Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: That new card smell...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

That new card smell...

OK, someone tell me I'm not the only person who sniffs cards sometimes. I know people who love the smell of new books, magazines, cars, and shoes, so surely someone appreciates the variety of smells of trading cards. Right? Right?

So, come out of the closet - what are your favorites? 1993 Topps Archives is probably my top one of all-time. I'm sad to say that sitting in a box has taken away some of the scent of a fresh break, however. The early Stadium Club sets smelled very nice, too, and unlike Archives, they seem to have held up well in boxes over the years. Of card brands in general, I'd say Topps had the greatest range of nice whiffs. Even a lot of the unglossy sets smell nice.

Lesser ones? 1998-99 Bowman's Best, though a Topps product, smells too much like pancake syrup. Not a fan. Upper Deck's sets, meanwhile, tended to be very bland aromatically, but 2000-01 Slam was a great exception. Must have been that acetate.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Can't say I ever really paid attention to to the smell of new cards. Vintage cards that are really old have that vintage smell that is useful when trying to find out if the card is fake or not but as long as new cards don't smell of smoke I don't really care what they smell like.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Ha. I did dig through Google earlier to see if anyone else ever brought up this topic anywhere. There was one other thread, and I found quite a few fans of the smell of 1991 Stadium Club and 1991 Upper Deck (I presume football).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

Topps Chrome lol. Had such a new smell to it, for me at least. I don't recall the bad smelling card products. It was cool when they had gum inside the packs. Topps Bazooka gum I would chew throughout the school year back in the day, haha.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Anything skybox/ fleer smelled fresh

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dayzdtomato's Items on eBay

I've never been a hardcore smeller but there is a certain dusty/cardboardy scent when you pull out a bunch of cards.

I know what you're talking about though because my son can't open a pack of soccer cards without immediately putting them to his nose.
    Bring me your Portland Trail Blazers!