Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I actually thought it was cool that Rob Zepp had a YG in series 2 this year.

Same here. Does it throw off the whole "Young Guns" set name? Of course it does. But it won't happen every single year, with every single Young Guns rookie card, so I'll let it slide. It's a neat little thing that UD does to players who make there mark a little late in their careers, and I have no problem with that. If I made the NHL, even for just 1 or 2 games, I'd be stoked to get a Young Guns rookie. It may not please some collectors, but, again, I see no problem with it.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (48)
    Country
    Boston Bruins

Yes and I bought 4 packs and pulled Zepps YG

Same here. Does it throw off the whole "Young Guns" set name? Of course it does. But it won't happen every single year, with every single Young Guns rookie card, so I'll let it slide. It's a neat little thing that UD does to players who make there mark a little late in their careers, and I have no problem with that. If I made the NHL, even for just 1 or 2 games, I'd be stoked to get a Young Guns rookie. It may not please some collectors, but, again, I see no problem with it.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Yes and I bought 4 packs and pulled Zepps YG

NICE!!

I love Rob Zepp's story. He played a long time and never gave up on his dream of one day playing in the NHL. It is great to see his hard work pay off and finally be recognized in the hobby.

My opinion is that the hobby is geared towards profit and loss for card companies and many collectors.

Collecting should be fun for everyone and these days, prices of boxes/packs are a mitigating factor when trying to bring a new generation into the hobby.

There are also too many products available that parents simply cannot afford to buy. The other issue is that there is very little in the box you buy to warrant the price you pay.

If it is affordable, the fun comes back and children will try it and will experience the joy we have.

SCF Rewards
    Country

NICE!!

I love Rob Zepp's story. He played a long time and never gave up on his dream of one day playing in the NHL. It is great to see his hard work pay off and finally be recognized in the hobby.

My opinion is that the hobby is geared towards profit and loss for card companies and many collectors.

Collecting should be fun for everyone and these days, prices of boxes/packs are a mitigating factor when trying to bring a new generation into the hobby.

There are also too many products available that parents simply cannot afford to buy. The other issue is that there is very little in the box you buy to warrant the price you pay.

If it is affordable, the fun comes back and children will try it and will experience the joy we have.

I think we're pretty much beyond the point of no return on this. Even the kids, much like adult collectors, are looking for the 'big hit' in every pack. Base cards/commons are tossed aside. I don't see entry level brands like Victory or Collectors Choice coming back.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I think we're pretty much beyond the point of no return on this. Even the kids, much like adult collectors, are looking for the 'big hit' in every pack. Base cards/commons are tossed aside. I don't see entry level brands like Victory or Collectors Choice coming back.

That's because the parents of said children only care about "value" and pass on the "profit/loss" crap to the next generation.

SCF Rewards
    Country

kids/teens/adults only care about the next hit/high/™™™™/drink/etc.

Just how life works...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bigguyscanada's Items on eBay

I hate to say it, but there is probably no way to get younger people involved. It's just the way evolution goes.

Two examples I can think of off hand:

Juke Boxes (For people who grew up in the 50's/60's)
    Classic Cars (For people who grew up in the 60's/70's)

My old man collected jukeboxes and in the 1990's and up to about 2005 or so, they were super hot collectables. Everyone wanted them. I guess this was because people were retiring and wanted to "reminisce" about their fond memories. But now, they have dropped in price. You'd think it would go the other way, but no. Same thing with classic cars, they hit their peak and are now floundering. None of the younger generation cares.

The 90's was the major boom for hockey cards... but unfortunately, as the younger generation dig out their cards, they come on here to find out that they are "worthless". And so they leave, demoralized.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I hate to say it, but there is probably no way to get younger people involved. It's just the way evolution goes.

My old man collected jukeboxes and in the 1990's and up to about 2005 or so, they were super hot collectables. Everyone wanted them. I guess this was because people were retiring and wanted to "reminisce" about their fond memories. But now, they have dropped in price. You'd think it would go the other way, but no. Same thing with classic cars, they hit their peak and are now floundering. None of the younger generation cares.

The 90's was the major boom for hockey cards... but unfortunately, as the younger generation dig out their cards, they come on here to find out that they are "worthless". And so they leave, demoralized.

Same for hobbies like coins, stamps, and model trains, its mainly an older demographic that participates. Just not exciting enough for today's kids.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

This is a pretty good point right here...a lot of people outside of the hobby don't really know the values of stuff and they come here and find out things they thought could be worth a lot of money are actually a dime a dozen. A good example of this is a Hasek RC, which a lot of people around here think would be very valuable, when in reality it is next to worthless. I think that has a lot to do with it

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

I give out team bags of cards on Halloween as well as put together packs of cards for my wife to bring to school. She's a teacher and occasionally gives out prizes to kids who help out in class and whatnot, and they go APE when she comes in with cards. Even the hell raisers in the class suck up when they find out she has cards lol. I even throw in a low end auto or jersey card now and then. They're not worth the effort of selling and the kids go crazy when they get one so its a much better way to get decent cards out there and into kids hands. Hopefully some of them take up the hobby.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast