Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Greengoblin782's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

Mexican wrestler dies following match with ex-WWE superstar Rey Mysterio

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

I didn't realize there was a thread for this as I posted this in the Raw/Smackdown thread. Probably what happened is you made this thread while I was typing out all of my thoughts.. Anyway here is my take:

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/Luch...In_Mexico.html

Very tragic death to a young luchador star in Mexico last night. Perro Aguayo, Jr. aka El Hijo del Perro Aguayo wrestled in a tag team match last night partnered with Manik aka Suicide in TNA versus Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Extreme Tiger aka Tigre Uno in TNA. The hospital says he died from cervical spine trauma allegedly caused from a dropkick by Mysterio which allegedly caused Aguayo to land on the ring ropes causing him to snap his neck. El Hijo del Perro Aguayo was the son of lucha libre legend, El Perro Aguayo who some might remember was in the 1997 WWF Royal Rumble with other lucha libre legends such as Mil Mascaras and El Canek.

After watching the 2 videos in the link, it's hard for me to believe that Rey's dropkick really is the cause. This "freak injury" could've been sustained prior to the dropkick in 2 scenarios. The first scenario could've been when Perro rolled over Tigre Uno to get to Rey in the corner, Perro doesn't get back to a vertical base easily, he stumbles. Maybe Perro injured his neck in the roll? Or possibly when he tried to stand up? Next, now Rey comes over to do a Hurrancarana by jumping onto Perro's upper body. This is where my Scenario #2 comes in where Perro may have been seriously hurt but unknown to him. There's a part I find weird where I think Rey applies pressure while on Perro's shoulders to flip him but Perro doesn't do the move and by not doing the move all this pressure is on Perro's neck since Rey has his legs around his neck and is forcefully trying to pull him down to sell the Hurrancarana. Perro doesn't take the Hurrancarana fluidly if you look closely at the videos provided, especially in video #1. It seems both Rey & Perro weren't together on the timing for the Hurrancarana and it looks to me like Rey pulls "violently" on Perro's neck to perform the move and either Perro wasn't ready yet and/or was off balance. Moving on now, Perro sells it and goes flying outside the ring and in these few seconds I bet he feels pain and/or numbness in his neck/upper body because as fast he gets back up on the ring apron he rolls into the ring slowly and slowly gets up to a vertical base - even using a ring rope to help him get back to his feet. Also, it's kind of odd he flies outside the ring because it looks as if he should be in the ropes being setup for Mysterio's "619" finishing move. Now Rey dropkicks Perro on like the left side of his body, kind of on his left back. This dropkick to the left side of Perro's body doesn't help matters ANY and is what I think is the "final blow" to make Perro lose total and complete consciousness

It's very sad and tragic this whole ordeal, yet I'm really bewildered as to how this happened. It doesn't look like Perro landed into the ropes hard enough via Rey's dropkick for him to "crush his neck". Ring ropes are very hard and basically are cables, I know this but still.

I really feel bad for all parties involved. This is something the surviving wrestlers will never forget. I just hope Rey isn't blaming himself, I really don't think it's his fault but as you can see in the videos he's very distraught as he is on one knee on the other end of the ring with Tigre Uno with their hands together praying for their fallen wrestling hermano who was just taken away by medical personnel.

I'm pissed at the referee for not coming over to check on Perro's well being. Rey comes over to check on Perro. As well as Manik and Konnan. What Konnan did by moving him rubbing his back and all that was so bad too. But I just think nobody realized how crucial the situation was. Those precious minutes flew by and it took a while before Aguayo was taken away. Such a shame.

R.I.P. Perro Aguayo, Jr.
    1979 - 2015

SCF Rewards
    Country

That Yahoo article says "Mysterio delivered a dropkick and landed his patented “619” on Ramirez — a move where a wrestler has his head draped on the second rope and receives a kick to the face. Unfortunately the move didn’t go off as planned." Ummm, HUH? Mysterio dropkicked Aguayo yes, but he never hit the "619" on him. What in the world?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Looks to me ...1st kick looks to go off ok,,,until he rolls over backward summersault...that could have been the initial damage....I think the Hurrancarana played a huge part because like you said...Mysterio really whipped and snapped his head violently....that was probably the end....even though he had enough strength to make it back in the ring...and get dropped kicked 1 last time.WHen he doesnt move on the ropes after the 619 attempt...you know something is wrong.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A tragic mishap but I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I've seen matches where guys get power bombed or something and it looks like their neck would break the way they hit the mat. Thankfully nothing happens but what happened here seems to be so minor compared to that. I didn't see it and don't have any intentions of doing so but this seems more like a freak accident kind of thing.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Perro could've previously had a concussion and never known or possibly a neck injury and not known. Factor in 20 years of being a pro wrestler since he was 15 years old and that's a lot of punishment on the body itself. Very sad and tragic. His wake was yesterday and I think his funeral is today. His father must've been told as pics surfaced of him arriving at his son's wake yesterday. I can't believe (if this is true) that Rey is getting death threats in Mexico.
    I did some research on cervical spine trauma and it seems to me had Perro survived he may very well have become a quadriplegic, losing motion and feeling in all 4 major limbs (legs and arms). This could be why his body looks so lifeless and motionless whilst he was on the ring ropes. All that unnecessary movement of Manik, Rey and Konnan checking on him was so bad. But they simply thought he was knocked out and were trying to wake him up. Also, taking him away on a piece of plyboard and not a stretcher was bad but they did the best they could since the stretcher was backstage being used by a different wrestler who had hurt his back. Not having a neck brace while transporting Perro was bad too. Do you guys realize that the hospital was 1 block away? I'm not familiar with Mexico but I live in NYC and we at times have some very long city blocks but really how far did the ambulance have to drive to? Such a sad and tragic situation. I hope Perro and his family and friends and the surviving wrestlers in the match (especially Rey) find peace.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I can't believe (if this is true) that Rey is getting death threats in Mexico.

Wow if true. Rey didn't intentionally do it and he probably feels awful about it. Everybody in the ring performs knowing there is a risk involved and this just seems like a very freak accident.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Rey and Konnan were pallbearers at Perro's funeral. They were asked to be by his family. Also, Rey said during a live Q&A that he won't be retiring (so GOOD and happy he decided not to, at least not yet). I really want to see him in LUCHA UG.