Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See allenhawks's Items on eBay

Too old to collect too young to die

The title is a take on the Jethro Tull album "Too old to rock and roll, too young to die"

First of all, I am not dying or anything close to that. I want everyone to know that right off the top.

Gentleman and ladies of this forum, I have made a decision to STOP COLLECTING !! I am fast approaching my 59th birthday and have realized, over the past few days, that collecting hockey cards (the only sport i collect) is no longer interesting or fun for me. And yes i am a collector. I enjoy making sets, collecting my favorite players. I have loved hockey cards since my early teen years. I still have a stack of beat up cards from 74-75-76 OPC with the dinged corners/creases etc from playing games with them. I've got all kinds of cards and some completed base sets from the early to mid 90's, thousands of cards.
    I did enjoy trying to make sets but the cost of cards these days makes it difficult to do. I really like the OPC Platinum that came out but with even a box like that being $100+ doesn't make it worth while at all. I enjoyed scouring ebay, the forums here, COMC for my players but now i could care less. SPA just came out, i have no interest at all, never even looked at a checklist.
    I guess am i too old for this hobby now? Is it a "young mans game"? I know i've got better things i can do with $100 then buy a box of cards that will not get me anywhere near a complete base set.

So what i'm gonna do is sell off everything!. Now I may not have an extensive, or expensive collection as other collectors, but that's me. I'm going to make a huge ( i mean huge) list on speadsheet and i'm either going to post it here or maybe get one of those free websites and put there. It's gonna take time though, as I don't have any of my cards documented. they are sitting in various boxes, or, recentl additions are stacked on my dresser,

I'd like to thank everone who i've dealt with on here through trades/purchaes/sales. it's been fun. But I just feel this hobby has passed me by. I may be wrong, but it's how i feel. I hope when i get this massive list completed, you folks will find something of interest. It's gonna be inserts/parallels/GU/RC/Autos from early 90s to today.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, EVERYONE ENJOY CANADA DAY AND FOR THE US MEMBERS, THE 4TH OF JULY

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hi

Maybe step back from the hobby for a bit . Sometimes a break can rekindle the desire to collect. I'm an older collector myself . I collect what I like.There is too much out there to keep up. Age has nothing to do with collecting. It's the kid inside that counts. We all need a distraction from everyday life. We could say the same about playing sports. Do we quit when we turn 50. No , we play because we love the game. I still play hockey 3 times a week and as long as my legs will carry me I will continue to play. Just my thoughts. Hope things work out for you.

Cheers Mike

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

I can agree with you feelings. I only collect TTM auto anymore as it is impossible and not cost effective to try an make sets anymore in any sport.And trading is just as tough because if you do not have the latest high tier cards or top flavor rookies you are beat for trades. Good luck selling your collection.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves St Louis Rams San Diego Padres
    Twitter: @@charbrian23 See Charbrian23's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale

i agree with debtriddin, take a step back for awhile as maybe that is what you need is just a break for a couple months..I take breaks every so often so I do not get burned out by all the stuff that keeps on coming out..

I still play softball 2 times a week, actually 1 is a team practice and games are Saturday...as long as I can walk,i play

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I agree with you that some of the fun has definitely gone out the hobby. I will be 47 this year and have been seriously collecting for over 25 years. While I understand the hobby has been changed by the card companies who are driven to maximize profits (as they should), and it has alienated many collectors. Back in the 2000's when $5 - $10 packs started coming out (SPx, SPGU, etc) I was appalled and swore I would never buy a pack that expensive.

Today, one pack boxes (cup, dominion, etc) are selling in the $600 - $700 range and people are paying it!. I am just as guilty, paying $20 for a 2-pack box of Select, or 5-pack box of Artifacts. Comes out to $4-$10 per pack...breaking my own rule. Add to that the glut of parallel and short-numbered cards (my personal peeve) and it is easy to become jaded.

Despite all of that, I still love collecting! I have just had to modify the way I approach it, my goals, and my expectations. I focus on Player Collecting now as set building has become too much. I still love ripping open packs, but now the challenge is the chase to find that elusive single, insert or parallel. Scouring eBay, card forums like SCF and other places to find the PC cards I need.

I still have the frustrations, but when I land a whale it feels pretty darn good. Sorry to be long winded.

My only caution would be to give it time before you sell. Once they're gone , they're gone. You can always decide to sell later.
    Now, cue, all the people I just ticked off because they are waiting for your cards to hit the market.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

More power to ya, Robert. At the age of 46 I'm feeling the exact same way. Things aren't quite the same as they used to be when you'd buy 5 or 6 or 10 packs from the drug store for a dollar and rip em open and trade them with your friends and build a set and play near-sies/far-sies/top-sies with the doubles and that was that eh?

I don't think it's a young or old man's "game" because I don't think it's a game anymore, it's serious business there, buddy.

Heyyyyy, got any Keslers for sale? :D

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See baseballislife1984's Items on eBay

I am currently in my early 30's and still love to collect! My main focus is on 80's & 90's cards. I don't touch new stuff. For me it is just way to far out of my price range and I don't feel like I get good value back for my money.

The big change I noitce now in my collecting is that little voice in my head reminding me of more important things I could be spending the money on. When I was younger in my earl 20s, dropping $100's of dollars a month didn't bother me. Now I barely crack $80 in spending on this hobby a month. It does take away from the fun a bit as I am usually outbid most times, so I stick to COMC, flea markets, shows always looking for the best deals. Currently with a limited budget I have been working on some base sets. 90-91 OPC Premier, 88-89 OPC and early 90s' pinnacle and am having a blast! I have also been picking up 80's Rookies...

That's a big commitment to sell off your entire collection! Maybe keep your childhood cards and a few of your favourite items? You will probably regret it at some point down the road..
    Collecting Jim Carey cards!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Well, it's certainly not a "young man's game" because they can't afford it!

But xahax, that is a decision that everyone has to make eventually, I guess. One suggestion, though. Don't sell everything! Keep a couple cards that remind you of certain events that happened during your collecting "career" and they will remind you of the good times you had, just like old family photos and such. I still remember the very first hockey card I ever bought, way back in 1990 -- an '89 OPC Joe Sakic for $1. I'm never going to retire on it, but I will still have that card when I die.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Every dealer is old...shop owners mostly old and people buying high end old so hardly a young man's game more like rich man's....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Maple Leafs
    See thehip_022's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's all in how you play the "game" , it's not a rich mans game if you don't make it too be and if you don't enjoy it , don't do it . Yes , there is a financial aspect , but still just a hobby .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast