort of value on a card and player. The rookies I can understand, but I have so many Robinson cards where there is no value, yet again if they went off BIN's on Ebay each card would be worth $150-300 each.
    Experts they are not cause they are too afraid of the whip lash they will get for some cards not being worth others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast