Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Cool 1999-00 Bowman's Best: Birthday Box Break!

I had my birthday on November 9. I got a gift from a relative for $100, spotted a box online of this fine and now quite hard-to-find product for $79 plus shipping, and purchased. I figured I'd get at least an atomic refractor for my PC out of the gift, and perhaps a near-complete, nice old-school-higher-end set.

Got all that and more!

First of all, let me say Topps did a remarkable job with the Bowman's Best product, and perhaps this year especially. A full box break yields a near-complete, well-collated set, a comprehensive paper checklist to make keeping track of your set completion easier, a variety of well-designed inserts (all have the refractor technology, which could be criticized as overkill, but they look amazing), some "hot packs" (the bottom of the box in particular had some packs with multiple hits), and a card stock that has held up beautifully over time - no sticking, and this is 15+ years later, sitting together all that time. Nicely done, Topps! Splendid set.

My only criticism is that, at one rookie per pack, you are bound to have too many dud rookies - especially in such a small set (133 cards). 33 rookies are in this set, including guys almost no one remembers (who on Earth is DeMarco Johnson!?). Topps was somewhat fortunate that 1999 was a deep class, although depth at the expense of true superstardom (that is, so many good players, but few great ones - guys like Lamar Odom, Baron Davis, Shawn Marion, Elton Brand, Steve Francis, Jason Terry, Richard Hamilton, and Wally Szczerbiak).

All right; enough commentary. What did I pull?

So I didn't get any of the rare autos, but all of my regular refractors were of quality players: Elton Brand, Gary Payton, and Paul Pierce. My atomic was merely Lindsey Hunter, but I'll take it.

Inserts were pretty nice; got the lottery class photo, which is one in three or four boxes.

Wrapping it up:

Just looking at the care Topps put into this set, it makes a lot of our nostalgia for this era of the hobby justified. I think we can go overboard in our Panini bashing, and we forget some of the less-than-great stuff that Fleer, Topps, and UD put out - but you look again at this kind of stuff at least, and ... well, Panini doesn't make stuff like this, and it's regrettable.

All inserts and refractors for trade except the Hunter since I PC all the atomic versions.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (5) Sports Card Freaks
    Country
    See andyg2350's Items on eBay

Very cool break. The atomic refractor must look great in hand. Good to see some die-cuts that go well with the design.

Add Corey Maggette into that list of draftees. It was a really nice draft, not strong, but not so weak either.

Thank you for sharing your break and happy belated birthday!

SCF Rewards
    Country

love seeing older product being broken, and happy birthday :) thanks for sharing!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Happy belated birthday! Just celebrated on the 10th. I am interseted in trading for your Grant Hill
    looking for Robert Parish and John Norlander! For trade Hidden Content PASSWORD: myfriendonly

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks, everyone!

mrwjcruckus, saw a few things in your Bucket. Anything you'd part with there for the Hill?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Go ahead and let me know what you like

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Metta World Peace gu
    Chris Bosh Prestige #ed parallel
    Bradley Beal Prestige #ed parallel
    Monta Ellis gu
    Stuckey Finest rc
    Rodman Red Crusade
    Rodman Showcase #ed

SCF Rewards
    Country

What are you thinking for the Hill and Duncan/Gervin together?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Duncan/Gervin gone already

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do you have any Robert Parish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast