Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Eichel RC at last...or Fool's gold?

Many of you know I have been on the quest for Jack Eichel's true signed rookie card put out by Superlative. After exhausting all efforts and the inventory literally non-existent, I basically gave up hope. But alas, I noticed over the last couple days there seems to be a new Rookie card with an on-card Eichel signature - "2015 Leaf Q". Do my eyes deceive me or is this as good or even better (autopatch option) than the Superlative Eichel RC?! I need some help from you experts out there to make sure I don't make a mistake here. In addition to your thoughts, some questions I had off the top of my head were:

1) Any idea how many cards are out there? The gold are numbered to 25 but the silver are unnumbered.
    2) This appears to be on-card and not a signature correct (haven't seen with my own eyes yet)?
    3) Are these coming out of the new Leaf Metal packs or a different set?
    4) Will these qualify as true Rookie cards or just as less than ideal inserts?
    5) Finally, if I was willing to spend $600-$750 for the Superlative Eichel, would these be of comparable value long-term? Or are these going to be perceived as a knock-off or second class RC?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

rickiii

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jffoland's Items on eBay

I believe leaf q was pretty limited, but think it was recently released. I'd still go with the superlative if you can find one

SCF Rewards
    Country

Heroes and Prospects will offer an Eichel hard signed Trinity Inscription card and Genesis may offer a hard signed surprise Eichel as well

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would be grabbing these in a heartbeat if they were true rookie cards. The one thing thats throwing me off is the card doesnt have his correct jersey number. Why would they use his scrimmage/preseason number?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I would be grabbing these in a heartbeat if they were true rookie cards. The one thing thats throwing me off is the card doesnt have his correct jersey number. Why would they use his scrimmage/preseason number?

Bolded 3 little words.

Unfortunately per "hobby standards" and most people that collect Rookies, etc will tell you that none of his Leaf cards are "true" Rookie cards because they are not licensed by the NHL/NHLPA. Yes they are Jack Eichel Rookie Year cards, but Beckett, and most of the peeps that collect will tell you they aren't "true" rookies. The term is a BS term but that is how the hobby community views it. No license = no true rookie.

So no matter Superlative, Leaf Q, Leaf Metal, Heroes & Prospects, none of them will be considered "true" rookies by most of the hobby community. But take that term "true" for what you will, each has it's own view of it, just simply stating what the majority would say.

As for why the preseason number, I'm not sure? Maybe they could just find a better photo to use of him wearing 41 in the preseason as opposed to a regular season photo? I have no idea. I know Superlative has him in his Boston jersey, Heroes & Prospects appeared to have him in his USA jersey (with USA GAME USED material which is cool) and there's a variety of other autos of him flying around such as him in a Red Sox jersey throwing out the first pitch at Fenway. A lot of variety out there
    Last edited by geschrocks33; 05-03-2016 at 09:03 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not going to lie, being a Buffalo Sabres fan, that really hurts. I have learned that autographs on true rookie cards are considered the gold standard. If what you are saying is true, and I don't doubt you, then that would imply no such dream card can exist. Combining my fanatical fandom with a decent investment, would it then be better to pursue a non-auto from SP Authentic or The CUP (not sure what cards they'll even produce without autograph being available OR should I stick with my strategy of going after leaf signed cards? I realize there's no easy answer but I don't want to through my money in the wrong direction. Thanks.

rickiii

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'm not going to lie, being a Buffalo Sabres fan, that really hurts. I have learned that autographs on true rookie cards are considered the gold standard. If what you are saying is true, and I don't doubt you, then that would imply no such dream card can exist. Combining my fanatical fandom with a decent investment, would it then be better to pursue a non-auto from SP Authentic or The CUP (not sure what cards they'll even produce without autograph being available OR should I stick with my strategy of going after leaf signed cards? I realize there's no easy answer but I don't want to through my money in the wrong direction. Thanks.

rickiii

I will go with my usual response in this type of situation:

Regardless of what the hobby classifies cards as (true rookie/not true rookie)

Collect what YOU want. If you want an Eichel Autograph from his Rookie Year, go get a Leaf card. Regardless of whether or not it's a "true" rookie card, it's still an authentic Jack Eichel Autograph. So if you want an auto, go get an auto.

If you want to abide by "hobby standards" then get a cool Eichel RC from UD. (SPA, Ultimate, Cup)

It all comes down to what you want.
    Last edited by geschrocks33; 05-03-2016 at 10:46 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey rickiii... just shot you a PM and saw this thread... yeah, it stinks how none of Eichel's autos are technically RC's, but I decided a while ago, to just eff it, and like geschrocks33 said, you just gotta collect what you dig. Chances are, even if he's a HOF someday, none of the cards I'm throwing money at hand and fist will be even worth a shade of what I'm paying for them, so might as well just get what I want and basically to hell with whatever the "hobby" wants to define stuff as.

I'm primarily staying away from Leaf, not so much for the lack of logos, but how they actually have to alter the color of the Sabres uniform as well. They've done a fair enough job (better on some releases than others) of obscuring the crest on the front, but I have a feeling the Team USA stuff coming in H&P will really be worth adding, so I'm keeping an eye out on those.

Other than that, check out the Leaf Q's... they might not hold a ton of future value if you ever wanna resell (who knows?), but if you just want a nice on card "rookie-year" auto... you could do worse than that, I'd think.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm in the camp that doesn't consider these true RC's either but if you like them and the player go for it. If it does turn out that he has a HOF career I'm sure you will see value in any of these first year auto's due to the fact that they are the only auto's you can get for his rookie year.

I'm bummed that there wont be an Eichel SPA FW Auto!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast