Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mugmasher's Items on eBay

15/16 upperdeck buyback hockey...

i was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good product ??? i was thinking of getting a box but i hear a lot of bad things about buybacks no matter the sport..i figure before i dump $650 on a box i might get a little insight first...any feedback would be great !!!!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Checklist and discussion thread here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...hlight=buyback

Initial photo gallery & discussion thread: https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...hlight=buyback

Very first news thread: https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...hlight=buyback
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Defaultlie's Items on eBay

How many packs come in a box again? I tried 2-3 packs and did pretty good. My best hit was an Ovechkin auto /3. It's definitely a hit or miss product though.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If you actually buy into the nonsense that these cards are actually 1-of-1s and such, it's not a bad idea. But simply buying used cards (and who actually thinks they went out and bought back all those cards and didn't simply pull an extra couple copies of YGs they had lying around?) and getting them signed does not make a unique card. Anybody can go out and get a YG signed and number it themselves, and it will look EXACTLY like all the buybacks.

"Oh, but they have this cool little piece of paper that they include saying that THEY did it." Does that really make a card worth 10x what it takes to actually get it done yourself? My answer to that is NO. I am sure many others will say, Yes. But I think its a foolish idea. If you think about it, UD can come out with "new products" like this for the next 20 or 30 years, and they will never have to produce another card. Brilliant marketing strategy and at very little cost to them. And what is to stop them from producing the EXACT same set next year, only this time the little piece of paper they include says its from 16-17, instead of 15-16? The cards look exactly the same, but the little piece of paper says its an "entirely new set."

I think they are just simply telling the collecting community exactly what UD thinks of us. "We'll go out and buy these cards (just like YOU can do) and get them signed (just like YOU can do), and then we'll charge you 10x what it would actually cost you to do it."

No thanks.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

If you actually buy into the nonsense that these cards are actually 1-of-1s and such, it's not a bad idea. But simply buying used cards (and who actually thinks they went out and bought back all those cards and didn't simply pull an extra couple copies of YGs they had lying around?) and getting them signed does not make a unique card. Anybody can go out and get a YG signed and number it themselves, and it will look EXACTLY like all the buybacks.

"Oh, but they have this cool little piece of paper that they include saying that THEY did it." Does that really make a card worth 10x what it takes to actually get it done yourself? My answer to that is NO. I am sure many others will say, Yes. But I think its a foolish idea. If you think about it, UD can come out with "new products" like this for the next 20 or 30 years, and they will never have to produce another card. Brilliant marketing strategy and at very little cost to them. And what is to stop them from producing the EXACT same set next year, only this time the little piece of paper they include says its from 16-17, instead of 15-16? The cards look exactly the same, but the little piece of paper says its an "entirely new set."

I think they are just simply telling the collecting community exactly what UD thinks of us. "We'll go out and buy these cards (just like YOU can do) and get them signed (just like YOU can do), and then we'll charge you 10x what it would actually cost you to do it."

No thanks.

+1 thanks for a very sobering but honest discussion of what this really is. Another lazy attempt by upper deck to fleece the collecting community.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not sure why people like Sharky complains so much about this product. I found my 5 boxes to be a very fun break.

A lot of people love YGs and their parallels ..... who wouldnt like authentic auto YGs to the players jersey number or a gold version /25.

The amount of money or effort UD puts forward for a release shouldnt be a determining factor of a product. Who cares if they simply bought back cards they packed out in previous releases, altered them a little, and re-released them. The Canvas autos are GORGEOUS cards.

From my 5 boxes, my best hits were. All my boxes were in the $125CDN range, and both of these netted me over $150USD.

- 14/15 UD Canvas Young Guns Ekblad 5/10
    - 13/14 UD UD Base Auto Price 1/1

My dud box was a Toffoli YG /73 ( which I was still somewhat happy about ). This card only got me about $60USD.

Even the base cards are very low numbered, and still pretty rare and can easily net you $5 - $100 back.

Your 5 box case ( im pretty sure its 5 anyways ) will provide 4 Buybacks and 1 randomly inserted other card ( non buyback ). Some of these are real gems, something like the Crosby Cup /99 that was listed in there would be your 1 "other" hit in the case. I never got one of those random hits, but in all honesty I didnt want one as these IMO were the dud boxes.

For a product where you have an actual decent shot at making at least half your money back .... im not sure why it gets so much hate. People today always complain about how little value a box gives you back ..... when something like this comes out where I got at minimum 50% back ..... there is too much negativity because someone thinks that UD did not put enough effort in.

I know the price is up now, you stated $650 ( USD im assuming ) which is $130USD a box, or roughly $160CDN .... then it gets a bit harder to make your money back ( if thats the reason why your breaking these boxes ). But at $125CDN this would be my #1 breaking product at my LCS.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mugmasher's Items on eBay

Thanks for the replies guys ...I think I will get a box ..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I just don't appreciate it much when card companies treat collectors like we are morons. Those cards are NOT 1-of-1s, so don't mark them as such. There is no difference between those cards and cards you could go get signed and mark yourself. They ARE nice cards. I am not saying otherwise. But don't go marking them with false scarcity. If you happen to loose your little "Buyback" paper, then you are screwed. You shouldn't need a piece of paper explaining why your card is so "scarce."

I said the same thing about Final Vault. Simply stamping cards 1-of-1 with different colors is inherently dishonest, if not downright lying. The cards are the same as the others that were previously released. The cards are no different than show-stamped cards, but people treat them as if they are real 1-of-1s.

But as long as enough collectors buy into the false scarcity, they will continue to push out garbage like that and not be forced to come up with original ideas. And we'll be stuck with the same thing year after year. And since they have a monopoly, there is nothing we can do about it...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I would love to see some scans... also... what is the other card in the pack? Is it a basecard from this set?

*searching ebay*

ooh... that is gross. Looks like early 2000's black diamond (the one with the dicuts) and early SPx had a love-child... yuck. Not for $160 CAN
    Last edited by Rraincock; 06-18-2016 at 03:18 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Some interesting highlight hits - super set collectors and player collectors should find some gold here
    Last edited by Rraincock; 06-18-2016 at 03:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast