Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retail Apocalypse

SCF Rewards
    Country

Had to look that up....had no idea what Barney was.

Consider yourself a very lucky human being.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

Amid constant claims that the economy is getting stronger and everything is hunky-doory, it appears that retail chains are not in agreement.

Radio Shack was doing JUST FINE before Obama right? Please.
    Also Office Depot & Office Max AND Family Dollar/Dollar Tree are both examples of companies merging. What do you do when you merge? Close locations.
    Or you know, RETAIL APOCALYPSE!
    maccards44 everywhere 'bay, etc
    Just Selling Right Now

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

Radio Shack had a great business model. They really only sold high profit margin items that could only be found at their stores. They existed on this model forever. Then a new CEO took over and wanted to make the place "cool" so they removed everything that made the store special and they just became some generic cell phone store. People who wanted to buy cell phones weren't going to go to Radio Shack and buy them and the people who wanted to buy the stuff from normal Radio Shack were turned off. So no shock they crashed like a lead balloon with that decision.

Interesting. I rarely went to RS but I rarely go to most retail stores. I usually order a lot of stuff that I need online. I was confused why they started selling phones and such. I always thought if someone wanted to go to a brick and mortar store to buy a phone they'd just go to their service provider to get it... not knowing anything about pricing. It seems like electronics is a tough sector. Best buy is having troubles and many more stores have closed up shop.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Interesting. I rarely went to RS but I rarely go to most retail stores. I usually order a lot of stuff that I need online. I was confused why they started selling phones and such. I always thought if someone wanted to go to a brick and mortar store to buy a phone they'd just go to their service provider to get it... not knowing anything about pricing. It seems like electronics is a tough sector. Best buy is having troubles and many more stores have closed up shop.

If I need anything from best buy I always go to the store. The prices online are the same as the store so why not support someone's job instead of just best buy? Same for when we have to go to Wal-Mart. The self checkouts are nice but the groceries aren't any cheaper so we go to a line with some one in it. We hardly ever go to Wal-Mart any more though. I hate that place but we are too limited on our selections.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If I need anything from best buy I always go to the store. The prices online are the same as the store so why not support someone's job instead of just best buy? Same for when we have to go to Wal-Mart. The self checkouts are nice but the groceries aren't any cheaper so we go to a line with some one in it. We hardly ever go to Wal-Mart any more though. I hate that place but we are too limited on our selections.

for me it's about saving time. I don't buy a lot of new items. I go to target to get groceries and might hit a hardware store up from time to time. I can see your thinking though as well. If I can get a better price online and save the hassle of traveling to a store count me in. Plus, as an ebayer myself, I like the idea of supporting other small businesses that do business on the same site that I do.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Radio Shack was doing JUST FINE before Obama right? Please.
    Also Office Depot & Office Max AND Family Dollar/Dollar Tree are both examples of companies merging. What do you do when you merge? Close locations.
    Or you know, RETAIL APOCALYPSE!

And what of Deb closing 300 stores (all of their stores because they declared bankruptcy), Barnes and Noble closing 223 (34% of their stores), Walgreen's closing 200, American Eagle closing 150 (16% of their stores), Abercrombie & Fitch closing 180 (65% of their stores worldwide), Pier One closing 100 (10% of their stores), Sears closing 77 (they announced in Dec 2014 they were closing 235), Pep Boy's closing 63 (11% of their locations), JC Penny closing 40...it is cute to make excuses for a few of the businesses closing stores, but what excuses do you have for these major retailers, many of them very popular and high end, closing stores?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wonder how much of the closings has to do with a changing market or increased competition rather than the economy being in a bad state. My guess is that it's some of both, but don't know exactly.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I wonder how much of the closings has to do with a changing market or increased competition rather than the economy being in a bad state. My guess is that it's some of both, but don't know exactly.

It is impossible to know exactly. One thing we are not seeing is a significant amount of major retail chains expanding and adding stores. Downsizing is becoming commonplace.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

And what of Deb closing 300 stores (all of their stores because they declared bankruptcy), Barnes and Noble closing 223 (34% of their stores), Walgreen's closing 200, American Eagle closing 150 (16% of their stores), Abercrombie & Fitch closing 180 (65% of their stores worldwide), Pier One closing 100 (10% of their stores), Sears closing 77 (they announced in Dec 2014 they were closing 235), Pep Boy's closing 63 (11% of their locations), JC Penny closing 40...it is cute to make excuses for a few of the businesses closing stores, but what excuses do you have for these major retailers, many of them very popular and high end, closing stores?

"A few"?? They are the biggest 3 examples of a "RETAIL APOCALYPSE" in the "RETAIL APOCALYPSE" article. That's as far as I need to read to know the rest of the article isn't true.

PS if you really are asking why a bookstore is closing locations in this day and age... well... I can't help you.
    Here's a hint, it has to do with the thing you are using right now.
    Last edited by maccards44; 05-08-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123