Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Chinese Team Confirmed in Kontinental Hockey League

The Russia-based Kontinental Hockey League has confirmed that it will add a Chinese club next season as it competes against the NHL in Asian markets.

The move means the 2022 Winter Olympic host city of Beijing now has a team in what is widely regarded as the strongest league outside the NHL. However, it is likely to rely almost exclusively on foreign pros rather than Asian players.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...eague-40124815

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Very interesting. Nice to see the game expanding!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Very interesting. Nice to see the game expanding!

In one of the biggest markets possible.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

You know, I like that there is an international feel to hockey that isn't... B-rate.

Imagine a Canada-Cup style event where the NHL plays against the KHL for an all star sort of game... I would see that!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The Red Army tours used to work, because you had the top Russians playing together year round, and they were really good.

The KHL might be the second best league in the world, but I can't imagine their Champion having much of a shot against an NHL team that's actually fielding it's real players (rather than treating it like the exhibition game it would be).

There's a handful of players in the entire league that would come to the NHL and be considered "impact" players here.

I think it's a good thing that the KHL is expanding to China though. The world largest market.... exposing them more to hockey is a good thing. I believe the Bejing Olympics in 2022 is the ONLY reason the NHL is still considering going to the 2018 games in South Korea.

You know, I like that there is an international feel to hockey that isn't... B-rate.

Imagine a Canada-Cup style event where the NHL plays against the KHL for an all star sort of game... I would see that!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

With all those people, it's only a matter of time before we start seeing some in the AHL. I'd say no less than 15 years, if not 10.