Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (53)
    Country

That's not the whole story.

Brett Hull was always an arrogant guy from the start of his career, and he proved it time and time again. In 1986, he wanted to play for team Canada at the IIHF world cup. The coach chose to go with experienced NHL players instead (Brett Hull wasn't an NHL player then). So what did Brett Hull do? He joined Team USA, and then spent the next 16 years playing for them trying to make "Canada pay" for turning him away. He could have just played for team Canada, but he held a grudge all those years. It was nothing to do with loyalty, it was everything to do with him not wanting to wait his turn to play in the world cup and pay his dues. He was like that his whole career. A lazy player, never back checking, never doing the hard work, poor worth ethic in general, not a team player, etc. He has said time and time again how much he "hates hockey" and how he never even wanted to play in the NHL. Don't think that his decision to not play for Canada was Canada's fault. Again, he should never have been offered the 1986 spot. It would be like saying that it was the Quebec Nordiques fault for drafting Eric Lindros because he warned them ahead of time he would never play for them.

..... uh....... wait........ I mean, he's awesome! Best player since Grets!!! one of a kind!.... so who wants to buy a card? :D

He scored over 700 goals. He didn't get paid to back check or do hard work.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

+1 from me.

It's a similar argument that I have had for a while with Leaf fans, regarding Phil Kessel. He has (or in the case of Hull, had) and elite talent for scoring goals. The rest of the game doesn't matter when you're that good at goal scoring.

My favorite Brett Hull story was when he was being coached by Ken Hitchcock. Hitch is ripping into him for not back-checking, not grinding it out hard enough.

"You don't pay me to back-check. You pay me to score" says Hull
    "Your scoring doesn't win us games, my systems do. You'd better follow them" counters Hitchcock.

Next practice, doing some kind of drill that ends with a Hull breakaway on Eddie Belfour..... he winds up, and blasts a shot into the corner.

"What the heck was that?!?!?" Screams Hitchcock
    "My goals don't win us games, so why should I practice them? "

(none of that is direct quotes, but the general idea of the conversations)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Tell that to all the Ovechkin haters...

SCF Rewards
    Country

+1 from me.

It's a similar argument that I have had for a while with Leaf fans, regarding Phil Kessel. He has (or in the case of Hull, had) and elite talent for scoring goals. The rest of the game doesn't matter when you're that good at goal scoring.

My favorite Brett Hull story was when he was being coached by Ken Hitchcock. Hitch is ripping into him for not back-checking, not grinding it out hard enough.

"You don't pay me to back-check. You pay me to score" says Hull
    "Your scoring doesn't win us games, my systems do. You'd better follow them" counters Hitchcock.

Next practice, doing some kind of drill that ends with a Hull breakaway on Eddie Belfour..... he winds up, and blasts a shot into the corner.

"What the heck was that?!?!?" Screams Hitchcock
    "My goals don't win us games, so why should I practice them? "

(none of that is direct quotes, but the general idea of the conversations)

If this is true it is an awesome story.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

Great story! Hull was cool during his brief tenure here in Phx, did some community stuff, etc. I always figured any attitude was from a) being a MASSIVE goal-scoring talent and b) being ignored by Bobby most of his childhood and having to watch Mom (or was that Step-Mom?) get smacked around when Bobby was drunk.

That said, if you can get $200 for that card, DO IT! I can't see much of a higher ceiling for that in the future.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jbogdan21's Items on eBay

This has been a great thread. So did you sell the card?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dmaksymyshyn's Items on eBay

His foot was in the crease, sell it.

And he continues to troll us Sabres fans regarding this....sell it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bigguyscanada's Items on eBay

This has been a great thread. So did you sell the card?

Yes I decided to keep it listed for sale, so it's got 48 hours left on ebay. It's at $150~ US right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-92-NHL-Upper-Deck-Brett-Hull-Auto-1784-2500-10-Hockey-Heroes-set-/291524485633

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

Finished right about $206 USD - I think you did well!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bigguyscanada's Items on eBay

Finished right about $206 USD - I think you did well!

I figured it would go for that. Yep, just about right. I will miss it... but .... it's Brett Hull so it stings less :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12