Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't understand this Kid argument. It always seems to be the last stand of an debate.

Personally I don't care what is technically a true rookie as defined by Beckett.

I don't think the kids care either.

But who knows, I don't have a kid that is old enough to be collecting hockey cards.

Maybe piper1 does and wants their kids to collect all the true rookies in a "low end set"

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

A "Hard-Signed" Auto is where the players autograph is physically signed directly on the card. The other form are "Sticker" Autos, where the player signs a sheet of a bunch of a stickers with their autograph, and then those stickers are placed onto cards.

Example:

Hard Signed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-16-Uppe...MAAOSwYmZXK4JJ

Sticker: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-16-UD-T...cAAOSwampXHTlB

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There are the Marquee rookies in this set that are more than affordable. Kids don't "need" true rookies.

This is truth - the other day I handed my six-year old nephew a team bag full of assorted cards. He didn't complain that there were no true rookies among the parallels, inserts, and base cards.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't understand this Kid argument. It always seems to be the last stand of an debate.

Personally I don't care what is technically a true rookie as defined by Beckett.

I don't think the kids care either.

But who knows, I don't have a kid that is old enough to be collecting hockey cards.

Maybe piper1 does and wants their kids to collect all the true rookies in a "low end set"

And which side of the argument might you be in. The Buy and Sell type that can't be bothered with any collectible that is worth less than $50? Or the group who believes that Upper Deck should only cater to collectors who either have a good paying job or permanently live in their parent's basement? The few kids in the 8 to 14 age range who do come out to our local show would all like collect their favourite player/superstar but unless their father is a doctor they get turned off the idea of collecting hockey cards pretty quick.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

And which side of the argument might you be in. The Buy and Sell type that can't be bothered with any collectible that is worth less than $50? Or the group who believes that Upper Deck should only cater to collectors who either have a good paying job or permanently live in their parent's basement? The few kids in the 8 to 14 age range who do come out to our local show would all like collect their favourite player/superstar but unless their father is a doctor they get turned off the idea of collecting hockey cards pretty quick.

Does it matter what side of the argument I'm in? Honestly, I don't care what UD is perceived to be catering to. I collect the cards I want to collect.

Besides, you are now changing the goalpost of your argument. You were talking about True Rookies. Now you've switched to "favorite player/superstar".
    If they get a McDavid Marquee rookie card from the OPC Platinum set, I think they would be excited. I doubt any of the "kids" will be bummed that it's not a true rookie according to beckett.

I go to my local LCS on trade nights and see a whole bunch of kids there. I take the time to make the low end deals with them.

Being in Calgary, a lot of them want Calgary players. They don't care if it's not a "True" rookie card. They are excited to get a Monahan rookie year card. There isn't an adult in there that goes "don't make that trade, Beckett says it's not a true rookie"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think his argument is that ALL rookies in this set are SPs, so really, technically, there are no "true rookies" because there are no rookie cards in the main set -- they are ALL SPs. Everyone always says that parallels and subsets are not real rookie cards, so how can a card be a "True Rookie" when it's not a real rookie card? Therefore, UD is making it harder for people (kids) who only buy a couple packs at Walmart/Target to acquire any rookie cards. If kids spend $10 to buy three packs of cards and don't get a single rookie, it makes it difficult to build a new generation of collectors.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think his argument is that ALL rookies in this set are SPs, so really, technically, there are no "true rookies" because there are no rookie cards in the main set -- they are ALL SPs. Everyone always says that parallels and subsets are not real rookie cards, so how can a card be a "True Rookie" when it's not a real rookie card? Therefore, UD is making it harder for people (kids) who only buy a couple packs at Walmart/Target to acquire any rookie cards. If kids spend $10 to buy three packs of cards and don't get a single rookie, it makes it difficult to build a new generation of collectors.

ok fair point.

My point is that I don't think the kids care about that as much. I think they would be pretty excited to pull a variation Marquee rookie of McDavid such as a Blue Cubes variation. Is it a real rookie card by definition? No, but I'm trying to say I don't think that matters.

But then again, I don't have a kid old enough to know for sure.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sorry but whats stopping those kids from collecting their favourite player again? There are tons of cheap cards of all players.

I get the feeling from your post that it's YOU that wants to have access to cheap star and RC autos. I mean go into any card shop in any town and there are endless boxes loaded with cards of stars. So what if you - or should i say Little Johhny - can't afford the high end of the market. We aren't going back to the days of all base sets. The good news? You can have all the low grade, base star rookies you want for under 20 bucks. Here are a bunch of Killer rc's to get you started:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...our+rc&_sop=15

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow, lots of different colored parallels of 1 card!! Just like back in the day. I have 1 Cujo card from Pacific I have 8 different versions of the same card just different colors..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123