Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legacy Of LeBron

SCF Rewards
    Country

The Legacy Of LeBron

Whether you love him, hate him, or are indifferent, our opinions of LeBron James have nothing to do with his factual accomplishments. Though I do rather enjoy the flavor of his footwear and clothing line, I have never truly been a 'fan' of this once 18-year old superstar #1 overall pick who already looked to be 38. I was a doubter, naysayer, hater, disbeliever; tossed my weekly Sports Illustrated with "The Chosen One" to the side with a "pfft". After all, I had seen the hype rise and fall with other recent years' top picks such as, (you remember) Kwame Brown, Michael Jordan's High School protégé pick for the Wizards back in '01. Who could forget Michael Olowokandi drafted in '98 by the Clippers? Not me. Even Golden State had their hopes high when picking Joe Smith #1 in '95, but just three short years later, he embarked on journeymanhood and was never heard from again. While there have been #1 picks such as Duncan, whom has just about a pristine career as it gets, they just don't register on the entertainment scale. Others, like Iverson, had the glitz & glamour that is enjoyable to watch. But if we start the comparison at rings, well, then that argument does not even begin.

The hype of LeBron rose to a peak on October 29, 2003 in Sacramento, Ca. Twenty-five points, a steal, and a dunk is all that is showing on SportsCenter afterwards. The teenage Hummer-driving James leaps on the NBA scene and quiets every doubter, naysayer, hater, disbeliever, SI-tosser coast to coast more quickly than the fast break jam of his rookie debut can be looped. Fast-forward to 2016 and the man has lead his respective teams to 6 straight NBA Finals. Last person to do that? That would be Bill Russell and the rest of the Boston Celtics of the 50's-60's. Pretty amazing stuff right there.

The personal Finals record as it stands at 2-4 makes no difference to his arrival as one of the All-Time Greats. Yes, what happens in this epic Game 7 could help to add to the "legend" of LeBron. If he loses it will not have any true negative impact on the résumé of his career. It would indeed be a fact that his personal attempts would be 2-5 in the Championship round. Factually worse? Of course. Although, how could he have been expected to beat a record-setting 73-win team? Not only that, but there is talk of win or lose he is still a lock to be the Finals MVP. That has not been done since..1969 by 'The Logo' himself Jerry West for the Lakers against Boston in a Game 7 losing effort. Staying back in the 60's most would say Wilt was more dominant than Russell, (see the 100-point game), yet the Celtics won championship upon championship over Wilt's Lakers. Did it make Chamberlain any less of an entertainment attraction? Nope. Did it make him not the greatest? That is a matter of opinion.

When LeBron's games are nationally televised, we all are able to bear witness to just how dominant of a player he actually is. Yes, the absence of Andrew Bogut down low gives James an open lane with a FastPass to the basket seemingly every possession. But, that's not to take away from his one-of-a-kind ability to go Iso against the opposing teams' best defender most times down the court. Klay Thompson is not having much luck getting the job done. When there is a defensive switch have you taken notice of the 1-on-1 matchups between LeBron and Curry? Usually, advantage undisputedly LeBron.

I'm going for the Warriors btw, so let's just keep things in perspective. I root against the guy, yet can't help oohing and aweing on many occasions. Enjoy what you are witnessing because it is a lot of fun to watch. More fun than the NBA has been in years, probably. We never know when the next dry spell is going to hit. Even when you throw out all the numbers, stats, and accolades, James passes the eye test with flying colors. And while he may not be the next Jordan or Kobe, I can't help to wonder who the next LeBron will be.

We can all be doubters, naysayers, haters, disbelievers, and SI-tossers, but it still does not change the fact that LeBron is going to be a First Ballot Hall of Fame selection. He has lived up to the hype, since day one.

Isn't that enough?

*Go Warriors*

Jerad
    Last edited by SFGiants; 06-19-2016 at 06:08 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmmintz's Items on eBay

I didn't respect the way he handled the move to Miami, but I think what we're watching right now is the most dominant player in the league, and I don't think it's even close.

LeBron basically dragged a DLeague team through the Finals last year - the fact that they even took one game without Love and Kyrie, let alone two, is pretty remarkable given the supporting cast he was left with after their injuries.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Great and objective analysis. Enjoyed reading.

I am with jmintz - been a fan for the most part; didn't like the way he handled the Miami thing, I find his handling of social media/teammates and buddies/referee calls a bit too immature at times, and the Jay-Z association has some potentially creepy overtones, but other than that, I can't criticize him much at all. His performance last game was astonishing. His career, his physical and multifaceted tactical abilities on the court, his marketability, his warm smile and generally friendly demeanor - there is much to appreciate about Mr. James. Whether the Cavs win today or not, his career is definitely cemented as legendary. I personally hope he can bring a title to his home state. I like the Warriors and their style of play, but I find myself rooting for Cleveland more. A 73-9 team losing the Finals would be embarrassing, but I'd rather see James bring a championship to Cleveland, all aspects considered.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmmintz's Items on eBay

I like the Warriors and their style of play, but I find myself rooting for Cleveland more.

I think that's a growing sentiment around the country. Draymond has turned out to be a jerk, and if he played for any other team in the league he'd have gotten suspended for the kick on Adams, & Curry and Kerr haven't stopped whining since the end of the last game (not to mention Curry's wife's actions).

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the replies guys! I, too, agree the complaining about anything being rigged is lame. The thought is beyond unfathomable to me. Especially when each team is in the position that they are in. Oh, the NBA is rigged, Ayesha? I didn't hear you complaining after last years' Finals were "rigged" in your favor. Nor do I remember any complaints about 73 "rigged" regular season wins this year. Even if it ALL were rigged, how could one be on the inside, enjoying the millions and fame that comes along & everything else, yet still cry out against the entire regime that one is a part of? That sentiment is actually right along the lines of my LeBron piece; When is enough enough? Or at least good enough?

SCF Rewards
    Country

He definitely helped his legacy with the win last night but Jordan > Kobe >>> Lebron
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Still wont catch Bryant or Duncan no matter what he does. Eastern conference is as soft as a mash mellow lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

As much as I cannot stand Lebron he did have a phenomenal finals coming back 3-1. Still bottom line he is NOT top 5 just because he accomplished this. Let stats and facts speak Jabbar, Jordan,Kobe Duncan Bird Russsell all way ahead. And don't use the lame excuse different eras. Remember Lebron would be missing a title without a clutch prayer from Ray Allen.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As much as I cannot stand Lebron he did have a phenomenal finals coming back 3-1. Still bottom line he is NOT top 5 just because he accomplished this. Let stats and facts speak Jabbar, Jordan,Kobe Duncan Bird Russsell all way ahead. And don't use the lame excuse different eras. Remember Lebron would be missing a title without a clutch prayer from Ray Allen.

Do you think the era they played in had anything to do with the fact that Wilt and Russell are the only players to ever pull down 50 rebounds in a single game?

Jerad

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

lol here we go.

I did a top ten player list myself a few months ago, and I debated whether or not to have LeBron there. I ultimately left him off. I will say, now, that I would have him in the top ten. Top five? No, but I think most fans would agree at this point that top ten is at least now fair.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast