Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beckett is a waste ?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Tapouttazz9's Items on eBay

Beckett is a waste ?

So I just purchased the Beckett guide online to start priceing my collection. I notice that 85% of itg cards are not priced At all??? For instance itg stickwork is all NA for pricing. Beckett is no good if it can't give me a estimated price am I wrong ? I understand somewhat on low numbers cards and 1/1 but there are so many cards that have no price value in Beckett. I guess there just a big waste and we should let eBay decide our cards value ?

SCF Rewards
    Country

The most copies of any card inserted into Stickwork was 19, if I recall correctly. That would likely be the reason for no pricing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

I usually buy one per year because of trading purposes (unless I need one for a more specific reason). They serve their purpose in trying to find a common price point for a card, but obviously it's important to realize that it isn't the be all end all. Usually I look at the book, then check ebay, and find some sort of common ground.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

They won't price anything under 20 (or 25?) copies, because there would not be sufficient market data to get a price range.

Lot's of things I find useless with Beckett (I'm convinced they use a formula to price cards, not actual market research) but I have to agree with that policy.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

While one may have their own opinions about Beckett's utility, it's pretty common knowledge that cards under a certain print run don't get priced due to scarcity. There's a lack of sufficient market information to make a proper assessment--if a card from Stickwork has a print run of 9, they'll see some wild swings from one auction to the next BIN listing...if any even surface.

Remember always that Beckett is a reference guide, and shouldn't be used as anything more than that. We see it all the time with cards that are priced out of whack with what they'll actually go for on a regular basis.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

They won't price anything under 20 (or 25?) copies, because there would not be sufficient market data to get a price range.

Lot's of things I find useless with Beckett (I'm convinced they use a formula to price cards, not actual market research) but I have to agree with that policy.

Actually these days their new cut-off seems to be a print run of 10 as you can find the pricing for the ITG Silver Stickwork cards out of 19.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kcfutures9's Items on eBay

Beckett should not be taken too seriously. They try to price items but the market changes so rapidly with the release of new products and volatile players. I buy it sometimes for the articles and product previews but ebay offers a nice market value on cards since a lot of collectors use it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The only way today to build a proper price guide is to pull and analyze sold data from Ebay. For vintage graded there is a great subscription tool called Vintage Card Prices. I can run a query on PSA 7 1965 Esposito's and see the last 30 sales, with images of the card sold and a link to the auction.

If I wasn't so busy with work and family I'd build out a similar pricing engine using raw Ebay data for modern and raw cards. I'm surprised Beckett never took this route, focused on their core service - card pricing - and partnered with Ebay as opposed to trying to build their own marketplace.

SCF Rewards
    Country

25 is no longer a threshold for Beckett to not price something. That was the case before when those cards were limited but now with a lot of low numbering in sets I've seen them price stuff way lower than that. Why they do it for some sets and others I don't know but maybe they have more interest in non ITG stuff?
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Tapouttazz9's Items on eBay

It just feels like they way things are going there are a lot of sp cards lower number cards and if there is no listings are n eBay we do not know the real value. I'm suggesting a scale to grade in known value of a card a list players b list players c list players

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast