Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

My First Deal With a Former NHL Player 2 Years in the Making. WOW!!!

Abouttwo years ago (Jan. 2013), I added a game worn jersey to my museum collection,a first NHL win Oilers jersey belonging to former NHL goaltender, StevePassmore. I posted it on my personal Facebook and tagged Steve in it, expectinghim to not even notice as maybe 1 in 5 or so former players ever really carethat I have something of theirs in my museum. Instead, he asked me directlywhere I got it from and what we could work out to have it re-enter hiscollection since he had been looking for it for a while.

Iresisted at first, because you can't just get a first win piece so easily andI've had so many other people offer money and stuff of the sort on my jerseysand I never gave into those either. I offered to make a trade, but he reallydidn't have anything game worn of his to barter with and it wasn't about moneyto me. We sort of left it there and I explained my side because I wasn't tryingto be a prick. Fast forward to January of this year and I am a little more reasonableto deal with and Steve made me an offer that I accepted because who wouldappreciate a first NHL win jersey more than the player himself. To me themuseum's about having fans remember every goalie of the NHL, but it feels wrongto say 'no' to the original user of the sweater. All I asked was that we holdout until after the May Summit Show as I wanted to display his jersey in myBattle of Alberta themed display. As I see it as an act of positive karma foroffering to help Steve, his NHL debut/first win, etc. mask actually made itsway into my collection from another collector right after the show as well (adeal made well after I finalized the offer with Mr. Passmore). Anyways, ourdeal was I send the jersey his way in exchange for a game/practice used glovefrom when he was in the Coyotes' system in 2005-06, as well as a signed photo.

Well,we completed the deal, so here they are in all of their glory. The mask is inmy last show and tell thread if you want to check it out.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Now that you have an "in" with the NHLPA can you arrange for the Sedins to come visit Dave's house and maybe do some light yardwork? Cuz I owe him a favor :)

That's an awesome story Bruce, it made me feel like a kid reading about you and an ACTUAL NHL PLAYER!!!! The "Passmore" and logo on that glove are just too cool as well.

Nice start to the weekend, thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country

Now that you have an "in" with the NHLPA can you arrange for the Sedins to come visit Dave's house and maybe do some light yardwork? Cuz I owe him a favor :)

That's an awesome story Bruce, it made me feel like a kid reading about you and an ACTUAL NHL PLAYER!!!! The "Passmore" and logo on that glove are just too cool as well.

Nice start to the weekend, thanks!

If I did that, I have a feeling that they would choke doing that as well, like accidentally rip up your lawn, or put plant killer in the fertilizer, turning your lawn into a Mad Max desert wasteland.

Thank you, it was quite exciting working out a deal with a former pro athlete. Definitely not the average day in the life for the museum, but cool nonetheless!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    20 connexionhck
    Country

Very nice story and awesome glove!! :D

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aspencer528's Items on eBay

Great read. Beauty on the glove.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @kin_kinsley See wvu_class_of_2001's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think that it's awesome that you were willing to part with it and get it back TO him. I love hearing stories about when items get into a great home, not just to where someone had the most money, etc.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country

Thanks for all of the comments!

I think that it's awesome that you were willing to part with it and get it back TO him. I love hearing stories about when items get into a great home, not just to where someone had the most money, etc.

It's nice when someone understands. I've been offered big money in the premium range for some of my museum pieces, but I have never moved them because it's not about money, but about bringing the names of these goalies to the light. Plus Passmore was a nice guy to deal with!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @kin_kinsley See wvu_class_of_2001's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I certainly do. Probably five years ago or so, I bought a couple of packs of Bowman Chrome baseball at my local card shop and hit a Ryan Tatusko Orange Refractor /25. I posted it on here and got a reply within a couple of hours. It was HIM, looking to pick it up from me. I sold it to him for less than he could have gotten it for on eBay. I just asked for the cost of my two packs and he was happy to pick it up.

Funny part was, it was when I lived in the Indianapolis area. He actually went to high school like 15 miles from where I lived at the time. Small world!

Thanks for all of the comments!

It's nice when someone understands. I've been offered big money in the premium range for some of my museum pieces, but I have never moved them because it's not about money, but about bringing the names of these goalies to the light. Plus Passmore was a nice guy to deal with!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See baseballislife1984's Items on eBay

GREAT story!

I would have done the exact same thing if I was in your shoes.

Usually time reveals some of the most significant moments of your life, although they might not have seemed incredibly important at the time because your living in the moment. It must have been really nice for him to have gotten the jersey back!