Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Tim Hortons slammed for ball hockey ads

MONTREAL — In photos, the event seems innocuous, healthy even. Rosy-cheeked children chase a ball around the snow-packed surface at Montreal's Fete des Neiges.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/.../22600009.html

SCF Rewards
    Country

Those fines are not much of a deterrent when you consider they size of those companies. They publicity from that fines itself will generate more then the fines in sales. The corporations will just say it is a cost of doing business. It's a joke to them.

Cheers Mike

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Hmmm, interesting article. As a business student, this was an interesting article to read.

Thanks for posting !
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hmmm, interesting article. As a business student, this was an interesting article to read.

Thanks for posting !

Anytime,
    Check out the one about 111 saves in a game lol.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Those fines are not much of a deterrent when you consider they size of those companies. They publicity from that fines itself will generate more then the fines in sales. The corporations will just say it is a cost of doing business. It's a joke to them.

Cheers Mike

Probably a set limit on the find no matter the size of the company. As you say the publicity is worth the fine.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Butt-hurt interest groups making something out of nothing.... I'm pretty sure even kids don't have a hard time understanding the health factors involved in eating a donut. Heck, what is a donut or two really going to do to that kid? Just don't eat donuts for lunch every day and you're good. People get so up in arms over the most minor stuff, stuff that wouldn't have even been an issue 10 years ago...
    Hey, anti-obesity group, they're advertising for ball hockey, you know, something that keeps kids active.... the irony in this is sweet like a timbit.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I know Quebec legislators want "la belle province" to be distinct but believe me folks, you don't want to be this type of distinct!

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (139)
    Country
    See adamslogikcards's Items on eBay

I think this is a bit overboard and definitely not the most productive way to go about it, but I definitely think that childrens health is an issue that most people aren;t prepared to deal with fully.

What I mean is that unfortunately, some extreme measures may need to be taken.

Most people in North America are WOEFULLY uninformed about what they are eating, and their children are not properly educated about the dangers of unhealthy food.

We all say things like "I'm not an idiot, I know that timbits aren't healthy", but do we really UNDERSTAND just exactly HOW unhealthy.

A sour cream glazed timbit has 4.5 grams of fat and 90 calories, and the average kid will eat 5 or 6 at a time (or more). So for 6 timbits, you get 540 calories and 27 grams of fat... THAT"S MORE FAT AND CALORIES THAN A QUARTER POUNDER WITH CHEESE FROM MCDONALDS.

Let's face it, if this was McDonalds advertising quarter pounders with cheese around the kids, we'd all agree with the fines to prevent it.

The Fact is that as Canadians we have a blind spot for tim hortons. Most of their offerings are no healthier than anyone elses.

Ask a kid, any kid, how much fat is in a timbit and they won't know, neither will their parents, and even if they do, they don't know what that means.

What If I told you that if your 8 year old ate nothing but timbits today, they would only be allowe to eat FOURTEEN before they had reached their total recommended caloric intake for the day? You would be FLOORED.

I don't necessarily agree with these kinds of organizations, but the fact is that as parents we are all ridiculously unprepared and uninformed, so at least someone is trying to shine a light on these issues.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Kale and quinoa for everyone!!!

The food industry has taken the fear monger ball and is running with it.... folks, moderation is the key. Honestly, who cares if your kid eats a timbit or two every now and then. The idea that we're ridiculously unprepared and uninformed is false. We have never been so inundated with (conflicting) information about food and health. The idea that eating more fruits and vegetables than junk food is pretty basic. Don't give in to the fear, just be mindful of making sure you are exercising moderation. If your kid eats pizza twice a day every day, plays on their smartphone and video games while getting little to no physical exercise, and is often picked last in gym class, then yes, you might want to step in and limit that Timbit intake. If your kids get their exercise, eat their vegetables, and aren't overweight, let them enjoy some timbits or a bowl of poutine and don't feel guilty about it.

http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/10/19...ear-mongering/
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 02-07-2016 at 12:28 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Too much of society now is based on the principle of "it's not my fault, blame someone else". You can't honestly tell me that people are unaware that drinking a case of Coca Cola every day is unhealthy, or that athletes don't know that repeated head injuries = bad, or that smoking/drinking/drugs is harmful to your body. It just reminds me of all those stories of people who have a huge phone bill or their kids run up some huge bill in an online game; all they want to do is blame the company rather than take responsibility.

BTW adamslogik, those statistics regarding Timbits aren't shocking at all, seeing as Timbits are baked goods covered in sugar. Things like donuts, timbits, chocolate bars, etc. are to be regarded as a treat, not a meal. If the average kid is eating 5 or 6 at a time, than the average parent needs to smarten up and not give them so much fatty food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast