Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retail Apocalypse

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Retail Apocalypse

Amid constant claims that the economy is getting stronger and everything is hunky-doory, it appears that retail chains are not in agreement.

Major U.S. retailers have announced the closing of more than 6,000 stores from coast to coast. The list includes only those retailers that have announced plans to close more than 10 outlets this year and next.

For example, 1,784 Radio Shack stores are vanishing, 400 stores in the Office Depot/Office Max chain by 2016, and 340 Dollar Tree/Family Dollar stores.

The growing list of stores getting shuttered coincides with the decline in discretionary consumer spending over the past six months.

“Expect to see more storefronts closed at malls across the country,” one retail watcher told WND. “It’s getting ugly out there.”

http://www.wnd.com/2015/05/retail-ap...losing-stores/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Radio shack and office depot were open for way too long anyways.

I see small mom and pop type shops opening more often around here. I think the biggest enemy for retail isn't how bad the economy is doing but more so a little thing called the internet. Why go somewhere to buy when you can get free shipping on amazon?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Amazon type sites have killed retail stores and eliminated mom and pop stores. I have been in my home going on 11 years when I moved there is a nice plaza around the corner from me that had Blockbuster video,Subway,papa johns,Giant foods,Hall,ark store,tanning salon,pet valu,Verizon,Joes Pizza and a few others. Giant moved out just last year Blockbuster has been gone for 8 years all that is left is Subway and joes pizza. Needless to say it is a baron wasteland. But I agree the economy stinks my way so I don't get all these statistics
    Radio shack and office depot were open for way too long anyways.

I see small mom and pop type shops opening more often around here. I think the biggest enemy for retail isn't how bad the economy is doing but more so a little thing called the internet. Why go somewhere to buy when you can get free shipping on amazon?

SCF Rewards
    Country

The dumb thing is Amazon doesn't even make a profit so it isn't like they are doing amazing either. Retail will be hurt by a lot of things but ultimately having a segment of the population who never has/had the experience of going out to the store to buy something will be their downfall. People born and raised buying stuff off of the Internet or getting home delivery aren't suddenly going to decide to get into their car and drive miles to buy something that they may or may not have at the store.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Radio Shack is an anomaly how it stayed open as long as it did....

Office Depot/Max will eventually go the way of Blockbuster, Circuit City, and Radio Shack too.....we just don't need all of these stores.

Eventually the Internet will take over one day....and I for one say GOOD RIDDANCE to shopping at retail stores.

Internet is cheaper, safe, less expensive, less hassle, just all around a lot more convenient.

The only downside is the wait time.

Once we can get that figured out....GAME OVER.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kyotesportskards's Items on eBay

Shopping your local retailers is a great way to build community. Support the mom and pops!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

Shopping your local retailers is a great way to build community. Support the mom and pops!

That's what my wife and I do. I can't get a delicious, hot cup of coffee off the internet, but I can get it from my local coffee house. So far, I've never found anything on the internet that beats the cupcakes at my local bakery. And when I bought my mattress, my local mattress shop was able to beat the big box competitors by $100. Huzzah for the mom and pop shops!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Radio Shack is an anomaly how it stayed open as long as it did....

Office Depot/Max will eventually go the way of Blockbuster, Circuit City, and Radio Shack too.....we just don't need all of these stores.

Eventually the Internet will take over one day....and I for one say GOOD RIDDANCE to shopping at retail stores.

Internet is cheaper, safe, less expensive, less hassle, just all around a lot more convenient.

The only downside is the wait time.

Once we can get that figured out....GAME OVER.

Amazon will deliver within minutes with their drones! Wait time will be the same as going to the store to buy it..

SCF Rewards
    Country

GOOD!

I want drones flying all over America so I can get the many impulsive purchases I make on Amazon.

The future is finally here!

I for one welcome our new drone overlords, and look forward to bowing at our Amazonian master's feet!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Those drones are also watching your every move not like they were not before but now with much more ease.
    GOOD!

I want drones flying all over America so I can get the many impulsive purchases I make on Amazon.

The future is finally here!

I for one welcome our new drone overlords, and look forward to bowing at our Amazonian master's feet!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast