Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Celebrating San Jose's First Cup Final With This Legend of the Game!

If you enjoy seeing goaltending stuff similar to this, don't forget to click, "Like" on Bruce C. Goaltending Museum!

Here it is, the newest piece for our museum! Belonging to one of the definite greats of the game, this goaltender requires no introduction anywhere in the hockey world.

Born on February 24, 1963 in Calgary, Alberta, Mike Vernon was a standout prospect in the WHL, drafted 56th overall by Calgary in 1981, and also a Memorial Cup winner in 1983. As a 19 year old, Vernon made his NHL debut on December 12, 1982 against the Detroit Red Wings, stopping 11 of 17 shots in a 7-3 defeat. In that 82-83 season, he appeared in two games and to put it bluntly, did not put up good numbers. He played one additional game with Calgary in 1983-84, though he spent the majority of the season in the CHL and the following season in the AHL. In 1985-86, Vernon managed to get himself into 18 more games, recording a 9-3-3 record with his first career shutout occurring in that stint as well. He played so well, in fact, he had secured the role of starter by the playoffs, eventually leading the Flames to the Stanley Cup Final where they were defeated by Montreal and another rookie goaltender by the name of Patrick Roy. He had taken over the full time starter role in Calgary and continued to play like he deserved the role. 1988-89 marked one of the best years of his career as he not only recorded an amazing 37-6-5 record, he also led the Calgary Flames to their first (and thus far only) Stanley Cup victory in franchise history. He continued to play for the Flames until the end of the 1993-94 season when he was acquired by the Detroit Red Wings. In his first season with Detroit, he once again got his team to the Stanley Cup Final, however, the Red Wings were swept by the Devils. In 1997, he was once again in the Cup Final where he led the Red Wings to a Stanley Cup victory over the Philadelphia Flyers, the second Cup of his career, and fourth Cup Final series of his career. He also won the Conn Smythe Trophy that year as playoff MVP. In the off-season, he was acquired by the San Jose Sharks for draft picks. He played a solid trio of years in San Jose, however, never led them beyond the first round of the playoffs. In the middle of the 1999-00 season, the Panthers acquired him from the Sharks and he played the remainder of the season with them. The team was eventually swept in round one of the playoffs. He was then reacquired by Calgary in the off-season. There, after two final seasons, he retired after the 2001-02 hockey year.

In his NHL career, Vernon appeared in 781 games, recording a 385-273-92 record with 27 shutouts, 39 assists, a 2.98GAA, and a 0.890% save average. In an additional 138 playoff games, he recorded a 77-56 record with six shutouts, five assists, a 2.68GAA, and a 0.896% save average.

The piece you are looking at right now is a game worn, and definitively photomatched Vaughn brand blocker worn by Mike Vernon in the entire 1998-99 NHL season while a member of the San Jose Sharks. Highlights while wearing this include his 20th career shutout, final playoff win, and final playoff assist.

Acquired from: Fellow collector

Dates of Game Use: 1998-99 pre-season, regular season and playoffs

Photomatched: YES

New Member Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manthis02's Items on eBay

sweet pic..
    my new flicker

Hidden Content

- ( IN ROCK WE TRUST )= (ITS ROCK or BUST)-

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I know a couple years ago, Mei Gray had a pair of his GU pads of his for sale. I haven't looked lately to see if they are still there. The Sharks dont sell their stuff to Mei Gray, so they don't have much Sharks stuff, and what thy do have was all after-market, and thus more expensive.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

This blocker is awesome, great timing, too! :)
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sweet piece of Memorabilia!! I hope 1 day I will have something like this of Cujo.. I have a Framed & Auto'd Jersey but would love to get a stick, blocker or glove used by cujo to add to my collection.. Congrats..

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

I know a couple years ago, Mei Gray had a pair of his GU pads of his for sale. I haven't looked lately to see if they are still there. The Sharks dont sell their stuff to Mei Gray, so they don't have much Sharks stuff, and what thy do have was all after-market, and thus more expensive.

They're still up there. And I believe they will still be up there for a looooong time to come.

Sweet piece of Memorabilia!! I hope 1 day I will have something like this of Cujo.. I have a Framed & Auto'd Jersey but would love to get a stick, blocker or glove used by cujo to add to my collection.. Congrats..

You mean, something like this ;D

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

That is just plain awesome, Bruce! ^