Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @kin_kinsley See wvu_class_of_2001's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The future - how do we get kids into the hobby?

My friend wrote a blog post and it was about his first "purchase" for his son. It got me thinking about writing one about how do we, whether collectors or the card companies (though we can't control them), get kids interested in the hobby? Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Giveaways, donations, etc.

Two years ago or so we had a street sale, so everyone had a garage sale set up. I always toss out some cards or pucks, nothing crazy normally local Rookies/Autos, or star players. Some little kid around 6 maybe 7 years old wanted some Crosby insert and I think a Myers Rookie...his dad didn't want to buy it for him and I said hey bud, why don't you keep these? The smile on that kids face is enough to know he's going to enjoy some cards and sometimes that's all it takes is a little kickstart

Also - someone on another site is using cards as an incentive sort of thing. Do something good, get some cards/packs, etc. Others have also mentioned to use them as learning tools (counting, sorting, etc.)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

Give cards away to my kids and their friends. My one son, his friend loves Crosby and the Penguins so every time he has a sleepover I scrounge up some cards for him. Also thinking about giving some base or inserts away at Halloween.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Always give free cards to kids at shows.
    Or if they want to buy nicer cards usually give them cheaper if they are really interested.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 519waf's Items on eBay

Bring back McDonalds cards. Put a free pack in the happy meal combo. Get the kids hooked and asking to buy more packs like they had back in the day when you could purchase 5 packs with every drink or fry purchase. Should lead to future collectors when they can purchase boxes with their own monies. Might even get a parent or to back into the hobby.
    Looking for D. Keon, T. Horton, P Henderson Leaf rookies

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Bring back McDonalds cards. Put a free pack in the happy meal combo. Get the kids hooked and asking to buy more packs like they had back in the day when you could purchase 5 packs with every drink or fry purchase. Should lead to future collectors when they can purchase boxes with their own monies. Might even get a parent or to back into the hobby.

I remember those from a few years ago. Cheap, fun to break (Usually just the Stars get inserted), and you get some food too! Best way to get the kids into the hobby.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have a five year old son and here's what I do...

Whenever I'm buying cards for a bigger break with my friends I'll buy something for him too that will take some time to sort and most of all I buy something he wants. So I collect hockSince I want him to want my collection some day.

I also put him on my lap or on a chair right next to me so we open together. Kids like when their parents are with them. And maybe in the future he will get the cozy feeling remembering that he and his dad had some great times opening packs and spending time with their friends.

When I'm sorting my stuff he's sorting his. He has all the same stuff as me so he can easily take his album and put the cards in their pockets. I let him sort the way he want even though some cards are damaged by the rough style(which is hard for a picky collector like me).

A lot of times when I have people coming over he wants to show his album and our friends are always amazed.

This has also been a way for him to learn names, colors, numbers. So if I practice this the right way he will love cards forever and also be learning at the same time.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (48)
    Country
    Boston Bruins

Well I agree with all of the posts that I have read on this thread and my Wife and I had a huge yard sale and we did grab bags for the kids and stuck in lots of star players so when the kid opened the package their eyes lit up with delight. Also bring back certain brands like collectors choice and victory and why not have the card company stick in a nicer card from another brand oh and bring back the gum too.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I give away cards at Halloween, instead of candy. The kids like it because it is the only "different" thing they get. Their parents like it because its less candy their kids are getting. I started about 6 or 7 years ago, and I get parents who have since moved away, drive their kids to my house because their kids ask.

I started just filling up team set bags with old commons to get them out of my house. I usually grab piles of different sports and put some of everything in each bag. Then I started tossing in small inserts that were of no interest/use to me. Then I got a better idea: I am a Caps season ticket holder and have no problem getting Caps autographs, so I have a ton of Caps autos laying around. So I started inserting a Caps autographed card in every fourth or fifth pack. I also look for cheap boxes of lower end stuff that you can pick up at shows for cheap (half-price retail blasters, etc.) So now I include a pack or two of recent stuff with each team bag to give them the thrill of opening up something.

It all costs me a little more than I would pay in just candy, but I can afford it. If you just give away your commons that you would normally just throw in a box, all it would cost you is the price of the team bags, so you can do it cheap if you want. I make decent money and don't have kids, so I don't care about the cost. If it creates one or two card collectors along the way sometime and he buys a card off me, then I come out ahead. If not, hey, at least I have fun doing it. And isn't that what collecting is all about? Certainly more fun than just throwing candy into some kids' bags and contributing to their childhood obesity problems...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (48)
    Country
    Boston Bruins

Sounds like a great idea and much healthier.

I give away cards at Halloween, instead of candy. The kids like it because it is the only "different" thing they get. Their parents like it because its less candy their kids are getting. I started about 6 or 7 years ago, and I get parents who have since moved away, drive their kids to my house because their kids ask.

I started just filling up team set bags with old commons to get them out of my house. I usually grab piles of different sports and put some of everything in each bag. Then I started tossing in small inserts that were of no interest/use to me. Then I got a better idea: I am a Caps season ticket holder and have no problem getting Caps autographs, so I have a ton of Caps autos laying around. So I started inserting a Caps autographed card in every fourth or fifth pack. I also look for cheap boxes of lower end stuff that you can pick up at shows for cheap (half-price retail blasters, etc.) So now I include a pack or two of recent stuff with each team bag to give them the thrill of opening up something.

It all costs me a little more than I would pay in just candy, but I can afford it. If you just give away your commons that you would normally just throw in a box, all it would cost you is the price of the team bags, so you can do it cheap if you want. I make decent money and don't have kids, so I don't care about the cost. If it creates one or two card collectors along the way sometime and he buys a card off me, then I come out ahead. If not, hey, at least I have fun doing it. And isn't that what collecting is all about? Certainly more fun than just throwing candy into some kids' bags and contributing to their childhood obesity problems...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast