Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Solar Plane Flying Around The World

Not sure this really qualifies as P&R, although non-fossil fuel technology is a political issue. Anyhoo, I read this article and see that they are attempting to fly a solar plane around the world. I get the gist of it. They want to prove that solar technology is making advances. Here is my problem with the plan. They are taking 5 months to do it. 5 months?!! What does this prove? It takes less than 2 months to sail around the world. If it take 5 months to fly around the world then doesn't this do more to prove that solar technology still isn't what we have been led to believe it is capable of rather than prove it is a viable energy source?

Furthermore, the solar plane is now "stuck" in China because it is so light that it needs near perfect conditions to fly in. So not only will it take 2 1/2 times as long as sailing to go around the world, but it can only do so in perfect conditions. My .02 is this does more to prove how unreliable solar energy is more than anything else.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/16/tech/s...ina/index.html

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I guess it can be looked at in a couple of ways. Yes, it does show there is a long way to go and many more hurdles to jump to make it viable. However, my "cup half full" philosophy says it is progress and it is a worthwhile endeavor. Fossil fuels won't last forever.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

What is wrong with it taking 5 months? They are doing exactly what you mentioned- showing that solar technology is making advances. This isn't for solar planes. Major companies such as VW are the main sponsors. The plane is cruising at under 60mph, yet can stay airborne for 36 hours. Of course it is going to take a long time. I'm also curious how this shows that solar energy in unreliable. The plane, with people inside, is staying airborne consistently for 20 hours. The aerodynamics of the plane have nothing to do with solar energy. The lack of equipment makes it light, and therefore cannot fly into a strong headwind. Yet, it is being powered strictly by solar energy and everything electric is working perfectly. This is a brand new concept and has been working EXACTLY as planned.
    Last edited by andrewhoya; 04-20-2015 at 12:31 PM.
    Andrew Bailey Supercollector: 224/255 not including 1/1's (87.8%); 254/458 cards including 1/1's(55.5%)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Taking 5 months to do something on solar power when it can be done in 2 months on water/wind power isn't showing me much advancement. Yes, it is more advanced than 10 or 15 years ago, but I would think we would be advanced beyond it taking nearly half a year considering how we keep hearing that solar energy is the future.

It shows solar energy is unreliable because an energy source that requires the perfect situation to be viable is by default unreliable. Internal combustion engines run in sleet, snow, rain, extreme heat, extreme cold, high altitudes, low altitudes, with a head wind, with a tail wind...a solar plane runs when it is sunny, clear and not windy. That means you can not rely on it when you need it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Taking 5 months to do something on solar power when it can be done in 2 months on water/wind power isn't showing me much advancement. Yes, it is more advanced than 10 or 15 years ago, but I would think we would be advanced beyond it taking nearly half a year considering how we keep hearing that solar energy is the future.

Let me know when a sailboat can travel over land.

It shows solar energy is unreliable because an energy source that requires the perfect situation to be viable is by default unreliable. Internal combustion engines run in sleet, snow, rain, extreme heat, extreme cold, high altitudes, low altitudes, with a head wind, with a tail wind...a solar plane runs when it is sunny, clear and not windy. That means you can not rely on it when you need it.

That is absolutely 100% not true at all.
    A) Again, the aerodynamics of the plane are what is keeping it grounded. Not the solar powered instruments and avionics.
    B) I'm curious as to what 'extreme heat' and 'extreme cold' refers to. Engines are not invincible and cannot fly in every condition imaginable.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Let me know when a sailboat can travel over land.

Around the world is around the world.

That is absolutely 100% not true at all.
    A) Again, the aerodynamics of the plane are what is keeping it grounded. Not the solar powered instruments and avionics.
    B) I'm curious as to what 'extreme heat' and 'extreme cold' refers to. Engines are not invincible and cannot fly in every condition imaginable.

Actually what is keeping it on the ground is it's extreme light weight which makes it impossible to take off in crosswinds or bad weather. It is so light weight because the solar powered engine lacks the horsepower to propel a heavier, larger craft. If the engine were stronger then it would use more solar power, making the whole point moot as the batteries would drain quicker. All of these factors, the light weight, the overall smallness of the craft, and the weak engine, all lead back to one conclusion, the solar power technology only works in certain perfect conditions. Thus, not reliable.

I will concede that the solar energy itself is not as unreliable as it's use in certain situations is (such as this plane), but the reality is that a snow storm or series of cloudy days can render solar energy virtually useless. That is why people in northern Canada and Alaska who have solar panels for energy keep kerosene on hand.

Daytime winter temperatures in Alaska commonly get to or below 0 degrees F and the daily average in winter typically stays below freezing for months, yet every day internal engines on generators, ATVs, snow machines and SUVs keep right on chugging. Extreme cold. Take your pick of any of a dozen Middle Eastern and Northern Africa nations that see regular daytime temperatures over 100 degree and then note the cars, trucks, motorcycles and myriad of other internal combustion engine vehicles buzzing around. Extreme heat.
    Last edited by duane1969; 04-20-2015 at 01:28 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Actually what is keeping it on the ground is it's extreme light weight which makes it impossible to take off in crosswinds or bad weather. It is so light weight because the solar powered engine lacks the horsepower to propel a heavier, larger craft. If the engine were stronger then it would use more solar power, making the whole point moot as the batteries would drain quicker. All of these factors, the light weight, the overall smallness of the craft, and the weak engine, all lead back to one conclusion, the solar power technology only works in certain perfect conditions. Thus, not reliable.

The craft has a wingspan JUST smaller than the worlds largest passenger plane. I'm a pilot, and I presented a presentation on the Solar Impulse this morning at 9:45.

And no, it does not have an extreme light weight. It is heavier than nearly every general aviation aircraft on the market. In fact, it has DOUBLE the weight of many!!!!! Nice try, though. Should I begin making a list of all of your lies, similar to the one you've compiled of Hillary???

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The craft has a wingspan JUST smaller than the worlds largest passenger plane. I'm a pilot, and I presented a presentation on the Solar Impulse this morning at 9:45.

And no, it does not have an extreme light weight. It is heavier than nearly every general aviation aircraft on the market. In fact, it has DOUBLE the weight of many!!!!! Nice try, though. Should I begin making a list of all of your lies, similar to the one you've compiled of Hillary???

Congratulations. You know it's wingspan. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I realize this thing has a wingspan 2/3rds of a football field which makes it more of a glider than a true airplane, proving my point. Further proving my point, it has a cruising speed of 55 MPH and a maximum speed of 87 MPH, pretty typical of a glider which has a 50-90 MPH speed. So it's just a big freakin glider that takes off on solar power.

The article touts it's light weight as being the reason it can't take off. Not my quote, theirs, but I guess that makes me a liar.

Oh wait, what did I lie about again? Please show me where I lied.
    Last edited by duane1969; 04-20-2015 at 03:21 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Congratulations. You know it's wingspan. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I realize this thing has a wingspan 2/3rds of a football field which makes it more of a glider than a true airplane, proving my point. Further proving my point, it has a cruising speed of 55 MPH and a maximum speed of 87 MPH, pretty typical of a glider which has a 50-90 MPH speed. So it's just a big freakin glider that takes off on solar power.

The article touts it's light weight as being the reason it can't take off. Not my quote, theirs, but I guess that makes me a liar.

A little self-awareness goes a long way. You described it with (which andrewhoya bolded in his response) "the overall smallness of the craft". That was an outright lie. The craft is large and heavy.

It's amazing how well you point out the lies of others , yet can't recognize one of your own.

SCF Rewards
    Country

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Google the Airbus A380 buddy. Based on what you said, that thing is a glider, too.

Thanks habs for pointing that out for me and helping me out. I thought maybe I was going crazy.

Duane, you are more knowledgeable than me in some areas. But trying to beat me in a debate on planes isn't happening.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast