Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

Live! (but slow), case break of ITG Superlative Vault (10 boxes)

Welcome to my "live" case break in that I'm its still today, I'm probably still breaking the case. Do you like to savour every card in your case break and read a little about the players and the card? This break is for you!

Do you just want to see the cards and what was pulled? Everything that I break will be scanned and uploaded to this folder:
    http://s240.photobucket.com/user/reo...lative%20Vault

Feel free to drop me a PM if you see something you like. This case comes from BreakAwaySC. They were very helpful and knowledgeable about this release and prompted me to do my first pre-order in over 3 years. Onto the show!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since my last 4 box break, I've been told that a red superlative stamp = first copy, while blue = second copy and green = third copy. So while there is a red stamp of everything, there may not be a blue or green of any. To me, that means Red > blue > green.

Pre-break thoughts: Anything Maurice Richard would be awesome. Otherwise, Vintage Habs! Same aslast time.

Box #1.... Card #1.....

WE HAVE A GREAT HABS CARD! Right out of the first box, tri colour Guy Lafleur with gold text and a Red Stamp, 500 goals. The card is dated Dec 20, 2983, likely the date that he hit 500 goals. I have a couple of Guy Lafleur pieces, because, how can you be a Habs fan without at least one. Surprisingly enough, it looks almost just like the one that's been uploaded by someone else at the SCF inventory:
    http://opg.sportscardforum.com/scf/o...187394/normal/
    However, mine has a pinhole in the white about one third of the way up and close to the middle. Does this make mine better? Who knows! Depending on how that other collector feels, they might be pretty pissed to see that their 1/1 has a near mirror copy somewhere else. At least the stamp will tell them apart easily enough. I'm stoked about this card either way. Vintage Habs, Gold 1/1 first hit? Awesome.

Flipped the card over so I know what's next, but card is labelled Gold 1/1 on back and has the following text:
    On December 20, 1983, while playing for the Montreal Canadiens, Guy Lafleur scored his 500th goal against Glenn Resch of the New Jersey Devils making him the 10th NHL player to reach the 500th goal plateau.

Box #1, Card #2....

Shane Corson Auto plus jersey (green stamp = 3rd copy). This, strangely enough is a PC card. I have a Shane Corson RC and I'd really like to add something bigger to that collection. Although I didn't follow his career while he was active, I get from him PIM totals that he was a "gritty" player who also managed to put up a decent amount of points. Another plus to his resume is that he was drafted and played most of his career with Montreal, but also had stops in Edmonton and Toronto. The autograph isn't too bad. I would have preferred a nicer sig for his last name, but the 27 is clean nice, as is most Corson autographs that I've seen. The 27 inscription is clean and a nice touch as its the number he wore both in Montreal and Toronto. What could have made this card better? showing him in Montreal where he played for 11 prime years instead of his 3 years in toronto just before he retired a year after leaving.

Next card!
    Box #1, Card #3

A Red Stamp Superlative Trophy case for the 1999-2000 season (Silver version)!. Despite being silver, both Jagr and Demitra are nice two colours. I'm also seeing a theme with the 1971-72 version of this card that I pulled earlier, despite this box comming from Ontario while my others came from BC. On the card we have Jagr, Gomez, Demitra, Kolzig, Stevens and Pronger. Jagr, and to a lesser extent, Stevens are the draws of the card since he hasn't had such problems as have Gomez (contract), Kolzig (performance), Pronger (LTIR and I seem to remember team problems around him), Demitra (dead in Russian team plane crash). Hey, if you're a Devil's or St. Louis fan, this is probably the card for you!
    Box #1, Card #4
    Big hit, or did Lafleur take it?

Superlative Starting lineup, Blue stamp (copy #2), silver version featuring Grant Fuhr, Mark Messier, Mario Lemieux (all 2 colours with seams), Devin Potvin, Paul coffey and Mike Bossy!. This is probably meant to show a starting lineup sometime from the early to mid 80's with only Gretzky not on the card (Darn you UD exclusive license!). With this Piece, I now have two Starting lineups (I pulled #1 from the set in the first 4 boxes) and almost makes me want to complete the set. Who knows how many more I'll pull as this is just the first box!

I'm interested in your thoughts. Lafleur Gold 1/1 or 80's greatest (minus gretzky) as the hit of the box! Is this box too good and the rest will be duds? This box basically mirrors all the best hits from my first 4 boxes (Ratelle 1000 points, Starting Lineup #1, Trophy Case 1971-72, Auto+Emblem Hall), although lower qualities (except Lafleur beats Ratelle IMO). Sell the rest of my boxes unopened now, or keep going?

But first, a break to get my wife some takeout.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wife Fed, time for box#2

Just a quick walk up the street for some Thai. Onto box #2!

Still looking at my Lafleur 500 goals. Come-on Vault, let's keep the Habs love coming.

Box #2, Card #1!

Raised to the Rafter Gold Richter! Tri-colour jersey. Another gold 1/1 no face, tri colour card. I'm a bit of a fan of the raised to the rafters when done right. This looks pretty good with the three colours and the gray band in the middle kind of mirroring the white band in the background. I also think that the gold lettering is key to this kind of card as a silver woulnd't look as nice. Stamp is red vault. Although not (yet) a HOF inductee, Richter was a staple for the rangers all through the 90's. He's also won a Stanley cup with them and posted some great numbers during that post season. The card says that the honouring by the NYR occurred in 2004, just before the lockout. Way to go Richter, if I can't get Habs, I want goalies. onto card #2!

Test on the back:
    The New York Rangers raised Richter's jersey to the rafters of the Madison Square Garden on Feb 4, 2004 and formally retired his number, 35.
    Box #2, card #2.....

We've got another Habs in Blue version Bue Blanc et Rouge for Cristobal Huet (Green stamp). While he's not the current Habs netminder who's name starts with C, Chris, you've got some hobby love from me. Cristobal came to Montreal right after the lockout, and sayed with them for 3 years posting decent numbers and was eventually pushed out for Carey Price. He's moved onto non-NHL leagues, but still players. Sorry Cristobal, I've already got your autograph, from the 07-08 Season when you were Montreal's #1 goalie!

You're not PC, but you were damn close!

Text on the back:
    Cristobal Huet played three seasons for the Montreal Canadiens between 2005-06 and 2007-08. He appeared in 117 regular season games.
    Box #2, Card #3......

Superlative Ray Emery Patch, silver version, Green stamp. Oooo.... Ouch. This one stung folks. About as much as the look on his face. Getting your toe stubbed really bad. When Ray took Ottawa Deep into the playoffs, everyone was happy and golden. Time passed, performance went down, then up then down again. He's moved to several teams. Very little hobby love for this card. BUT, its a 3 colour, 4 break and I can just make out "Senators" on the helmet. Plus, you're a goalie, willing to step in front of 100 kph frozen slabs of rubber. You're up for trade, but you're a hell-of-a-lot better at hockey than I am.
    Last card
    Box #2, Card #4
    Richter, are you my hit of the box?
    Its goalies all the way so far, re we in for goalie number 4?

Superlative Combos, American Icons, Modano, Leetch, Hull, Chelios (two colour), Richter (again) and Craig (?). My guess is that Craig is the goalie from Miracle on ice given the style and age of the photo. That's a great stick piece there too. My very first Hull piece pulled. Silver version /9. What's neat abot this piece is that the back says that all these Jerseys come from these players while playing for the United states. I thought for sure that it would be a mish-mash of NHL teams, but no, all United States Jersey Pieces. That's something. Wait, I stand corrected, Jim Craig says "Game used stick". I guess it would be too much to ask for Jim Craig's Miracle on Ice game used stick. Still, the back looks really good with all the "United States" text lined up. What could be better? If I had a Canadian version instead! Any Americans interested?

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I hit a Maurice Richard Trophy Case Jersey from my box that I would trade. I will wait till your done and send you a PM. Good Luck. Pull me a Lemieux or Jagr!
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country

Box 3, only 30% of the way there.

Without waiting at all, onto box #3.

I'll be taking a break after this as the excitement is exhausting. This Vault is a great product.

Box #3, Card #1!!!!!!!

Right off the bat, we have our Hab! That's one a box so far! This time, it looks like a Red version, red stamped, Guy Lapointe. Quick check to ITG says that the red version is /10 while the previous blue Huet was /25. Guy played for Montreal throughout the 70's and is a HOF. He's won the Stanley cup 6 (!) times and was one of the key defensemen on Montreal during that era along with other notables like Serge Savard and Larry Robinson. I must admit, I don't know my D as well as my forwards, but its always nice when the Habs pay a visit. Thanks Lapointe!
    Box#3, Card #2!

Joe Thornton Quad Jersey, Silver Version, Red Stamp. Poor Thornton in the news these days for San Jose. He and the coach are having some problems. However, that won't detract from this card. It has pieces from the 2002 All Star, Boston, SanJose and Canada. I've always liked Thornton, especially for his Team Canada time and he's helped out out in more than one Hockey pool. My first ever multi-team jersey pull of a player to boot. Quite happy with this one, but alas, no attachment to the player.
    Box #3, Card #3......

First Six, Game Used Jersey Gold of Cam Neely with a blue Superlative stamp. Another HOF. Neely's career took off in Boston, but started in Vancouver. I've like to keep talking about him, but there's a hint of gold behind this card and it says "Superlative Player" at the bottom of the next card. I think I have to move on
    Unless Thornton wins the Stanley cup this year, my bet is the next hit is the box hit
    Box #3, Card #4..

And absolutely stunning gold version, complete jersey of Theoroen Fleury (Red superlative stamp). This guy has been in the news a lot recently. Most recently for that autobiography about being sexually abused. Although not a HOF, he's a Stanley cup winner, 7 time all star, and basically a point per game player. I see that there's some debate as to why he isn't and may not make the HOF anytime soon. time will tell, but in the meantime....
    Isn't that card pretty?
    Test from the back says "On the front of this card, Clockwise from top left are pieces of the jersey, number, emblem and fight strap". 4 colour emblem and my first fight strap ever pulled.

Another quality box. And as much as I want to break, I'll do box 4 because I had odd numbers.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great stuff so far!

I pulled a nice Hainsworth Jersey from my 6 box break ..... has a nice puck mark or black dot or ??? something. Vintage and Montreal .... how can you go wrong right?? Im sure we can work out a swap. I know you said Vintage is something you're gonna look at too, and I believe the last piece of vintage I have from my break ( oher than the Hainsworth ) is a raised to the rafters GOLD 1/1 Hap Day game used skate card ( in the shape of the #4 ) Its a nice leather piece with sticthing to boot!

Anyways, good luck on the remaining 8 boxes and ill shoot you a PM when you're all done!
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Box #4, cause I hate odd numbers

I swear, last box before I break for a bit. I just need to see those Superlative Vaults sitting even with each other in my case.

Box #4, Card #1
    There's lots of black on the outside of this box. Must have been fresh off the front / wrapper.

Rod Gilbert Superlative Signature, Red vault Stamp. Montreal I know, Rangers I know not. HOF, 8 time all star, full career in NY, winner of the Masterson and Lester Patrick trophies, holds NYR's records for most points, goals and games played by a forward. No Stanley cup.... Up for trade anyone...
    Wait! represented Canada in 1972 against Russia! Rod, you're a-okay in my book!

EDS: turns out you're also a gold version, making you one of (at least) 6.
    Box #4, Card #2!

Grant Fuhr! Thank lord for a the Edmonton dynasty Goalie. Wait, what's this, you're in a Toronto Jersey? Boo sir. I'm seeing a lot of players who made careers other than Toronto... then featured on a Toronto card. Now I get why everyone jokes about Toronto signing up people at the end of their career. Cause it seems to happen all the time.
    Box #4, Card #3, let's see some Habs!

Jagr Patch! You're not a Hab. That's okay. Emerald Stamp and a nice square piece of what looks to be emblem. Jagrs still going strong and rumours are that he'll head to Panthers to retire, I mean lead the panthers to a Stanley cup with all his veteran experience. go Jagr!
    Last card of the box.
    Last chance. So far, I'm thinking weakest box to date. For me, that Fuhr is a neat-o hit, but I'd be hard pressed to put any in my top 10 so far.. and I've only gone through 15 cards.
    Box 4, Card #4....

Trophy case, Bobby Orr, Norris TrophyGold Version with a neat-o patch in the middle. Bobby Orr. The fast D on two knees. The guy always pictured in that diving goal pose. Highest point total by a D, stanley cup this and that, accolade after accolade. This is also the gold version 1/1 and Red Stamped. Also my first Orr ever pack pulled and saviour of this box. However, you are a Boston man and gave Montreal fits. From a break point of view, this is a win. From a Habs point of view.... its still a cool card.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country

I hit a Maurice Richard Trophy Case Jersey from my box that I would trade. I will wait till your done and send you a PM. Good Luck. Pull me a Lemieux or Jagr!

Just pulled a Jagr Patch and other goodies. Please do send me a PM.

Great stuff so far!

I pulled a nice Hainsworth Jersey from my 6 box break ..... has a nice puck mark or black dot or ??? something. Vintage and Montreal .... how can you go wrong right?? Im sure we can work out a swap. I know you said Vintage is something you're gonna look at too, and I believe the last piece of vintage I have from my break ( oher than the Hainsworth ) is a raised to the rafters GOLD 1/1 Hap Day game used skate card ( in the shape of the #4 ) Its a nice leather piece with sticthing to boot!

Anyways, good luck on the remaining 8 boxes and ill shoot you a PM when you're all done!

Can't go wrong with vintage Habs indeed. Congrats on the Hap Day. Send me a PM on that Hainsworth.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice so far! If you pull any nice vintage I'd be interested. Pulled some sick Habs in my case and would be willing to trade!

https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...ple-weeks-late!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Box 5, staying alive!

That was a refreshing little break. Watched a clever little show and now I'm refreshed enough to continue the excitement of vintage high end!

Box #5... Card... #1!!!!!

habshabshabshabshabshabshabshabshabs.....

Superlative Game Use djersey Gold of Marc-Andre Fleury (blue stamp). Not a Hab, but a 2010 Olympic Hockey gold winner, one time stanley cup winner and a goalie from the province of Quebec. He's had his ups and downs in his career to date, but being on Crosby's & Malkin's team probably helps a lot. This tri colour is looking really nice and the gold/white seam is bursting out of the card. Plus, the blue stamp matches the blue background on the card. A solid opening.

EDS: gold version 1/9 on the back
    Let's go habs!
    Box #5, Card #2

Oooo... wow. This is an abo™™™™ely stunning patch from Ryan Kesler in Vancouver (autograph plus number silver, blue Vault stamp). Kesler was with the canucks for 8 good years, but recently went to Anaheim. I vaguely remember him wanting a trade out and Vancouver acomadated. Anaheim is doing well this year, even though their cosir looks poor (just like Montreal). Kesler signed this card with a 17, and that's probably also the number shown here. That absolutely disgusting patch has a strange angle, so I'm guessing a shoulder 17? Any Kesler collectors to help out?
    Let's go Montreal, let's go.
    Box #5, Card #3....

Toronto, you basta... I mean, a great Toronto Piece! Gold Version (red Stamp), superlative Enshrined. This is the Enshrined card #1 from the ITG website featuring a two colour Watson, 2 colour Keon and a solid blue Sundin. Why I am cursed with Toronto luck instead of getting a #5, or #6, I'll never know. Its probably cause my dad was a leafs fan. The gold version makes this a 1/1. What's the connection between these three guys? Watson was never a captain, nor a centre like the other two. The best I can do is "HOF Toronto Forwards whom ITG had GU pieces for".

EDS: text on the back:
    The Hockey Hall of Fame welcomed former captain Keon as an honoured member in 1986 and Watson was brought in as a veteran's commmittee selection eight years later. Sundin, who is the all-time leading scorere in the history of the Toronto Maple Leads, was enshrined in 2012.

This solidifies my theory that this card is "HOF Toronto Forwards whom ITG had GU pieces for"
    I've been chanting the Habs Mantra all box. Let's go Detroit? That'll trick Superlative Vault into giving me Habs.
    Box #5, Card #4
    hit of the box?

Another Gold, Another 1/1, Captain-C Gardiner, Stapleton, Savard. I'd saw that this, along with the previous makes a decent 1a, 1b box hits. However, my trick totally failed. This is for those Chicago lovers out there. We have a pad, and two Hawks jerseys of three of the most notable captains in Chicago history. That Gardiner piece is stunning in person. The wear looks like its been permanently stained with puck after puck. Gardiner is also the only goalie captain to bring his team Stanley cup sweetness (sorry Luongo, you almost did it, but almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and thermo nuclear war). Was this almost a Habs card thanks to my voodoo? see my previous reference.

Next box!

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country

Box #6, over halfway done!

God grant me the serenity to pull some epic habs cards, or change them in the box before I see them, the courage to trade the big hits for Habs, and the wisdom to know which packs have habs in them before buying.

Let's go to Box #6! Card #1.

A roar ripples through the crowd....
    We've just pulled a Guy Lapointe Autograph plus number, blue version. This will be my second Lapointe autograph in the box, having pulled his red version auto earlier. However, that one didn't have a faded number patch like this one. The green vault stamp has covered over part of the autograph and kind of detracts from the overall look of the card. Still, I'm happy since its my first big habs hit since the Lafleur in the first box.

I do see a hint of gold, like the rafters card in the one immediately behind the Lapointe. The cards were stuffed on the side in this box. A sign of Hab things to come I hope.
    Box.... #6! Card... #2.

DOOZY!
    Superlative Records, Turk Broda for most Shutouts! Mr. Broda, I'm willing to over look your leafyness because a) I was looking for a single Broda GU piece for my PC and b) you're an awesome goalie. Funniest story about Broda is probably his "battle of the bulge". I have a work mate who's not really into hockey and he asked why the goalie was just not the fatest piece of fat that could ever be and totally fill up the net with body mass and padding, this being the perfect goalie. I told him that the heart attacks from repeated puck slamps would probably kill him. In the end, BRoda lost his weight and won a Stanley cup. Way to go Broda!

EDS: flipping the card, I see that this is the gold 1/1 version to boot!
    Box#6, Card #3, what'll it be?

History of the Conn Smythe, Joe Nieuwendyk, Dallas 1998-99 Silver version, Blue stamp. Frankly, I'm at a loss of what to say here. HOF who played for Calgary. I don't know enough about him to say much. I can only hope that I'm equally blown away by the 4th card as I have been with the first two.

EDS: back of the card test to write what I can't:
    "Nieuwendyk came back from an injury-shortened 1998-99 campaign to lead the Dallas Stars to their First Stanley Cup with an amazing six game-winning goals during post-season play"
    Probably why he got the Conn Smythe. Makes sense.
    Card #4
    of Box #6
    Traditionally the "box hit"
    Let's go habs (again)

ITS A HABS! and not just any Hab, but a HUGE DUAL SEAM Ken Dryden, blue verion /9 with a nice RED superlative stamp. I call this a box hit boys. That leather piece is so thick its bulding the cardboard over into the SECOND game used piece and over into the back of the card. I am absolutely blown away. This is just an awesome piece. This, more than anything else in this case justifies me going past that first box. A Ken Dryden dual GU piece. I don't care that its silver /9, nor that it doesn't have his photo. A dual Ken Dryden game used is just too hard to find. PC, PC, PC, PC and in case you were wondering, its PC.

Cheers,
    reoddai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast