Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Thoughts on the season so far

So it's 2016 now, and we're a little over one-third of the way into the NBA season. What are some of the more interesting developments you've been noticing? What are some of your predictions for how the rest of the season will roll out?

Some of my thoughts:

1) I'm surprised at how competitive the East is. The West has been dominant for so long that it's nice to see a change. The Pistons are a half-game out of #8 in the East right now, but they would be #6 in the West. And there are only three teams in the East below .400, but there are six in the West. The Cavs are still the conference leader, and now that they are fully healthy, I don't expect that to change, but there are a lot of teams in the East still worth watching for fun.

2) All that said in #1, the two best teams are still in the West: Warriors and Spurs. And the Warriors are still unbelievable, so long as Curry is healthy. Barring an injury to him, I don't see how anyone could argue against a repeat. They are too deep and too well-coached for either the Cavs or Spurs or anyone else to take them, IMO.

3) Rookie class has lived up to the hype so far (more than I can say for Wiggins/Parker last year). KAT and Porzingis are going to be a force; I'm amazed at their production already. I still like Okafor, but he will obviously need time to mature and learn more of the game beyond his polished post moves. Russell of the Lakers at times has looked great, but he will need to become more consistent. Any other rooks who have caught your attention?

4) The Atlanta Hawks' neon green/yellow lettering on their uniforms is vile. Absolutely vile. That's my random observation of the year.

What are some of your thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines

I am with you that it is good to see the East competitive after being doormats for so long. I think the Cavs have the easiest way to the finals with the Warriors and Spurs fighting it out in the West. I do not see the Warriors beating the Bulls record as I see them resting down the stretch.

I think Porzingis has done better than expected. I like Mudiay he was just getting his turnovers under control when he got hurt. I think Russell will do better next year when Kobe retires. He needs on the court more.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

I must admit, I was completely wrong about Porzingis. I remember seeing clips of him and being very unimpressed. I was in agreement with those on Draft Day who were upset with the pick and thought he was going to be a bust. However, seeing him as a pro now, he is highly skilled, mobile, and has a great feel for the game.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just two things need to be said about the season so far in my opinion. The Warriors for being lights out historically good and the Spurs for being so good for being "old". Both are just tearing up the league right now and nobody else seems to really matter.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (5) Sports Card Freaks
    Country
    See andyg2350's Items on eBay

Apart from the Sixers (who have improved since trading for Ish Smith) the East teams have closed the gap between them and the West teams. Cavaliers still look like they'll cruise through though.

It's crazy to think that we're almost halfway through and the Warriors have only dropped 2 games. Still early but the Bulls record gets closer everyday. Speaking of the Warriors, Draymond Green has been on fire lately. Back to back triple doubles and I believe he has a couple more for the season?

Spurs are just doing what the Spurs do.

It will be interesting to see if any major moves occur at the trade deadline.

In terms of rookies, KAT is the clear favourite for ROY. He already looks like a polished NBA player, much like Jabari was supposed to be last season. Okafor and Porzingis both started the season really well too but have declined the last couple of weeks. Not sure what I think of Russell. Mudiay and Hezonja both have questions marks, one due to injury and the other a lack of playing time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If they do manage to top the Bulls 72-10 record it'll mean nothing anyway because the league is much much softer than the 90's. If Dennis Rodman played today he could of easily averaged 25 rpg.

Spurs are having a quiet yet monster year yet again. Look for them take it up a couple of notches come playoff time.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmmintz's Items on eBay

I really don't see how Golden State doesn't beat the Bulls record. Right now, they've lost one game for every 16 wins (32-2). For them to just tie the record they'd need to go 40-8 down the stretch, losing one of every five. I don't see that much of a drop-off going forward, even if they start to rest players.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (5) Sports Card Freaks
    Country
    See andyg2350's Items on eBay

Health is the key. They were fine when Bogut and Barnes missed a few games but we saw them struggle without Klay and especially Curry. If they stay healthy the rest of the season then that record could be matched or broken.

It's funny, a year or so ago we thought the Bulls record may never be broken. Now that a team has a chance of doing that, all of a sudden the league is soft.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Spurs are only surprisingly three games behind GS. I'll be more worried about injuries than the record for GS. On another note, Jordan did what he did in the age of hand checking and getting hammered inside. I can't imagine the points he'd be scoring if he wasn't allowed to be touched. I fear Curry would get hurt in a quarter.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If the Warriors break the wins record they break it and the record is legit. But don't tell me the league isn't watered down with extra teams and guys who should still be in college.

On a side note who would that Bulls team lose to if they were playing now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast