Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mr2latino's Items on eBay

How many times have you switched your collection?

I don't know about you guys but I've switched my collection around countless times...

When I restarted to collect in 2004 (the Crosby hype brought me back in), I only collected RCs. I didn't really have a plan, so I just got YGs from every year. Then I figured that I would get some of the older stuff, so I started acquiring some RCs of 80s of star players.

Then I stopped for a while, cause life was getting in the way (marriage, house ect...)

When I restarted again I decided to collect HOF autos but that fizzled out (my best auto was a Howe and I kept that one)...then I decided to put the 2013/14 artifacts set together, all the levels (base, ruby, emerald, sapphire etc..), but when I hit a bump I stopped...after that I player collected Huberdeau but got bored pretty quickly.

My new project now is vintage...I don't know how long it will last but I feel that with vintage it can be considered a bit more of an investment so perhaps that might be more engaging.

So here's my collecting history summed up:

-collected YGs from every year (mostly 2000 and up)
    -then got into collecting 80s RCs (a few only)
    -then got into collecting HOF autos
    -then started putting the 2013/14 artifacts set together
    -then player collected Huberdeau
    -now am collecting vintage RCs in PSA form

what's your collecting history look like?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Some of the names have changed over the years, but two teams remain the same: Montreal Canadiens and Kelowna Rockets.

Also enduring: Carey Price and Josh Gorges.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joshpackham's Items on eBay

I started with Ovechkin and Matt Johnson, and have since added Nathan Horton as well as the Leafs, typically I don't look for leaf cards it just makes it easier to trade having a team as opposed to just very specific players.
    Hidden Content
    I collect Ovechkin, Matt Johnson and Nathan Horton

MY PC
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See truepar's Items on eBay

I collected in the early 90's (yay cardboard junk). I've always been a set collector, so when I started back to collecting again in 2013, I've only concentrated on building sets that I like and include only the subsets that interest me from them.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Collected late 80s, early 90s like many people when they were kids. Then stopped for like 20 years. Then started by dusting off the old boxes, burning most of it and grading some others and selling/trading the rest. Ended up keeping my favs like Jagr OPC Premier and Sundin cards :)
    Nowadays I collect a couple PC players, mostly MacKinnon, and a few sets to do with those players. Namely 13-14 Series 1 YGs in there various subsets like Exclusive / BGS 10, canvas etc.
    Collect what you like. Simple.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Collected in the early 90's then stopped...

Now...Jagr/Selanne with a touch of Brodeur for player collectors...
    High end RC's
    NT base and RPA set...about 50% done..
    Ultimate /99 rc's...
    Like triple auto's hard signed

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I started collecting in 2005-2006. At first, I just collected players I liked, or specific goalies who caught my eye. I didn't have any direction with my collection at first, and after a found eBay, just a single or two from a goalie here and there, and the accumulated base/inserts from pack breaks (the corner store knew me well back in those days).

Then I started to focus on my Jhonas Enroth PC as one of my very first "player collections". After that I formed my Brodeur PC & Belfour PC's from the base/inserts i'd collected over the years, and I recently added a Marc-Andre Fleury PC.

Some names have been added, but thing has always stayed the same: Goalies.

I have completed one goalie-related set (06-07 Fleer Netminders), and I'd really like to add another on day. So, for now, it seems pretty concrete on where my collection is headed, but that may be added to one day, who knows. :)

Great thread! Always nice to see other collectors chime in!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (17)
    Country
    See iidaemmi's Items on eBay

Started somewhere middle in 90's. I took some Finnish sets and Gilmour. A few years later I stayed a break. I came back ten years ago (long break ) I collected more Gilmour, Leaf 1997-98 set and a little bit Crosby and Kopitar.

So far, they all gone except Gilmour, so basically I still collect where I started and that's why I have the badge, this has happened to me

Harri
    Last edited by iidaemmi; 07-21-2015 at 01:10 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

My collecting history from when I got back in around 2010. Before then it was just open whatever I felt like and use everything (within reason) for IP/TTM autos (too many to count):
    Isles everything
    David Ullstrom, Nino Niederreiter, Calvin De Haan (2011-12)
    John Tavares, Casey Cizikas (2012-13)
    Isles rookeis (2013-2015)

Still currently going:
    Set wants (always changes based on whats finished)
    Islanders Young Guns/UD rookies and Ice rookies
    Isles Cup base, black diamond hardware heroes/championship rings
    Khalil Mack (football)
    Naaman Roosevelt (football, missing 2 cards)
    James Starks (football, missing 11 for his college collection)
    Derek King (started in 2011)
    Matt Dzieduszycki (started in 2011)
    Pierre Turgeon
    Zigmund Palffy
    Ginter rainbows of Laura Phelps-Sweatt, Phil Heath, Phil Pfister, Samantha Briggs, Ryan Kennelly, Henry Rollins

I go through alot of phases based on how I feel at the time. Right now its mainly the sets to help slim down the list. I'm hoping to have my wantlist down from 5 pages to 3 by September (2 for sets, 3 for PC players, working on getting the low end stuff out of the way first)
    I collect Matt Dzieduszycki, Derek King, Pierre Turgeon (Isles only), Zigmund Palffy (Isles only) plus specific current Isles (mainly Wahlstrom, Dobson, Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock)

All photos/lists can be found here:
    Hidden Content

Please, no more offers for tradebait. I have enough of it as it is.

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

I started collecting in 81,(7 years old) OPC hockey and baseball sets each year as well as the sticker books. Never finished a whole set until I got a paper route and part time job at 15 and could afford to buy as many as I wanted. In 1990 I hand correlated OPC Score UD and Pro Set Hockey as well UD and Topps baseball. This was probably the peak of my collecting years my small town had 5 different card shops and I would visit each one daily in the summer. By 91 I was done with cards and gave pretty much everything away. Over the years I would buy the odd random pack here and there just to see what the new stuff looked like but never kept anything. In 2007 I bought a blaster box at wal mart and pulled a Bobby Ryan young gun, a player who happened to star for my home town OHL team. Loved the card and was happy to have a ryan rookie. Had talked to him several times while he was here and he was a great kid. Also played in our city's slo pitch league in the summer which was cool. At the time I thought it would be the only Ryan card I would want but that quickly changed :) Within a year and after my first expo visit I was 100% back into the hobby. For my first 3 years I focused solely on ryan. As a kid I was always a gretzky/oiler fan so I decided to start collecting all the 80's OPC Gretzky's. Once that was done I went after all the oilers, then all the goalies and then just kept going until I had all 10 OPC sets from the 80's. When that was done I started going after all the sticker books, all the time while still chasing every ryan I could get my hand on. These 2 remained my main focus until 2011 when my home town Owen Sound Attack won the OHL Championship. As a season ticket holder I got to experience this amazing season first hand. Although the team was loaded with great players I chose Joey Hishon and Andrew Shaw to start collecting. The following year my son started coming to the games and his favorite player was Mike Halmo so now I PC him too :) Thats where I am at today, I am sure it will change again over time, but new collecting challenges are what make the hobby fun
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast