Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It Just Me?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I just always have little signs on my table saying:

"Always Trading"

and either

"Accepting Offers"

or

"Ask for prices"

Seems to do the trick when you let the buyer know you're willing to wheel n deal, even though prices arnt listed

That does send a positive message and would draw me to your table
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am not a haggler either. I see cards with no price, I usually keep it moving.

I've probably missed out on a lot of opportunities, but I can live with that. I see a price, I either I pay it, or maybe I ask if they will take x amount for it. Not a fan of doing that either. That's why I hate car shopping!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

Heres the thing: As soon as money (high prices) become involved it was/is always going to happen. Most of the time when making a deal people want to get the better end of it. It doesn't matter if its cards or whatever that's the human nature. When money/value is involved that's how it is. I don't know about you but I don't like to make a deal I lose value on.

You seem to be talking about a select person or very few that exist though.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

He posted on this forum a few years ago that he left a window open and thus all of his cards got damaged. A tragedy for a card collector for sure, but how does this happen? Don't most windows have a screen that can still protect the cards and even if the window was open how does the water end up inside the house and damage the cards?

My room is a mess and there are piles of cards on the inside of the window ledge. The window is always open because my rat stinks to high heaven. Sometimes it rains ans sometimes it storms and the wind blows the rain inside. Long story short, I had to throw away a small stack of oversized cards that had warped into a fourth dimension and a pile of Paul Kariyas that had turned into a brick. Please send donations to.........

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am not a haggler either. I see cards with no price, I usually keep it moving.

I've probably missed out on a lot of opportunities, but I can live with that. I see a price, I either I pay it, or maybe I ask if they will take x amount for it. Not a fan of doing that either. That's why I hate car shopping!

++++++

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

I have stopped going to card shows b/c of all the incidents of greed i have seen and b/c they are simply dead here in Toronto. The one main show that goes on regularly is busy but it is mostly hockey and i don't really collect hockey and i don't know anyone that i am friends with in the hobby that go there. Another thing that irks me is when these dealers try to take advantage of kids! I haven't seen this all that often but there are times when I see all the things I have mentioned taking place to children. I mean come on!!!

Another thing I noticed when I used to goto card shows is when dealers over price their cards and they don't realize this and the have the same cards for literally years. Like hello??? I understand that setting up for a card show takes some work and pricing cards is something no one wants to do and as a dealer you need to be thinking about making a profit but when you are not selling a damn thing it is time to rethink things isn't it???

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

i can't stand that mentality that you have to win every deal. this hobby is supposed to be fun but for whatever reason everyone i know basically treats it as a business. i have a friend who recently quit collecting cards and is more focused on comics b/c it is easier to make money off of comics than it is cards. i don't really understand that logic either. if your life is just about making money then why bother doing anything interesting or having any hobbies? travelling costs a crap load of money but do you think people that travel a lot are looking to make money from it? of course not. they travel for the experience and enjoy themselves. that's why i am in the hobby b/c it is enjoyable and i have fun with it and whatever money i can make from it is a bonus!

i have no idea if that guy is trying to make money off of the generosity of others but he seems really suspicious to me. he also seems angry whenever he makes his show and tell posts and is always swearing, even when he pulls nice cards. immature to say the least especially for a grown adult.

All I can say is look for positives and not the negatives in the hobby. We could debate this all day but I see good and bad. If We all focused on all the negatives and never the positive of the hobby I think most of us would just abandon the hobby IMO.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

All I can say is look for positives and not the negatives in the hobby. We could debate this all day but I see good and bad. If We all focused on all the negatives and never the positive of the hobby I think most of us would just abandon the hobby IMO.

Don

Don't get me wrong I still love the hobby, but I love it b/c I only deal with myself for the most part. Like that little boy getting a pack of cards from his parents for the first time, I still have that kind of excitement and joy for the cards I pull. Now with the saturation of products and having so much more knowledge available to me in terms of value, I think that has also put a hamper on a lot of people's atttitude towards collecting. DEATH TO EBAY lol.

I try to stay away from ebay as I do not sell or buy cards from there and only use it to gauge a value of my collection and the cards that I pull from my breaks. Part of me thinks it is ironic that those that complain about all things ebay are typically those people that are in the hobby mostly to make a profit. Maybe I am off base here and I know how frustrating someone people on ebay can be, but it is interesting to ponder.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

eBay (well, the internet in general) was the best thing that ever happened to this hobby.

It made rare cards no so rare. If You want a particular card of your favorite player, and it's limited to 100 copies (something that isn't considered very rare anymore) and you live in Toronto (using Canada's biggest city as an example) GOOD LUCK. The chance of you going to to shop or a show, and finding that card, are pretty slim.

Finding it on eBay? You'll probably see a quarter (or so) of the entire print run pass through.

Don't get me wrong I still love the hobby, but I love it b/c I only deal with myself for the most part. Like that little boy getting a pack of cards from his parents for the first time, I still have that kind of excitement and joy for the cards I pull. Now with the saturation of products and having so much more knowledge available to me in terms of value, I think that has also put a hamper on a lot of people's atttitude towards collecting. DEATH TO EBAY lol.

I try to stay away from ebay as I do not sell or buy cards from there and only use it to gauge a value of my collection and the cards that I pull from my breaks. Part of me thinks it is ironic that those that complain about all things ebay are typically those people that are in the hobby mostly to make a profit. Maybe I am off base here and I know how frustrating someone people on ebay can be, but it is interesting to ponder.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

You just have to find the right people to deal with I suppose. I'd say at least 50% of my trades lately have been with people that I have already traded with before. Start to build relationships with people and trades turn into you telling the person you're sending them a package, and then maybe a few weeks later they send you a package and it just keeps going and you guys stop caring about every little $ of BV. It all works out in the end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast