Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Bill Ranford, Curtis Joseph, the Summit Experience...Oh My! Pics Galore!

So this past weekend was the second ever setup of my museum and I had over 21 pieces on display. It saw the revelation of my biggest mystery piece in the museum, and it also saw the addition of four more brand new pieces into it. Not to mention, we sold lots of cards and networked a lot.

So enjoy the many pictures, and don't hesitate to comment and "like" Bruce C. Goaltending Museum on Facebook!

The winner of our big draw for a game-used Scott Langkow goalie stick:

So, we also revealed our big mystery piece and here it is:

Born on December 14, 1966 in Brandon, Manitoba, William Edward Ranford had a fine WHL career with the New Westminster Bruins before being drafted 52nd overall by the Bruins in the 1985 draft. Ranford made his NHL debut on March 29, 1986 and recorded a convincing 2-1 win against the Buffalo Sabres on that day. He appeared in four games with the Bruins in 85-86 before getting into 41 the following season. Ranford ended up in the minors in 87-88 before being traded to the Edmonton Oilers in the deal that saw Andy Moog go to the Bruins. In Edmonton, Ranford had some of the finest years of his career, going from backup to legend Grant Fuhr in 1987-88, to a 71 game starter and two-time Stanley Cup Winner by 1994. He single-handedly led the Oilers to the 1990 Stanley Cup championship, winning all 16 games in that playoff year. In 1996, Ranford was traded back to the Bruins. There, he remained until 1996-97, when he was acquired by the Washington Capitals. From there, Ranford went to the Lightning for the 1998-99 season before ending up in Detroit that same year. Finally, for the 1999-00 season, the Edmonton Oilers signed him to a one-year deal so he could close out his career with the team he had his best moments with. In his 647 game regular season career, Ranford recorded a 240-279-76 record with 15 shutouts, 24 assists, a 3.41GAA, and a 0.888% save average. In 53 playoff games, Ranford recorded a 28-25 record with four shutouts, a 3.07GAA, and a 0.897% save average. Truly one of the greats of the game!

The sweater you are looking at is a game used Ranford 1989-90 home set 1 sweater. Oddly enough, the Oilers' tenth anniversary patch was included on the sweater and was crudely covered up by the team using a rectangular piece of fabric on the right shoulder (take a look). The team used two sets of jerseys in the 1989-90 season and wear on this sweater is consistent with that of a starting goalie. Puck marks, stick marks, post transfer, and team repairs adorn the sweater.

And we also added three game used sticks:

Born in Uusikaupunki, Finland on June 23, 1962, Kari Takko was the 200th overall pick in the 1981 NHL entry draft. In 1984, Takko's name was placed back into the draft and he was then selected by Minnesota 97th overall. He made his NHL debut on March 8, 1986, making 31 stops in a 4-2 loss to Winnipeg. He worked his way up to being a 30+ game goaltender for three additional seasons before eventually falling in the depth chart and being traded to Edmonton to backup Bill Ranford in 1990-91. After 11 games with the Oilers, Takko retired from the NHL and played out the rest of his hockey days in Finland and Sweden until 1999-00. In 142 games of NHL play, Takko recorded a 37-71-14 record with one shutout, a 3.90GAA, and a 0.879% save average. On top of that, he appeared in four playoff games and he recorded a 0-1 record with a 3.85GAA and a 0.873% save average.

The stick you are looking at is game dated to a December 2, 1989 contest between Edmonton and Minnesota in which Takko appeared in the final period of play and stopped 6 of 7 shots in a 6-1 defeat.

Up next, hailing from Chicago, Illinois and a child of 1957 is goaltender Bob Janecyk. Janecyk turned pro right after college and signed with the Blackhawks in 1980 before making his NHL debut for them in the 1983-84 season, a 3-3 tie against Pittsburgh. He was acquired by the Kings in 1984-85 and he became their starter, appearing in 51 games for them and leading them into the playoffs. The following season, he dropped down to 38 games, then 7 games, then 5, and then one last game in 1988-89 before retiring from hockey. Of everything, what he is most notable for is fighting Tom Barrasso in 1985. Regardless, in 110 NHL games, he recorded a 43-47-13 record with two shutouts, a 4.15GAA, and a 0.867% save average. In three playoff games, he recorded a 0-3 record with a 3.26GAA and a 0.900% save average.

This stick is game dated to a December 22, 1987 contest against Edmonton, in which he stopped 30 of 35 shots in a 5-2 defeat.

The last stick for today belonged to Quebec City's own, Mario Brunetta. Born on January 25, 1967, Brunetta was drafted 162nd overall by Quebec in the 1985 entry draft, coming right out of the QMJHL. He made his NHL debut in the 1987-88 season and appeared in a total of 29 games for the Nordiques that year. The following year, he was down to five games, and then up to six before leaving the NHL and playing in Italy, Germany, and Sweden and then eventually retiring from play in 2002-03. In his 40 game NHL career spanning three seasons, Brunetta recorded a 12-17-1 record with a 3.90GAA and a 0.871% save average. He appeared in no playoff games.

This stick is game dated to a November 18, 1987 contest against the Edmonton Oilers in which Mario Brunetta was the backup behind Mario Gosselin.

The final piece is arguably the most exciting of the bunch!

You might have heard of this goalie! His name, Curtis Shayne Joseph. Born April 29, 1967 in Keswick, Ontario, Curtis Joseph was an undrafted goaltender who played in various junior leagues before being signed by the St. Louis Blues in 1989. CuJo made his NHL debut on January 2, 1990 in a 6-4 defeat against Edmonton and he never looked back. He quickly attained starter status in St. Louis before being acquired by Edmonton in 1995. Joseph started out the season in Las Vegas of the IHL before he was called up to the club to replace Bill Ranford who had been traded away. He remained as a starter with Edmonton until the end of the 1997-98 season. CuJo was then acquired by the Maple Leafs where he remained for four seasons before hitting Detroit in 2003-04. He became the starter for Phoenix between 2005-2007 and eventually closed out his career with short backup stints with Calgary in 2007-08 and Toronto in 2008-09. Truly one of the greats of the game, he put up unbelievable numbers, yet was never able to win the Stanley Cup, nor any other NHL trophy besides the King Clancy Memorial Trophy in 1999-00. In his long career, Curtis Joseph appeared in 943 games, recording a 454-352-90-6 record with 51 shutouts, 31 assists, a 2.79GAA, and a 0.906% save average. To top that off, he appeared in 133 playoff games, recording a 63-66 record with 16 shutouts, a 2.42GAA and a 0.917% save average. As of the end of the 2014-15 season, Curtis Joseph is the league's 4th all-time winningest goalie in history.

What you are looking at now is a glove and blocker set used by Curtis Joseph during his IHL stint with the Las Vegas Thunder and also during his first few games with the Edmonton Oilers. The glove is an interesting piece as it is not actually made for CuJo, but rather another goalie who was with the Thunder. Depite that, he used the photomatched glove in the IHL and some NHL time. Truly an interesting, and unusual piece for this great goalie.

Dates of game use: All IHL/Up to 11 games to start off his Oilers tenure

Acquired from: Hometown Heroes

Photomatched: Yes (both pieces)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Hahahahaaa I think I heard Sean throw up all the way over on the west coast!!!!!

Those are some amazing pickups! That is some amazing show! Gotta respect that Ranford jersey no matter how much everyone, well me anyways, hates them Oilers.

I just keep scrolling through the pics, congrats Bruce!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

Amazing additions and love the displays. Congrats and thanks for the show

Agree Ed. I think I heard Sean hit his head on the ground (only the first 3 hits where on purpose lol)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Beauty thread! The Ranford jersey is one of the nicest things I've seen in a show & tell thread in a long, long time...... though the 10th anniversary patch being buried like that, seems a little odd? Any idea why that was done?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Hahahahaaa I think I heard Sean throw up all the way over on the west coast!!!!!

Those are some amazing pickups! That is some amazing show! Gotta respect that Ranford jersey no matter how much everyone, well me anyways, hates them Oilers.

I just keep scrolling through the pics, congrats Bruce!!

LOL. Thanks a lot, nice to finally get one of the big three Cup Winners for the Oilers. Fuhr or Moog would be nice now!

Amazing additions and love the displays. Congrats and thanks for the show

Agree Ed. I think I heard Sean hit his head on the ground (only the first 3 hits where on purpose lol)

Thanks a lot and I hope I didn't cause him a concussion!

Beauty thread! The Ranford jersey is one of the nicest things I've seen in a show & tell thread in a long, long time...... though the 10th anniversary patch being buried like that, seems a little odd? Any idea why that was done?

I asked around quite a bit and my original theory was that it was recycled from 1988-89 when they actively wore the patch on the jerseys. However, that was not the case. The Oilers just switched over from Nike jerseys to CCMs for 1989-90 and the Tenth Anniversary patches were placed on the jerseys because 1989-90 was the team's actual tenth anniversary, and not 1988-89 (based on the Oilers' entry into the NHL). However, since they already used them the year before, the team, instead of ordering new stuff or removing them, ended up placing a piece of rectangular fabric on the inside and outside of the jersey to cover it up. Just touching it, you can still feel it underneath. Several other players had this treatment with their jerseys based on what I've seen in photos and on previous auctions.