Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

World Cup of Hockey Upper Deck Release & Figures

Since it's an NHL/NHLPA event, I wonder if we will see anything from Upper Deck for the World Cup of Hockey.

Would be pretty cool if they did a base set with all the players--though with Auston Matthews & Patrick Laine, how would that work since they wouldn't have actually played an NHL game?

Hopefully UD would also get access to the jerseys, which would make for a great addition. Autographs, I'm guessing would probably be a sticker set unless they were to get studio photos done well in advance to get them on cards and printed for a signing.

Timing would probably have to be essential, though, as I doubt if it took until February or March many people would still have it fresh in their minds...and that probably also would encourage usage of stickers for autos.

Thoughts?
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Even though it is an NHL/NHLPA event they should be able to use Matthews and Laine if they have deals with them. They wouldn't/shouldn't count as rookie cards much like McDavid and others in the recent Team Canada product are not rookies.

I think it is more likely to see it added as enhancement product in sets after they have played their first games. Probably UDS1, SPGU, Black (for a new Pride of a Nation set) and Cup.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

They could do it..... but I thought Team USA license was the thing nobody can secure?

Not sure where UD would be at for the other teams either. They've got a license with Hockey Canada, but do they have Russia, Sweden, Finland, or Czech ??

If I'm team Europe, or Team Young Stars, I'm not selling my national licensing for cheap either :)

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

@30ranfordfan: World Cup is not a IIHF event, so fortunately they don't have to worry about getting those licenses secured for cards. This is the NHL's baby through and through.

If it weren't for Carey being on Team Canada, I would probably be cheering Team Young Stars...I'm that bitter over the exclusion of Subban. LOL

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

So the teams are using their own 'country' themed logos.... and not working with their national bodies? I knew it was an NHL/PA event... but I assumed the respective federations (for the 6 countries) were still involved.

I'm crossing my fingers that Team McDavid defeats Team Kopitar in the finals.

@30ranfordfan: World Cup is not a IIHF event, so fortunately they don't have to worry about getting those licenses secured for cards. This is the NHL's baby through and through.

If it weren't for Carey being on Team Canada, I would probably be cheering Team Young Stars...I'm that bitter over the exclusion of Subban. LOL

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't think a World Cup set would be very popular outside of hard-core collectors. Us crazies here would buy some to get our favorite players, but outside of that, I wouldn't think it would go much further. In August, nobody at Target and Walmart are going to care about WC retail packs. Like @mikecole said, there wouldn't be any real rookie cards in it. So the wax would hold no investment value. I would see them as nothing more than the Connor McDavid sets or the All-Rookie sets that UD has made lately. They would sell at actual cost when they first came out as collectors tried to get their one card of their favorite player, and then they would slowly fall in interest/value for about 6-12 months, and then fall off a precipice into insignificance (see Tim Horton's/McDonalds/etc.).

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wonder if a 200-card boxed set featuring cards of all the players, plus some tournament action, that includes one auto and one memorabilia would fly with people...especially if at a reasonable price. I think of that Panini All Goalies set and marvel at how much some of those SP'd memorabilia cards went for.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you're going to do that.... go more the route they did with Edmonton Oilers Collection:

Make a base set 180 cards (180 is better than 200 for the purpose of a binder) but Add 20 "Hits" to each box:

10 of the hits are some kind of foil parallel

Half the remaining hits are autos

The other half are printing plates, or manufactured memorabilia cards.

I wonder if a 200-card boxed set featuring cards of all the players, plus some tournament action, that includes one auto and one memorabilia would fly with people...especially if at a reasonable price. I think of that Panini All Goalies set and marvel at how much some of those SP'd memorabilia cards went for.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Smart thinking. There's a resurgence in appreciation for cool shiny parallels. I would think just one variant would be enough for a product like this. Not too mass-market but still allows for some wide-ranging trades to take place with the bonus content.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oilers Collection, you got the 90 card base set in each box... and then 10 hits (I just doubled it for a world cup thing).

In a box, 5 of them would be the parallels. building a set is easy (they were readily available) but you've either got to buy a lot of product, trade with someone, or buy a bulk lot off someone who busted a lot.

Smart thinking. There's a resurgence in appreciation for cool shiny parallels. I would think just one variant would be enough for a product like this. Not too mass-market but still allows for some wide-ranging trades to take place with the bonus content.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast