Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Question for the Group

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question for the Group

Hi everyone

I have a question that I'm I'd love to hear some opinions on.

I am a couple of cards away from a 15-16 OPC Master set, 1-618. Yes, all 600 base with the 18 SSP's that are numbered as a part of the set.

If you were going to list that set on eBay or sell it, what do you think a fair listing price is? I'm thinking about $450-$600, given that the SSP's themselves seem to average $25 each on eBay, some pushing $40.

Any thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Country

The problem with sets, is you'll never get back what you put into them. The day of the set collector is almost gone, hence all the 1 pack products.

I can almost guarantee that no one is looking for the entire set right now. Sure, there may be many people building the set, but looking to go from 0% to 100% is basically non existent.

Lets say you paid $25 for each of those 18 SSPs. Again, I think it would be impossible to find someone willing to buy all 18 from you. Sure, I can see you moving them for $25 - $30 a card ...... but to move them all you would have to find someone needing about half for his set .... with the potential for him to turn the other 8 into profit.

I know there are some crazy OPC guys .... but crazy in the way that they will bust 10+ cases, trade doubles with others who do the same thing and make their set. After that, it is basically a dead brand in the hobby.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've actually been lucky and stumbled into some very cheap boxes, and gotten some of the SSPs well below book value (thinking the person selling on them on eBay didn't know what they had). I know the Gretzky & 3 Prices seem to be the harder ones to find. I'll either build it and then try to get some $$ back or then just list the SSPs. I know one of the shops around here threw out the $450-$600 number of what he might be willing to pay, just so he can get his hands on the SSPs.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

I agree that there would be little demand for the whole shebang 1-618 unless priced low enough that the buyer would essentially be getting 1-600 for little more than the cost of shipping. So, I would always separate the SSP from the main set, either as individual cards (probably best) or as it's own subset.

If you're not in too much need of $$, this sounds like a nice start to making a true Master, with all inserts, etc. It's a huge challenge and would definitely cost more than you could sell it for, but would definitely keep you busy for a while!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I've actually been lucky and stumbled into some very cheap boxes, and gotten some of the SSPs well below book value (thinking the person selling on them on eBay didn't know what they had). I know the Gretzky & 3 Prices seem to be the harder ones to find. I'll either build it and then try to get some $$ back or then just list the SSPs. I know one of the shops around here threw out the $450-$600 number of what he might be willing to pay, just so he can get his hands on the SSPs.

Oh the Price is easy enough to find (though the Hart seems to be in short supply) but you're gonna pay. Oh how I'm gonna pay. LOL
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

You're basically going to be selling to someone who will flip the set as singles (or at least, SSP's as singles and then a full base set sale)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The problem with selling sets is this.....

Who wants a complete set of 15-16 OPC? I think the answer is "lots of people"

Who wants a complete set of 15-16 OPC, and has not bought any? I think the answer is "not many people"

Sets aren't what they used to be. I still like building them too, but they're not a huge deal anymore.

If you're going to sell it - it's either to someone that wants to break it up for singles, or someone who has decided they want to buy that whole set. Either way, I'd expect that buyer to expect a "bulk" discount on the cards.

I have not purchased OPC in years though, so not really sure how to even guess on an actual price.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Just the shipping cost alone on that would be astronomical, would it not?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Coyotes Buffalo Sabres Tampa Bay Rays
    See hunngarr's Items on eBay

15-16 OPC Master set, 1-618. Yes, all 600 base with the 18 SSP's that are numbered as a part of the set.

If you do end up selling it, be careful regarding your terminology. What you describe would be a Complete set. Typically a Master set includes all the parallels and can also include all inserts and parallels.