Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

4 Boxes of Superlaive Vault - Just Line up over here to get started

I had a very rough start to my day today, so I was looking forward to picking up my 4 boxes of Superlative Vault from OT Sports cards in Vancouver. Great place to go BTW. Not only did he have my vault, but a box of 14-15 Panini NHL (stickers) waiting for me. I've opened only one box so far and I plan to break the rest throughout the day. If you like the Vault, keep your eyes peeled for my next thread on them, as I've also ordered a case's worth from BreakawaySC.

Can anyone tell me what the red/blue/green stamps signify, if anything?

Pre-break throughts: Anything Maurice Richard would be awesome. Otherwise, Vintage Habs! Onto the break!
    Link to bucket if you don't want the exposition

First out of the pack!....

1415SuperlativeVault_Franchise_AutographBlue_Salming_TOR.jpg

Looking pretty good. Salming Superlative Franchise Autograph (Blue version, Red Vault). HOF Toronto Maple Leaf. He's no Hab, but a HOF, one of the best Swedes to play the game and the European who opened the doors for Europeans to gain acceptance in the NHL.

Text on the back of the card: Borje Salming Played 16 Seasons for the Toronto Maple Lafs [typo intentional on my part]. Between 1973-74 and 1988-89, he appeared in 1,099 regular season games.

Next up....

1415SuperlativeVault_Franchise_Enshrined_Moore_TOR.jpg

Toronto Followup to a Toronto Card. Looking like a Toronto Box. Dickie Moore Superlative Franchise Enshrined (Blue Version / 9, green Vault). I must admit that I've never heard of the guy being in Toronto, but the back of the card helped a lot.

A former two-time Art-Ross Trophy winner, Dickie Moore played one season for the Toronto Maple Leafs after a spectacular run with the Montreal Canadiens (alright, now I'm interested). He was inducted in the Hallo f Fame in 1974.

So, another HOF, vintage GU is a plus. A quick search on Wikipedia tells me what I really want to see. He played 12 seasons for Montreal and only one for Toronto. If only this card was red instead of blue, but I'll just imagine it to be Montreal Habs Blue instead. Closest I could get without learning how to use paint shop.
    1415SuperlativeVault_Franchise_Enshrined_Moore_MON.jpg

Card #3.....

1415SuperlativeVault_Franchise_FamousFabrics_HolyGrail_Francis_PIT.jpg

Alright, we've gotten away from Toronto. This is a Ron Francis Holy Grail (Silver Version / 9, Blue Vault). Its a respectable piece, with good character. The text on the back says that this came from a Pittsburgh Penguins Jersey.

While he may have been one of the great playmakers in NHL History, Francis also has a knack for scoring big goals. His goal in game four of the 1992 Finals against Chicago proved to be the Cup-winner and brought PIttsburgh its second Straight Championship.

I also remember hearing that his trade from Hartford to Pittsburgh was considered one of the key moves prior to the deadline, which is probably confirmed byt he story above.

Card #4!
    My eyes bulged a little when I pulled it.

1415SuperlativeVault_StartingLineUp_Worters_Shore_Clancy_Stewart_Morenz_Conacher_NYA_Glove_Glove.jpg
    Superlative Starting Lineup (Silver /9, Green Vault), Roy Worters(jersey), Eddie Shore (glove), King Clancy (glove), Nels Stewart (skate), Howie Morenz (glove), Charlie Conacher (pants). Worters' bottom stitch is a difference colour, Shore has a hole in the glove and Morenz has stitching and wear. The back of the card specifically states that the Worters is from the New York Americans. The rest are indicated only by equipment piece.

This looks to be the 1930's Starting line up. While there is no text about this on the back, here's the quick rundown from wiki. Most Ross's aren't really valie since it was awarded after this period.
    Worters: 1969 HOF, Hart, Vezina, Shortest to ever play the game & first to record back to back shut outs. NY Americans Goalie
    Shore: 1947 HOF, 2x Stanley, 4x Hart, at one time held record of most PIMs with 165. Boston D.
    Clancy: 1958 HOF, 3x Stanley, Toronto & Ottawa D
    Stewart: 1952 HOF, 1x Stanley, 2x Hart, 1x Ross on Montreal's (Maroons) first line for 7 seasons, along with Boston and NWA
    MOrenz 1945 HOF, 3x Stanley, 3x Hart, 2x Ross, Montreal's Center for 12 seasons. Died at 34 one of the most revered Montreal players to date.
    Conacher 1961 HOF, 1x Stanley, 2x Ross. A member of the infamous kid line and a line mate of Clancy.

An earlier version of this Superlative card has Aurele Joliat instead of Charlie Conacher. I guess this was built with the Toronto fan in mind, instead of the Montreal fan, or maybe Conacher was just better than Joliat.

Thanks for the look folks. That was just the FIRST box! I haven't opened the other three, so who knows its all downhill, or uphill from here! Although, its going to be hard to beat, or even meet that Startling lineup.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

oh! Very excited to see the rest!

SCF Rewards
    Country

what does a box go for?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Box #2! Although, 1 & 4 are this boxe's numbers

If you're watching this live, thanks for sticking with me. I had to do a video for the wife and now I'm taking a break. Box #2, card number 1!

1415SuperlativeVault_2012FallExpo_StrikingOil_Messier_Kurri_Fuhr_Coffey_EDM.jpg

2012 Fall Expo Striking Oil Combos with Messier, Kurri, Fuhr & Coffey all pictured in Edmonton (Silver /9, Red Vault). I have a soft spot for Canadian teams, so even though this isn't Montreal, I'm still happy. I already have a similar card in my PC to showcase the battles between the NYI and Edmonton in the early 80's. (see below)
    1011ITGDecades_Franchises_Edmonton.jpg1011ITGDecades_Franchises_Islanders.jpg

However, I am totally happy with this card.

Card #2!... hit of the box?

1415SuperlativeVault_1000Points_Ratelle_NYR.jpg
    Famous Fabrics, 1000 Points of Jean Ratelle (Gold Version 1/1, Vault Red). This piece is boasting an absolutely ridiculous tri colour patch from the New York Rangers with 6 colour breaks and a very thick piece. Text on the back of the card:

On April 3, 1977, Jean Ratelle registered his 1,000 point while a member of the Boston Bruins. Ratelle accomplished the feat in 1,007 games and became the 12th player in League history to reach the 1,000th point plateau.

The very near definition of a point per game player (0.993 pts/game). Jean would go on to play for boston for 4 more seasons to accumulate 1267 ponts in 1281 games. While no Stanley cup to his name, he beat those Russians in 1972!

Card #3!

1415SuperlativeVault_Patch_Chelios_DET.jpg

An absolutely stunning Chris Chelios patch with part of the wheel. (Gold /10, Blue Vault). Originally drafted by Montreal, Chris went on to play in 26 NHL seasons, tied with Gordie Howe. This guy is a trooper and, to keep my streak alive, inducted into the HOF in 2013. So far, I've got 7 cards and 15 HOF players. How long can this keep going?

Card #4
    I do like my vintage players
    Habs you say?
    But you've been hit with Leafs too?
    1415SuperlativeVault_FirstCix_CupFilan_Watson_Broda_Lach_Durnan_TOR_MON.jpg
    The First Si, 1947 Cup Final featuring Harry Watson, Turk Brode, Elmer Lach & Bill Durnan. The Watson specifically says from a Toronto Maple Leafs game. Broda (glove), Lach (skate) and Durnan (glove), just indicate game-used. No indication on the card, but the SCF inventory says its likely a Silver Version /9 (Red Vault).

I've been looking for a Broda piece (just him on the card) for a while now and he seems to be incredibly hard to find, so I know that this is a good piece.

Why these 4 on the card? Well, Broda was the goaltender through the whole series for Toronto and did a great job near the end. I can't find much on Watson, but he had 5 points in 11 games. Apparently, Lach wasn't even in this series due to an injury inflicted by Don Metz earlier in the season. I guess this means that he's there... in spirit (?). I couldn't confirm that Durnan was in net for Montreal the whole series, but I have to imagine he was. Apparently after the first 6-0 loss by Toronto in the first game, Durnan quipped "How did those guys get in the league?". So how did Montreal fair?

Lost to Toronto in 6 games. I'm still looking for my Montreal love, Superlative vault. Don't taunt me with a Toronto box and Montreal players who weren't even in the finals on a card that says "Cup finals"!

Stay tuned for Boxes 3 & 4.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country

what does a box go for?

At OT Sports card, I purchased 4 boxes at 125$ each (tax incld). His website says that free shipping is available when purchasing 250$ within Canada.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Unreal! I've been in on (and seen) 4 cases with zero Quad + vintage (including one where I had 1st pick :() and you got 2 in 2 boxes. Keep it going!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Box #3... what'll it be?

This time, I'm doing a real time post for myself. Writing about one card at a time.

When I bought this, the dealer said something interesting. On the back of the box it says "There is NO Customer Service available on any of these cards". I guess they really want to make it clear that all their replacements are gone (out, in the 'Vault').

Here's hoping for some Montreal!

On to card #1!
    1415SuperlativeVault_TrophyCase_Esposito_Dryden_Orr_Esposito_Ratelle_CHI_MON_BOS_NYR.jpg

Right off the bat an awesome card. All Hall of Famers again with a return of Mr. Ratelle. Famous Fabrics, 1971-72 Season with Dryden (Calder), Tony Esposito (Vezina), Orr (Norris), Phil Esposito (Ross), Orr (Hart) and Ratelle (Byng). Without turning the card over to see what's below, the Dryden looks like a pad while everything else is a jersey. This piece is my first Dryden AND first Orr piece I've ever had come through my collection. For a second I thought that Montreal were the Stanley cup winners with Dryden getting the Calder, but a quick check shows that they had it the previous season when Dryden took them to the finals as a rookie (and probably won the Calder the following season because of it) and then again a year later, again with Dryden. So, I got the distinction of the non-cup year, but wow, what a year with Orr going as both Hart and Norris winners. I will also say that the Orr HArt piece is the nicest in this set of six. After flipping the card, I also see that this is the Gold 1/1 version, (makes sense with 4 dual colours) and its stamped Red Vault. What a way to start a box! Is this the box hit already?

Card number 2.
    1415SuperlativeVault_Jersey_HenrikSedin.jpg

A Nice Henrik Sedin Game Used Jersey piece. I like this set of Superlative Jerseys because they took the time to make the borders the same colours as the team's colours. The green and blue backgrounds really bring out the Silver game used piece. Its hard to wax on about this card with what preceded it, but its got a nice mug shot which is a plus for ITG cards. However, if anyone can tell me if that's the normal way his face looks, I will absolutely stop laughing at it. He has what I would call a "1000 mile stare". Unfortunately, Mr. Sedin, you are my first non-HOF pull in 3 boxes. Although you are a Hart and Ross trophy winner, is that enough to get you in the HOF without a Stanley Cup when your turn comes? Time will tell. Silver Version /30, Red Vault Stamp.

Onto to the card!
    Just some suspense, I have no idea if this is deserved or not
    Card #3
    1415SuperlativeVault_HistoryOfConnSmythe_Trottier_NYI.jpg

Histry of the Conn Smythe, Trottier tri-colour. Back on the HOF train. This is a very respectable piece. Because of my 80's Islanders card I posted earlier, I know a little about Bryan Trottier. At least a 4 time Stanley Cup winner with the New York Islanders, this piece looks like it was worn during those heady days. He's also (obviously) a Conny smythe winner. Quck trip to the wiki says he won 2 more Stanley cups with Pittsburgh. He's also notched an Art Ross & Hart in 1979. He was right next to Bossy on the first line and probably over shadowed in the Canadian Media with Gretzky's debut during their 4 uninterrupted Stanley Cup Victories, an UNHEARD of accomplishment if you weren't Montreal. I guess it was the season fofr Dynasties in the early 70's and 80's. First Montreal, then NYI, then Edmonton. Way to go Bryan! Stamped Vault Red. Without flipping the card over, I'll guess that this is a(nother) Gold 1/1 since the "History of the Conn Smythe" is printed in gold and that patch looks amazing in its 3 colours.

and now, the last card of the pack....
    Card number 4, hidden under the Trottier is....
    1415SuperlativeVault_AutographPlusEmblem_Hall_SPF.jpg

Superlative Prospect, Autograph Plus Emblem of Taylor Hall. A quick look at the back of the card, says Gold (but is not numbered on the back). Quick check to the SCF forum shows the third gold 1/1 in this box. Taylor was the first pick overall in 2010. Is the Jury still out on the 2010 draft? A lot of players from that draft are still making their mark (Seguin, Hall, Gudbranson, etc.), but no stand out player. Mostly because Seguin was the guy that "could have been to Toronto" and Hall is on an Edmonton team that boasts a lot of youth and fire power, but doesn't seem to be going anywhere this season. Let's hope for some team work and growth next year!

The autograph is superb and that patch looks really interesting. Sort of part of an "R". The back of the card doesn't give any hint to what team the jersey is from as it just says "game used", but NHL, OHL, or otherwise is anyone's guess. The R isn't from Rebook with another letter so close to the left, but I suppose it could be the 'R' from "Spitfires". I just can't find any "Spitfires" test in that format and that kine of white stitching. Its probably one of the many variations of their spitfires logo through.

Thanks for your patience and attention. Unless you're a Hall fanatic, that first hit was the box hit!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Unreal! I've been in on (and seen) 4 cases with zero Quad + vintage (including one where I had 1st pick :() and you got 2 in 2 boxes. Keep it going!

Previous post doesn't have a quad plus "vintage" (Pre 50s?), but it still a killer card from a previous era. I'm still happy with it!

One more box to go! I half want to go back to OT sports and buy up his last 4 boxes. Who knows what's in there.

Cheers,
    reoddai

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Congrats on the nice hits. Back to work for me.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

Box #4 - Last Chance for Habs

Onto the fourth and final box for the night. As I said, I have a case incoming, so there is still a chance for the Habs to represent, but this is the last chance for them tonight. Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Its been an epic break for me so far, and no matter how this one turns out, I'm super happy with this product, but let's go big on the final shot guys! Once again, I'll be calling them as they get pulled, no saving big hits for last or knowing what comes next.

onto... CARD #1!!!!
    1415SuperlativeVault_TeamSuperlativeHartWinners_Lemieux_Thornton_Sakic_PIT_SJS_COL.jpg

Team superlative, Hart winners. Triple Jersey Expo redemption, so likely /9 with a Red Vault Stamp. Not my favourite type of card to be honest, but its still a bunch of great players. Its my first Lemieux Pack pulled game used. Paired up with Thornton in his teal GU piece and a (slight) two colour Sakic, 3 solid players for sure. Thornton is another non-HOF, but with both a Hart and a Ross under his belt and an olympic gold, and a PPG rate nearly mirroring that of Ratelle, he could be an eventual inductee. Sakic gets bonus points for his time in Quebec, but is pictured as Colorado in the photo.

So far, my best hits have been in the #1 and #4 position. Will we see a trend with a #2 box hit? onto card number 2!!!
    1415SuperlativeVault_GameUsedJersey_Dionne_LAK.jpg
    Superlative Jersey Marcel Dionne in a Kings uniform. Another HOF player who started in Detroit, but really became known in LA. Solid yellow piece with a nice puck mark on it. My lack of habs and long night are starting to wear down on me, so its tough to find something to say about the centre of the triple crown line. I will say that I have a Double Jersey Auto of Mr. Dionne from the 04-05 Franchises set, so this'll be a trader. Silver text = Silver version /30 with red Vault stamp. A hint of red is seen behind Mr. Dionne for card #3....
    1415SuperlativeVault_TrophyCase_ArtRossTrophy_Beliveau_MON.jpg
    AND THE HABS MAKE AN APPEARANCE! Welcome Jean Beliveau, your presence has been sorely missed. First six trophy case featuring Jean's Art Ross win in 1955-56. I'm not seeing any gold here, so this is likely the /19 version (Red Vault Stamp). The picture is a rather nice youngish version of Mr. Beliveau paralleling the part of his career when he won the Art Ross at the age of 24. The amount of space needed to list all his accomplishments would take too long to write or read for the purposes of a box break.

Thank you Mr. Beliveau for representing the Habs in this box break.

and now, the last card for my break tonight.
    Box 4
    Card 4
    So far, 2/3 boxes had the big hit in the 4 position
    Even that one where the big one wasn't in #4, it could still be argued that the #4 position card was pretty darn good
    The card is!!!!!
    1415SuperlativeVault_RookieRetired_Turco_Gaborik_Coffey_Bourque_DAL_MIN_BOS_COL.jpg

Superlative Season rookie / Retired, featuring Marty Turco, Marian Gaborik, Paul Coffey (Bos?) and raymond Bourque (Col). Silver version /9 with Blue Vault stamp. It took me a second to realize it, but this card probably represents the 2000-01 Hockey year when Turco and Gaborik entered the league, while Coffey and Bourque retired. When Superlative created these "Rookie/Retired" cards, I didn't realize what they did, but now that I have the card in my hand, its an interesting concept. I must admit that I enjoy the design of these cards and once thought about doing the set from the first Superlative series. However, some of those are super hard to come by. With The Vault just released, maybe I should reconsider.

While this card doens't have quite the same bang as the other 4 boxes, I'm still super happy with this one. I have a mini Turco PC, but no love for Gaborik, Coffey in a boston uniform or Bourque in Colorado. These were nice stylistic touches by ITG and results in a well thought out card, its just not for my PC. Interesting tidbit from the back, Paul Coffey's jersey comes from his time in LA. The text on the back explains the premise of the card:
    The 2000-01 Season saw the first appearances for Marty Turco & Marian Gaborik. Turco has played seven seasons in the League while Gaborik has also played in seven seasons. That season also saw the final NHL apperances for Paul Coffey after 21 years in the bigs and Raymond Bourque who played in 22 seasons.

And that's all she wrote folks!

Thanks for everyone who followed along and I hope you enjoyed this break. I had a blast opening them and I think it ended on a great note.

Cheers,
    reoddai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast