Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is everyone?

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Ebay is only "not a trading platform" if you reject cash as a medium
    of trade. Should I assume your employer pays you in Wheat?

For the record I'm not anti trading, I just don't see much useful value. And apparently most others don't as well as trading is down but the hobby is healthy.

Faulty logic. Whether you are selling your time to an employer or merchandise on EBAY you now have cash in hand to do as you please. Cash, because of its general acceptance across many markets proffers you with buying power. And once you have your cash in hand, you are buying. Bartering (or trading as it is mistakenly called in the hobby) differs because the merchandise and (or) services involved have limited market appeal. So no, I wouldn't work for wheat or cards.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Personally trading is a lot more fun than buying, and part of the fun is the INTERACTION with other HUMANS who share the same not so common Hobby. And well if you want a mint 57 Buick for $500, um ok that is different, and a Steal! Wow on that one!!!?

As far as which to use as a guide, as long as it is Simple, Quick, and Fair, who cares? BV may not be relevant to market, but is all 3 including fair most times so whats the biggy?

Agreed, trading is more fun than buying and selling. Plus it's cheaper.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

To answer the OP's question:

I really have slowed down on trading. Since they jacked up the shipping prices to $6.55+ to Canada (80% of my deals) its killing me. I cant afford to make a trade just to get a nice card anymore. If I trade its because I need the card for my PC or Im getting a good deal.

Its hard to make a trade ($6.55) then get that card and end up selling/trading it (another $6.55). That doesn't work for me anymore.

Like it was said before. I buy what I want and sell what I don't want. Trading has gone way down from U.S. members because of this. I assume the Canadian $ might have something to do with Canadians not trading as much.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country

I really have slowed down on trading. Since they jacked up the shipping prices to $6.55+ to Canada (80% of my deals) its killing me. I cant afford to make a trade just to get a nice card anymore. If I trade its because I need the card for my PC or Im getting a good deal.

Its hard to make a trade ($6.55) then get that card and end up selling/trading it (another $6.55). That doesn't work for me anymore.

Like it was said before. I buy what I want and sell what I don't want. Trading has gone way down from U.S. members because of this. I assume the Canadian $ might have something to do with Canadians not trading as much.

Does your local post office have a self service kiosk? If it does, you can use a #000 bubble mailer and send it to Canada as a large envelope for $2.29 on average.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I know trading is down in the High End section as I posted a trade thread in the high end section and have not bumped it since round 1 .... its still on the main page.

However the normal trading section seems to be a bit busier. Ive made 8 deals since May 1st .... 3 Buy / Sell and 5 trades ( also have 3 or 4 trade talks on the go ). The trades im doing right now are low end for set fillers / parallels I like / random stuff .... I dont think ive acquired or moved a card over $20.

The easy trades are low end, I believe all but one of my trades were a BV for BV deal.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've barely traded on here in the past two years. I don't know if I've sold anything on here in that time, and I definitely buy things when I see a nice deal, but for the most part I just lurk here now.

I don't see the issue as being a BV or SV thing. The main reason I really stepped back from trading is that a large percentage of people on this site try to "win" every trade. One of the things I collect is Ottawa Senators jerseys and autograph cards (any player, as long as they are in a Sens uniform), meaning I come across a number of low-end jerseys of guys like Peter Regin, Ilya Zubov, and Andrej Meszaros. I need these cards for my PC, so I check to see if we can work out a trade. It seems to result in a couple different scenarios:

1. Other trader likes a higher-end card I have, asks if we can work something out. I check their tradelist/bucket, it's filled with low value cards. At this point I realize I've wasted my time and say thanks but no thanks.

2. Other trader likes a higher-end card I have, asks if we can work something out. I check their tradelist/bucket, it has a bunch of comparable cards to my high-end. Now we're getting somewhere! I inquire about several cards I like that we should be able to work out a deal for. Other trader responds "Oh, those are all traded/PC/for sale only". At this point I realize I've wasted my time and say thanks but no thanks.

3. A scenario where the whole BV and SV thing actually does come into play. Let's say the card I like has a BV of $100 but routinely sells for $10. At this point the other trader chooses to quote BV as their preferred method of trading, yet conveniently says he's most interested in my $100 BV card that sells for $75. I know you just went and checked ebay. Not interested.

3. Part 2 - Flip that last scenario over. My $15 BV card is very inaccurately priced by Beckett and is a rare SP that sells for $50+ when it becomes available. Of course, the most the other trader can offer is a $20 BV Andrej Meszaros Black Diamond Jersey card, and will even go as far as saying they're giving me the edge in BV.

Of course, these things don't always happen, but it happens very frequently and really soured me on the whole trading thing. One of the few people I regularly trade with is actually piper1 (Peter) because we know what each other is comfortable with. He is a proponent of trading by BV, which I am ok with, but he will pick out a list of cards of mine he likes, and then say "let me know which of your cards you are comfortable with trading away" rather than trying to rob me blind like a lot of others on here. I don't necessarily agree with his views on ebay, but people were put on Earth to disagree with each other anyways.

About a month ago, I made a trade on another site (not sure if this fellow is a member here) and I could not have been more pleased with how it went. It was for a large collection of Patrick Lalime cards that he had available. When I first mentioned I was interested in the collection he had, I mentioned that I was looking to trade similar value/type cards for each other, as in base jersey valued at $10-15 for base jersey valued at $10-15, auto patch valued at $50 for auto patch valued at $50, etc. He agreed that this was the most reasonable way to go, and while it took a while to hammer out a deal, we both came away from the trade very happy. I could do trades like that all day.

And before you ask, no I will not trade my sweet MacKinnon patches /4 for your Lalime auto.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

excellent post! ^^^^^

SCF Rewards
    Country

The main reason I really stepped back from trading is that a large percentage of people on this site try to "win" every trade.

That's a big part of why I've stepped back from trading. I don't mind "losing" a trade, but bartering with some folks here is a nightmare. I know we're all guilty of the endowment effect at times, but it's very exaggerated at times. Not that such behavior is exclusive to SCF, but I do have an easier time completing actual trades over on HI for whatever reason.

As far as general traffic, this site just doesn't seem to be as busy as a few years ago...again, I don't know if that's just my perception or if it's reflected by statistics.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Does your local post office have a self service kiosk? If it does, you can use a #000 bubble mailer and send it to Canada as a large envelope for $2.29 on average.

Also, a method pointed out to me by Gallinator, you can use cardboard DVD mailers, and send them as a regular letter to Canada for like $1.60 I think it is. Just don't put a customs form on

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joshpackham's Items on eBay

I think one of the other reasons it is so difficult to complete trades is I have very specific wants and unless you have a card I'm really interested in, it's not worth my time to try and work something out for that card. However, I've managed to work a few deals on this site and on HI where I have a card someone else wants and I send it to them and all I ask in return is what they feel is fair value in maple leaf cards. This has been fun as it is a surprise as to what I'm getting. Keep in mind this has been down with low end rc/jersey and insert cards. Also due to the shipping costs most of these deals have been done with other Canadians.
    Hidden Content
    I collect Ovechkin, Matt Johnson and Nathan Horton

MY PC
    Hidden Content

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast