Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Seriously, do you even follow hockey? As in watch games, follow prospects, have a home team, etc. You really think that McDavid is average, and that he will be a bust for the Oilers? You are literally the only guy in the world taking that position. Maybe you have a supernatural grasp of the game, more likely you have no idea what you are talking about.

People taking these positions have nothing on the line...let's see them do that with their money/jobs/houses on the line...
    See what their word means?

I'll bet you $10k Mcdavid won't hit 100 points next year, do you want to do that??
    No, you'll have a bunch of typical excuses....

Everyone in the NHL is average now and they are not allowed to be anymore than that....There's no way some kid can overcome that as hockey is not about skill and physicality like the nba.

He can score a billion points in the OHL it won't matter because NHL will not allow it especially in the WEST.

Do you see penalties being called???
    Nothing easier than stopping "superstars"

What's your predictions for Mcdavid the next 3 years ???

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See auktions_welpe's Items on eBay

I hope we don't see McDavid at all next year, so that he can grow more muscle. But the Oilers will rush him in anyway.
    If so, the Kid will score 60-80 Points and this performance will be sold as being "out of this world".

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

100 Points? If he does or does not.... so what? Why is 100 points important???

If you want to get into a discussion about how goals are good, and a higher scorning league would be a more fun league to watch - sign me up. I agree with that 100%. I do think the NHL has done an awful job in how it's allowed the game to digress. I don't think it's as bad as it was pre-2005 lock out, but it's getting close.

If he'd been in the league this year, and got 100 points, he'd have won the scoring title by 13. I would call it a VERY safe bet that McDavid won't score 100 points next year..... and until the NHL decides to start calling penalties again, it will be near impossible for him (or anyone to do it).

But so what?? If the bar has been lowered, as to what is considered a great season, why does that matter? If 80 points is the new 100 points... that's what you have to compare to.

I think it's very realistic to think he can come into the league and net 65 points as a rookie (a number that would have him tied with Pavel Datsuyk & Joe Thornton for 26th in league scoring this year). Maybe a little higher than that, but probably not much more. A Sidney Crosby-esque 102 point rookie season is not in the cards for anyone anymore, but that should be obvious.

If McDavid went over 80 points next year.... ran away with the Rookie of the Year.... finished in the top 5 in league scoring... and dragged the Oilers into a playoff spot (I know, I going over the top now. Crazy talk with my hypotheticals) how could you look at a season like that, and not call him a superstar?

People taking these positions have nothing on the line...let's see them do that with their money/jobs/houses on the line...
    See what their word means?

I'll bet you $10k Mcdavid won't hit 100 points next year, do you want to do that??
    No, you'll have a bunch of typical excuses....

Everyone in the NHL is average now and they are not allowed to be anymore than that....There's no way some kid can overcome that as hockey is not about skill and physicality like the nba.

He can score a billion points in the OHL it won't matter because NHL will not allow it especially in the WEST.

Do you see penalties being called???
    Nothing easier than stopping "superstars"

What's your predictions for Mcdavid the next 3 years ???

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

I think he can be the star that the team and even the league is looking for.
    My concern is his size, very small coming into the NHl with the men and not the boys of the OHL, he needs to put on about 20-25 pounds of muscle and keep the spped going.

I think as far as points for the season, depends on were he plays and with who is on the line
    having said that I think 50-60 would be a good guess, and if he goes over that its gravy for everyone.

the days of rookies scoring 90-100 points are over.

My other concern is the hype placed on him and how he and the team handles it, I would just like to say the name...........

Alexandre Daigle (remember him and the hype he had)

anyways good luck to Connor and the EDm oilers

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Daigle did not have the same hype surrounding him. Closest in recent memory would be Crosby and Tavares. Going back further, Lindros. No, nothing with this kid is for certain. But, it is far more likely than not that he will be a big deal for many years. And no, I wouldn't bet my house on it. That's just called not being an idiot.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

Daigle did not have the same hype surrounding him. Closest in recent memory would be Crosby and Tavares. Going back further, Lindros. No, nothing with this kid is for certain. But, it is far more likely than not that he will be a big deal for many years. And no, I wouldn't bet my house on it. That's just called not being an idiot.

I know that Daigle did not have the hype like crosby, tavares, not even today with Connor Mcdavid but he was the #1 pick and had pressure on him to perform and come out of junior and be the leader or saviour of the Senators, and look what happened to him.

I think today the #1-10 picks need more guidiance in the mind , better perpared for what llies ahead for them. They need more maturarity and leadership.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Daigle had lots of hype, you guys forget....just less Internet. ...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

Daigle had lots of hype, you guys forget....just less Internet. ...

yes he had hype, but not nearly the level that crosby had or even current #1 pick Mcdavid
    not to dismiss the info about daigle.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jffoland's Items on eBay

I dont collect rookies or oilers, but having so much hype behind someone is only going to be positive for the hobby, better yet, the NHL.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think as far as the "hype machine" goes.... this kid (McDavid) is the biggest since Crosby, who was the biggest since Lindros.... but Daigle did have a ton. I would think those four are the biggest since the 1990s.

I would also submit that Daigle is a horrible comparison for anyone to use for anything ever again.

Junior players today are put through WAY more than they were back in 1992. A bust of that magnitude is almost impossible to happen anymore.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast