Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Players you know?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

The entire reason behind the Stempniak collection is because he is local. He played his youth hockey about a minute from my house, his parents live a short 5 minute drive away, and I bowl in the same bowling league as his grandmother, who is a complete riot for an old lady.

Dont really know too many NHLers but my brother used to skate with Justin Bailey locally. I have had much more interactions with NFL guys. I played on a team in youth football for a 2 years with superbowl winning running back James Starks and then played against him in high school. I also played in a double overtime game in high school that featured 2 NFL players with the last name Gronkowski. Rob Gronk was actually my blocking assignment and (mostly because he wasnt in the best shape in high school lol) i sort of held my own. We happened to win that game in double OT which holds a spot as my favorite personal sports moment lol. Kind of cool hearing about peoples interactions with the athletes we collect

Never knew this about you, pretty interesting for sure!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hugehitter31's Items on eBay

Couple of my PC players are that way. Nigel Dawes I've never met but an old co worker of mine was his uncle and got me a signed stick of his so I made a PC of him.

Another is Michael (and Mark) Stone. My friend has a cottage and is friends with Mike. At his cabin one weekend we hung out with mike boating and such. At the time he was in the AHL and I have a really nice collection of his stuff.

Last one is Trevor Kidd. Guy is a stone throw from my parents and Is a great guy. Been over for games, been on fishing trips etc with him. Class act guy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have no connections to any pro athletes. But I do own a lot of Dan Hinote cards and a game-used jersey because he was the first hockey player that went to West Point to play in the NHL. I also collect cards of athletes that are diabetic (another connection) -- Nick Boynton, Cory Conacher, etc.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (63)
    Country
    See jc-card-collectibles's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

The only true player i collect is Jean-Gabriel Pagesu because he is from the Ottawa region and plays for the Sens.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My 15 year old son is a great friend and played Hockey with 15 year old Joseph Veleno who was taken first in the QMJHL draft this year, Veleno is the fifth player to receive exceptional player status, joining John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, Connor McDavid, and Sean Day.
    He's been often to my house for supper, parties, and just to hangout.
    You guys should keep an eye out for him, he will be great

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=770128

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I have been lucky enough to have lunch and golf with Billy Smith on more than one occasion through work.
    I do collect his stuff and have several things signed by him and also got to try on his 4 Stanley Cup rings.
    http://s247.photobucket.com/user/hos...?sort=6&page=1

I just don't live right. I tried to find him for years when he was scouting the minors. It became a running joke for my friends...even on nights I knew he was in the arena. I started referring to him as the ghost! I didn't grow up in a hockey area...or even knowing much about it. Fast forward to the mid-to-late 70s...I saw a televised Islanders/ Rangers game and it almost felt like the moment in church where Jake Blues gets religion. This was mainly due to Billy Smith. Fast forward..I have been carrying cards and pucks in the trunk of my car for years. One day Billy...don't be surprised if some large bald idiot saunters up and gushes gibberish while holding out a sharpie. He is harmless...and a really big fan.

Lucky you. The only Stanley Cup ring I have ever been offered to wear...sigh...I appreciated the offer...really...but...it was Mike Keenan's cup ring from 93-94. He had just taken it back from my friend who had worn it for about 10 minutes. When he offered it to me, I smiled...told him thanks, but no...that I couldn't. He looked at me quizzically. My friend laughed out loud and explained I was an Isles fan. That's when Keenan laughed out loud and said he understood. It was funny and sparked some humorous conversation between us. Anyway, I read the above with envy and coveting in my heart. Now I am off to click your link. Thanks!
    Last edited by BGH; 07-03-2015 at 12:09 AM.

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

I was real good friends with Nathan Perrot in high school, still talk to him a couple times a year.
    My brother grew up playing ball with chris minard.
    Curtis Sanford worked summers in my place of work for 2 years, his dad still shops there once a week
    Bobby Ryan played a year in our slo pitch league, Theo Peckham still played in our league up until last year not sure about this year.

I have several cards of all of these players as well as several IP autos, and my main PC is ryan although the reason has nothing to do with slo pitch. I collect Ryan Hishon Halmo and Shaw because they all played for my hometown Owen Sound Attack and were all class act players while here.
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12