Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Getting IP Autos for resale

Was at an NHL training camp recently and saw a bunch of folks gathered around the player entrance / exits. Many were asking for autographs. Lots of kids, some older people. One young player was being very generous and hung out for quite a while signing cards, photos, etc... Things changed when he got to one guy who handed him several 8x10 photos. He asked the "fan" what his name was and the conversation went like this:

Player: What's your name?
    Guy: Derrick, but don't personalize the autos.
    Player: Why not? Are you going to sell them?
    Guy: Why do you care? Just sign them!
    Player (loudly with bravado): To Derrick, Thanks for the fruit basket. Your pal [name].

Needless to say we all had a good laugh as Derrick stormed off.

I like getting IP autos from time to time. I do it for my collection, because I'm a fan of the player and I think it's great that many NHLers take the time to sign for fans. I totally understand why they might get upset with people who are only looking to make money off their autos and was glad to see this player take a stand, while at the same time doing in a light-hearted way.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country

who is this player you are talking about? i will start collecting him now lol

BANNED

Country
    See Cardcaptain91's Items on eBay

derrick pouliot?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

No... Derrick was the auto-hounds name. Not the player.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

When I first met Darryl Sittler and Lanny McDonald at Darryl's house after his daughters wedding reception he asked if my cousin and I were going to sell the autographs that I asked for. I said no and explained that both he and I are huge collectors and I wouldn't sell an IP auto anyways. I'm sure he was half-joking, and which ones to personalize or not personalize, if any, but I completely understand where he (or any other player) are coming from.

I wouldn't want to sign for someone if they are just going to sell it. I would sign for a fan at any time.

I received an auto'd Toronto Maple Leafs hat by Darryl for my father, an auto'd Calgary hat by Lanny for myself. An auto of ITG 100 Years of Collecting Darryl Sittler (he says 'Oh, I haven't seen this one before', an auto'd Motown Madness Team mates Sittler (hoping for an Yzerman auto one day), an auto'd ITG Captain C Jersey McDonald (Toronto), an auto'd Panini Molson Stanley Cup Banners Calgary '89 Mcdonald and also received a... 6x4 (just a guess) picture of Lanny with Toronto personalized to me.

But if you're in the business to sell IP autos you have to be a little more cut-throat than that 'Derrick' guy and learn what to say when asked a question like that lol

Just wanted to add;

I have been seeing on TV for years now where celebrities or whatever will ask if they are going to sell their autograph on eBay. It obviously is a huge business and was capitalized on by some many years ago. I am well aware that this must be true which is why I would never try to sell an IP auto. Especially an IP auto that I did not get in person. I also wouldn't pay a dollar for an IP auto that's not authenticated.
    Last edited by Cunnuc; 08-09-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

I would kill to get a "thanks for the fruit basket" auto :D

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

When I was about 16 (many years ago) I collected IP autos for a LCS to sell. The owner had been banned from the arena apparently. It was back when the Senators still played at the Civic Centre, so both teams had to walk right through the front door for practice/games. It was nice pocket money, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I do understand why a player may be opposed to the idea, though. I kept a lot for myself as well. A little trick the LCS owner taught me, if a player personalized your 8x10, a little nail polish remover gets that pesky name right outta there. Nowadays, however, since any and all IP autos are for keeps, I prefer them personalized. And I agree, a "thanks for the fruit basket" would be awesome!

SCF Rewards
    Country

When I was about 16 (many years ago) I collected IP autos for a LCS to sell. The owner had been banned from the arena apparently. It was back when the Senators still played at the Civic Centre, so both teams had to walk right through the front door for practice/games. It was nice pocket money, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I do understand why a player may be opposed to the idea, though. I kept a lot for myself as well. A little trick the LCS owner taught me, if a player personalized your 8x10, a little nail polish remover gets that pesky name right outta there. Nowadays, however, since any and all IP autos are for keeps, I prefer them personalized. And I agree, a "thanks for the fruit basket" would be awesome!

That seems like a pretty slimy person you were working with/for. I see it as being similar to if I were doing a good deed for someone, and they chose to try and profit off of it. Sure, it doesn't necessarily hurt me, but it would certainly sour my view of the general public, which would unfortunately mostly affect the good people who just want the pleasure of meeting their favourite player.

Some people seem to have the perception that athletes owe them something.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

This is a great story. I personally would never try and sell any of my autos for a profit. As a collector who started as a kid, this stuff isn't for me. That's not what the hobby should be about. A small part, yes, but the entire hobby shouldn't be revolving around the almighty dollar, at least not 24/7.

I do understand the flip side, though. If sone one wants to profit off of some 8x10's, pucks, etc, they have every right to do so, that's their decision. But that being said I do think there is a line that should not be crossed. That's why these autograph "hounds" walk a thin line with me sometimes. As a collector, I can appreciate their place in the hobby to some extent, but the athlete themselves, as well-paid as they might be, deserve some respect as well. They aren't autograph machines running at the "hounds" every need.

Anyway, just my two cents on the matter... Great topic. :)
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

That seems like a pretty slimy person you were working with/for. I see it as being similar to if I were doing a good deed for someone, and they chose to try and profit off of it. Sure, it doesn't necessarily hurt me, but it would certainly sour my view of the general public, which would unfortunately mostly affect the good people who just want the pleasure of meeting their favourite player.

Some people seem to have the perception that athletes owe them something.

Yeah, they haven't been in business for some time now. Again, I don't see a problem with someone acquiring a few autos to sell. But, there are lines you don't cross. You have to be respectful to the player. You can't EXPECT them to just oblige. And those guys that push and shove kids out of the way...I have no time for that. Show some class.

In a way though, it is really no different than what UD does. The only difference is the NHLPA makes the players do it. And whatever amount they are paid for signing hundreds of stickers each year...I'm sure if they had the choice they would rather not do it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast