Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Can Jack Eichel become the first American 'generational' hockey talent?

The word “generational” has been thrown around a lot this year in the hockey world.

Both Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel have had their names attached to the label.

As in, these are generational talents we’re talking about here.

As in, it’s no coincidence that tanking became a hot topic in 2014-15.

McDavid — like Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, and most of the other greatest hockey players of all time — is Canadian.

Eichel is American.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...hockey-talent/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

You do not consider Mike Modano the first American-born generational talent? He has the most points of any American-born player in history.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Modano, Chelios, Patrick Kane, Pat Lafontaine?

Are none of those above considered generational talents or are they just in the above average category? Lafontaine had a 148 pt season and Kane is already on his third cup.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Modano, Chelios, Patrick Kane, Pat Lafontaine?

Are none of those above considered generational talents or are they just in the above average category? Lafontaine had a 148 pt season and Kane is already on his third cup.

Matt,

Of the players you listed, only Patrick Kane might be considered a generational American talent when his career is done, but as it stands - and until if/when Kane passes Modano, Mike is the original generational American talent.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Matt,

Of the players you listed, only Patrick Kane might be considered a generational American talent when his career is done, but as it stands - and until if/when Kane passes Modano, Mike is the original generational American talent.

Fair enough, maybe I was being a little loose with the the generational tag.

With that said it will be pretty hard for Eichel to be better than any four of the above though imo.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Fair enough, maybe I was being a little loose with the the generational tag.

With that said it will be pretty hard for Eichel to be better than any four of the above though imo.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Players today are being watched from as young as 10 years old or younger, and many have been hyped up and tagged as "The Next One". Lindros, Crosby, MacKinnon and now McDavid and Eichel are just a few to be given that moniker. Rubbish.

These are the "generational players" of my generation (by country):

Wayne Gretzky (Canada)
    Mike Modano (United States)
    Peter Stastny (Slovakia)
    Jaromir Jagr (Czech Republic)
    Sergei Fedorov (Russia)
    Peter Bondra (Ukraine)
    Teemu Selanne (Finland)
    Nicklas Lidstrom (Sweden)

Any disagreement with any of these?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree wholeheartedly.

Players today are being watched from as young as 10 years old or younger, and many have been hyped up and tagged as "The Next One". Lindros, Crosby, MacKinnon and now McDavid and Eichel are just a few to be given that moniker. Rubbish.

These are the "generational players" of my generation (by country):

Wayne Gretzky (Canada)
    Mike Modano (United States)
    Peter Stastny (Slovakia)
    Jaromir Jagr (Czech Republic)
    Sergei Fedorov (Russia)
    Peter Bondra (Ukraine)
    Teemu Selanne (Finland)
    Nicklas Lidstrom (Sweden)

Any disagreement with any of these?

No problem with that list, maybe Kurri over Selanne for Finland though.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

No problem with that list, maybe Kurri over Selanne for Finland though.

But Kurri had Gretzky at center for years...not a fair comparison. Me or you could have had a Hall of Fame career with him. Selanne has more career points and his center was...who?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Does generational imply only one player per country and decade? Or is it how much he dominates compared to his NHL peers regardless of birth certificate? If the latter, Modanno and most others really don't stand out, only Wayne and Mario dominated significantly. 1979' and 86' puts them within a decade of each other but I still see them as from a different generation because being 7 years younger is a significant advantage.
    I think the term generational carries a lot of unwritten assumptions that no one has spelled out. I would say Lindros for sure was dominant, but Not as dominant as everyone thought or hoped. Maybe because he won no cups, or his off ice issues etc, who knows? but no HOF yet...but he was extremely dominant, just not 99 or 66 dominant, which seems to be the standard by which it is NOW impossible to compare to for any player.
    What would be dominant today, 120 plus pts?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Does generational imply only one player per country and decade? Or is it how much he dominates compared to his NHL peers regardless of birth certificate? If the latter, Modanno and most others really don't stand out, only Wayne and Mario dominated significantly. 1979' and 86' puts them within a decade of each other but I still see them as from a different generation because being 7 years younger is a significant advantage.
    I think the term generational carries a lot of unwritten assumptions that no one has spelled out. I would say Lindros for sure was dominant, but Not as dominant as everyone thought or hoped. Maybe because he won no cups, or his off ice issues etc, who knows? but no HOF yet...but he was extremely dominant, just not 99 or 66 dominant, which seems to be the standard by which it is NOW impossible to compare to for any player.
    What would be dominant today, 120 plus pts?

I would guess 100+ points over at LEAST a ten year stretch. Lindros was a force for about 6 or 7 solid years. After that, meh...had he continued to be healthy and kept the pace, he would be a definite Hall of Fame candidate. Absolutely. An overwhelming number of Hall of Famers generally (but not always) have these qualifications:

At least one Stanley Cup
    One major individual award (Calder, Hart, etc.)
    A point-per-game player (or more)
    Longevity
    Are honoured as an end-of-season all star

Most of those can be checked off for Eric. Currently he is #119 on the all time list. Not bad, but not eye-popping. Many players are above him on the list.

I believe his attitude towards Quebec and the shenanigans that went on between himself and Bobby Clarke hurts him BIG TIME. I really do. Everybody acted like children and Eric "took his puck and went home" as it were, after being cleared to play that year and sitting out the rest of the 2000-01 season because he didn't get traded to Toronto.

These are not actions befitting a hall of fame player. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast