Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Real or Fake? >>>

SCF Rewards
    Country

Real or Fake? >>>

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@rtghobbies

with gretzkys, i wouldnt touch them if they arent graded but thats just me

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just had to take one look at this card, definetly fake! Also exactly what palantri said, stick with graded Gretzky RCs to insure the authenticity.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's about as real as a three dollar bill
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rydlar99's Items on eBay

Very fake, there should be a white dot on his left shoulder on a real copy (there are other tells too, but that's the most obvious one).

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See chris_brown2's Items on eBay

not to mention the color of the card stock is a bit too bright for a card thats supposed to be nearly 37 years old

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I have often wondered about the shoulder dot... as I can see a red dot (of corresponding shape and size) just below (on legit copies). What gives this copy away as a non-legitimate one is that there is a red dot below where there should be a yellow dot. From what I can tell, when these cards were printed, there was damage to one of the color sheets (not yellow or black, possibly cyan or magenta). I have never seen a Gretzky without the dot ... which may trace the damage back even before the printing sheets. It is possible that the original color separation from the original photo had this damage.

In any event, when it comes to old card #18, if it is OPC, and if it doesn't have the dot, I start to look very very closely at printing quality. If I was a betting man, I would bet that your card is, unfortunately, a reproduction.

Interestingly, the Topps version doesn't have the dot problem.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See notoriousrob101's Items on eBay

A lot of fakes still have dot on Shoulder

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

A lot of fakes still have dot on Shoulder

This is true, but all Gretzky OPC cards that don't have the dot are fake (note: the Topps does not have the spot). It takes out about 90% of all the fakes.

Yes, someone could make a new fake that had the dot (and I am sure it exists). The dot check is the most preliminary of all checks for authenticity. I then flip the card over and look at the (c) logo on the back. All of the fakes I have seen have had troubles with this (too fine of printing).

The best thing to do, honestly, is to take a common card from the set (who would counterfeit a Brad Gassoff!!) and compare. Look at the quality of the paper, the gloss of the printing, the edges....

In the end, a second opinion always is a good idea!