Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: "Event worn" materials

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ninjakyrre's Items on eBay

"Event worn" materials

This has propably been discussed before, but I have to ask.
    How serious do you take the reality of event worn jersey.

I was sorting my Fasth collection when the question appeared.

• Fleer showcase RPA #375
    • Dominion Rpa /199
    • Dominion gold Rpa /50
    • The Cup Rpa /249
    • Peerless Patches /50

Well you understand where this is going, how many jerseys have gone to make patch cards? Anyone have sone inside in the matter?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I know for the rookie events the jerseys have extra patches sewn on the jerseys like rookie 2014 there are rookie ud ultimate patches with some of those patches

SCF Rewards
    Country

I definitely question the legitimacy of event-worn material... for example in 12-13 Prime, Panini had "event worn" helmet stickers that they initially claimed were worn during the skills competition, but after a search of Getty images showed the only players wearing helmets were the few guys in the speed skating competition and of course goalies during the breakaway competition, the tune changed to the helmets having been worn 'at some point during the all-star weekend'. Maaaybe contractually the players were obliged to try on their helmets in the dressing room or something like that, but really, if that's all they did that's pretty lame (especially when all of Panini's promo material advertised Prime as having "game-worn" helmet stickers prior to the product hitting store shelves).

I realize game-worn jerseys are expensive for manufacturers and they're looking for alternatives, but they're really stretching the bounds of credulity with some of the items they put out that have perhaps allegedly touched an athlete's body. UD's Draft Boards, Panini's All-Star locker nameplates, net shields from Outdoor games, these are all pretty cool innovations, but event worn to me is no different than a plain old manufactured patch card.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

This photo destroys it for me:

That is of the New Orleans Saints running back Mark Ingram. I know that this is the NFL, but it isn't a far stretch to see things like this in other leagues I would think. Obviously he is wearing well over 10 jerseys to have them all count as "event warn". Before I saw this I was okay with it, figuring that they were photoshoot jerseys, or draft day jerseys. I would never pay a premium for one though, especially after seeing this.
    Please check my inventory before my photobucket!!! It's more up to date!!!
    Looking for LPGA GOLFERS ​and BUFFALO SABRES
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Top Want: 2012 Leaf Metal Anna Nordqvist Award Winners Prism Gold 1/1

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There's a photo of a Penguins jersey (2008, I think??) where the back of the jersey, in patch lettering, says:

"PITTSBURGH PENGUINS 2008 ROOKIE PHOTOSHOOT" (or something like that).

Even the Shields. How many Rookie Shield cards are there?? For Nathan MacKinnon last year, I counted 12 when looking really quickly.

Panini did buy one of his gammers, so that's where a single shield came from.

You know the answer is "event warn jerseys have multiple shields on them"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Heres the Pens jersey mentioned above.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That's the one. Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What is worse is the "letter" cards where they just cut up nameplates that never go on jerseys and have the player sign them, giving the impression that they are game used, and most people just assume that. (Yet, when they are numbered #/75, nobody seems to care). Or even worse is the "team marks" where they spell out the team name, not the players, so you have players signing letters that aren't even in their name. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marc-Andre-Fleury-08-09-Sp-Game-Used-Auto-Team-Marks-50-Penguins-/271815594575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f4978 d24f There is no "P" in Marc-Andre Fleury.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

All the statements above are reasons why I stick to SP Authentic rookies. I try to avoid products like The Cup, SPx, etc which have jerseys/patches in them (but I will get them if a specific player doesn't have a rookie card in SP Authentic).

I can think of only two cards that I have from The Cup: Torey Krug ARP (incoming) and Reilly Smith ARP.