Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Duane, I can't argue with an observation, but, there could be many things that affect someone. Relationships, environment, peer influence, sibling influence, social economics, religion or lack of religion, and so on.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Duane, I can't argue with an observation, but, there could be many things that affect someone. Relationships, environment, peer influence, sibling influence, social economics, religion or lack of religion, and so on.

Then that would support the argument that sexuality is chosen or influenced and not genetic...round and round the merry-go-round goes.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think when you use the word choose, that is when people can get offended and try to turn the table and ask when you chose your own sexuality.

To me, choice is way deeper than making a conscious decision. Most drug addicts will tell you it was not their choice to be addicted to drugs. Most pedophiles will also say the same thing. (for the record I am not saying these are the same things)
    some even try to blame genetics on alcoholism, but if you dwell deep into the research, you find this is not the case.

But life circumstances lead to these ways, and often it may not be a conscious decision, such as what you are going to eat, but rather a choice that is the result of your life.

I think that if you are gay or if you are ok with people being gay, then why is it such a big deal to say it is a choice? If there is nothing to be in fault of, why bother shifting the blame. If you are gay, big deal. How many of us discuss our sexuality with others? I find sexual practices to be personal, like your bowel movements are. I have them, so do you, I just don't want to hear about yours and don't ask me about mine.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I agree and to be honest I don't think people make a conscious decision to be gay or straight or anything else. By the same measure, saying someone was "influenced" to be gay by outside forces wouldn't be very appealing either because it implies that their homosexuality is a "forced" or circumstantial outcome. I know if I was gay I wouldn't want to be told that I am gay because I was influenced to be, but that is just me.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I know if I was gay I wouldn't want to be told that I am gay because I was influenced to be, but that is just me.

Though that is very logical to say, I would argue that if you are ok with being you, why would it bother you? Everyone is who they are for many reasons, and outside influence is certainly one of them.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Though that is very logical to say, I would argue that if you are ok with being you, why would it bother you? Everyone is who they are for many reasons, and outside influence is certainly one of them.

I guess I like to think that I am who I am because I chose to be or want to be rather than because some outside influence made that decision for me. I realize that a large portion of who we are is decided by social influences, but to be influenced to be homosexual strikes me as requiring some significant negative incident.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do agree that much of who we are is by choice, some easy ones, and some very hard ones.

But I disagree about sexuality, perhaps it requires some positive re-enforcement that you can be whatever you want and it is ok to be gay.

Though, as a straight person, I cannot see how I would have ever been influenced to be gay.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234