Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question Hawaii to become the first state to raise smoking age to 21 for cigarettes?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-age-21.html

A bill that would make Hawaii the first state to raise the legal smoking age to 21 cleared the Legislature on Friday and is headed to the governor.

The bill would prevent adolescents from smoking, buying or possessing both traditional and electronic cigarettes.

Governor David Ige hasn't yet decided whether he will sign the bill and said he will not review it until it is vetted by his staff for any legal issues, as is the case with all bills.

'The departments will be doing their review and then we'll have the opportunity to look at it,' Ige said.

Jessica Yamauchi, executive director of the Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawaii, called the legislation 'groundbreaking'.

'It's amazing to be the first state in something. That's very exciting for us.'

The bill includes a $10 fine for first-time offenders. Subsequent violations would lead to a $50 fine or mandatory community service.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I think a better idea would be to increase the sin tax on tobacco. Make cost prohibitive therefore discouraging it's use.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I disagree with any law that limits an 18 year old from engaging in anything that someone older is allowed to engage in. We put 18 year olds in the battlefield with AR-15s and ask them to risk/give their life for our country, they should be able to smoke a cigarette or drink a beer. I disagree with smoking because of the health risks, but to criminalize something like this when we ask them to give so much is just ignorant. You can not legislate morality or healthy lifestyles.

Furthermore, making the smoking age 18 hasn't stopped kids 17 and under from getting tobacco, what nimrod actually thinks raising the age to 21 will change that?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I agree duane, I don't see a reason for this either. If anything drop the drinking age to 18. That's when a person is legally an adult.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I am more inclined to raise the age of adulthood to 21 for all activities rather than 18. I think there have been studies indicating that the brain isn't fully mature at 18.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I am more inclined to raise the age of adulthood to 21 for all activities rather than 18. I think there have been studies indicating that the brain isn't fully mature at 18.

That would be catastrophic for the military. I feel safe in saying 99.9% of their recruits are fresh out of high school. I can't remember the last time I heard of someone joining the military 2 or more years after leaving school. I am sure it happens, but compared to the numbers that join straight out of school it would be miniscule.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

That would be catastrophic for the military. I feel safe in saying 99.9% of their recruits are fresh out of high school. I can't remember the last time I heard of someone joining the military 2 or more years after leaving school. I am sure it happens, but compared to the numbers that join straight out of school it would be miniscule.

Not necessarily, you could revamp the system in such a way that active duty was delayed until 21. Some sort of military college and training for 3 years before you can be activated. I always hear of the military doing domestic projects and helping out during disasters.

Now that I think about it. Maybe incorporate that training with a program that transitions active members back into society when they leave active duty. Kind of like a buffer before and after actual serving in the real combat roles.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Not necessarily, you could revamp the system in such a way that active duty was delayed until 21. Some sort of military college and training for 3 years before you can be activated. I always hear of the military doing domestic projects and helping out during disasters.

Now that I think about it. Maybe incorporate that training with a program that transitions active members back into society when they leave active duty. Kind of like a buffer before and after actual serving in the real combat roles.

I'm on board with that. Also increase the pay to get more people interested.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

I'm on board with that. Also increase the pay to get more people interested.

I don't know the numbers, but I would much rather see more of the military budget being spent on the well-being of the actual soldiers than the equipment (some of which is not necessarily needed).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I don't know the numbers, but I would much rather see more of the military budget being spent on the well-being of the actual soldiers than the equipment (some of which is not necessarily needed).

^^^^This^^^^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast