Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Connor McDavid

SCF Rewards
    Country

Connor McDavid

So can anyone tell me if I ruined the value of my Connor McDavid young guns cards by having him sign them both? Also since they are the first to authenticated by JSA and graded by Beckett. Just asking cause some card deal said I did. Don't really care cause how often to you get to meet players.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I don't think you "ruined" the card by any means. But that's just my personal opinion.

The Young Guns RC is still a Young Guns RC, auto'd or not. Now, since the McDavid frenzy is in full force I don't think you'd have too much trouble finding a buyer (If you want to go that route), but just keep in mind some collectors (Not All) will want certified autos that 100% come from Upper Deck releases. You said your autos are authenticated by JSA & Graded by Beckett, and that's all well and good, but some collectors will still want a UD guarantee that it was signed by McDavid.

From the sound of things, your auto sounds legit and that's awesome, but over the internet people (Buyers, mainly) will often have their doubts and that's understandable considering all the Fake patching, forging, etc, etc, that go on in this hobby. It's the sad truth. So buyers will often pay a premium for UD McDavid autos for the sake of gaining a sweet card BUT also gaining the piece of mind knowing their card is legit.

Also, and I'm not sure about other sports, but hockey collectors are picky about rookie cards. For example, Crosby's RPA /87 goes for less than his RPA /99 due to the fact that the /99 is a "True" rookie card, untouched by any slight differences such as some added gold foil and different print run.

Anyways, my point is that when you're dealing with any type of rookie card (auto'd or not), some collectors will prefer it in their "Truest" form, unaltered from when it was first printed during production, the "staple" rookie card we all see and recognize, otherwise, let's say in your case with a McDavid YG, they may deem an IP auto'd YG as a card not in it's 'truest' form, since a auto not certified by UD is now on the YG Rookie. Also, when you're dealing with a YG (Arguably the most recognizable, sought after, and marketed rookie card for any player, especially the stars) you may get collectors who back away completely or not pay a premium for an In-Person Auto. It may sound silly at first glance, but that's the way it goes, especially for the veterans in the hobby world. They like what they like, and it'd hard to change their minds. These are some of the collecting "unwritten rules" that are in any hobby, just like the the one about getting a 1/1 graded, as some collectors find this to be a waste of time, since it's the only copy anyways, why slab it. Anyways... I'm getting off topic. Moving on........ :)

I'm not saying it won't sell, and I very much think it will sell eventually. But just go in with realistic expectations:
    You won't be making a fortune off this card (With the right buyer, good money no doubt) and respect the process as it may take a tinnnny bit more time to find the right buyer. Maybe it will sell day 1, depending on the pool of interested buyers.

Hope this rant made sense. If you have any questions please reach out :)

Edit: When we can, can we see some pictures/scans of the signed McDavid Young Gun ?? Should be one AWESOME looking card, and I would personally love to see one! Great question by the way.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

If you are keeping it for your personal collection, I think it's an awesome piece now and you will cherish it forever. If you are looking to sell/trade it, you may have a more difficult time, as the previous poster went into detail about.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Let's see a photo of this!
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

"ruined" the value is going over the top, IMO.

Here's the thing though. If you're looking at moving this down the road, what are people going to be looking for?

If they're building a 2015-16 Upper Deck set, they're not going to want your card.
    If they're looking for pack-pulled Auto Rookie, they're not going to be looking for your card
    If they're looking for a Young Guns Rookie Card... because they collect Young Guns Rookie Cards of star players, they're not looking for your card.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have value though, I think it just means the buyer you'd have to find is (likely) a little tougher.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wayne-Gretzk...p2047675.l2557

There's a Gretzky Topps Rookie that's been signed.

Here's a Topps RC, graded 8..... which is pretty darn good for 1979:

http://item.ebay.com/itm/1979-Topps-...p2047675.l2557

Not sure the price on the second one, since it was a best offer. Guess what though? The auto'd version sold for more.

Now, I'm not saying that you should necessarily expect to get a ton of extra value out of it.... but just trying to go with a good example of a star player's rookie, that's signed, and it didn't tank the value.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I agree with Richard on this... Let's see the pics!

Ruined? Nope. Deflated it's value to the public? perhaps, but that is a wide open arguement with many opinions which inturn determines it's value.

Darryl Sittler lives 10 mins from me. Growing up a Toronto fan and having heard stories of people meeting him I was determined to start collecting rarities of him and having them signed. So let's say I have a card /14 of his epic 10 points in one night game and having it signed. It's worth much more to me than the original version but could be considered worthless to others. Did I just turn a /14 card into a /13 increasing the value of those 13 remaining. Yes, of course. Did I turn that /14 card into something more valuable? To me, Yes. To others, no. If it were authenticated then yes, perhaps. It just becomes another signed Sittler of the many out there cause he is a very personable player and signs often for fans.

There are tons of McDavids out there. Tons. This is not a /14 card we're talking about, there could be 5,000 or more of them. Having the IP auto authenticated by a reputable company and also graded by such will increase the value right now. If 1,000 of his cards were IP'd, auth'd and then graded then the overall price would drop dramatically but as it stands right now you have increased the value if not by a little then by a tremendous amount. Even if you don't want to sell this card then it is worth xxx amount of dollars to you and increased the average Young Gun by x amount since you have in turn taken some off the market. You have created a market and helped out another.

If there is a market for IP autos which are auth'd or COA'd then do not let anyone tell you otherwise until the market has been saturated.
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kcfutures9's Items on eBay

I would not say ruined but to me it bothers me when people have cards that were not intended to be signed autographed.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Oh sure. May as well wait for 2016-17 Upper Deck Buy Backs Connor McDavid Autograph and pay $1,100 for it.

There are thousands of his Young Guns on the market right now. Thousands more waiting to hit the market. Who cares if even 100 of them get autographed? It's not like it's rare.

Upper Deck: License to Shill. Coming to an LCS near you!