Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Hofer class of 16

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Hofer class of 16

Markarov, Lindros, Pat Quinn, Rogie Vachon

any thoughts, opinions ?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Lindros: about time. Changed the game.

Makarov: I think the fact that the OP spelled his name wrong says everything. Yes, as a Flames fan, I thought Makarov was one hell of a player. Yes, his exploits in Russia/USSR were great... but I don't think that he is hall worthy. Then again, if you look at his professional career as a total... he is one hell of a player. Maybe a soft yes.

Vachon: Good... but not great. When I think of the iconic goalies of the 60's, 70's and 80's... Rogie is not among them. A good goalie, but this isn't the hall of good.

Quinn: about time.

My question is what about these players:

Paul Karia
    Curtis Joseph
    Dave Andreychuk
    Alex Mogilny
    Mark Recchi
    Jeremy Roenick
    John LeClair
    Pierre Turgeon
    Keith Tkachuk

... and for the old timers....

Claude Provost
    JC Tremblay

There is a great article about this that can be found here

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am always amazed that Montreal gambled on the college kid Dryden and jettisoned all-time greats Vachon, Esposito and Worsley instead between 1968 and 1970.
    Last edited by piper1; 06-28-2016 at 06:13 PM.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

I am always amazed that Montreal gambled on the college kid Dryden and jettisoned all-time greats Vachon, Esposito and Worsley instead between 1968 and 1970.

Yes, that was a big gamble. The habs always seemed to be deep with goaltending then.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

All of these guys have been eligible for years....

Vachon I've never thought of as a HOFer, but I was 2 when he retired, so you'll have to forgive me for just knowing he was a good goalie. I will say that the arguments I've heard pro-Vachon.... I don't buy them moment though:

3 Stanley Cups...... but 2 of them he was a backup, and the other he was a "split time" goalie, who did play the entire finals
    A Vezina Trophy.... but that's before it was a "voted best goalie" award... it was a "best record" award (like the Jennings is for goalies now). He didn't win it outright either, he shared it with Gump Worsley.... and Gump played more games. He won the Canada Cup in in 1976.... and that's great.... and while I think international games matter for players with long international careers..... guys who are going into the HOF that were career NHLers, and played in an international tourney once?? I don't think it adds anything to their qualifications.

He's been eligible for the HOF, basically, since I started elementary school. How he's suddenly in now strikes me as odd.

Lindros, it's about time. That he had to wait 6 years (to me) is stupid. He was one of the most dominant players of his era, but his career was cut short due to injury. He accomplished a lot more than Cam Neely ever did.... not even close to who the better player was (Neely is the easy comparison).... and I don't accept refusing to play of the Nordiques, or wanting out of Philly after he had a fight with management, as reasons to exclude him. I don't understand why he's a HOFer in 2016, but wasn't in 2013, but whatever.

Makarov, it's also long overdue. This is a case where his international play needs to be taken into account. Simply put: He was one of the best players on the planet in the 1980s. He just didn't play in North America (much). It's a good selection, but (again) I find it odd they waited this long.

Quinn, you knew this was happening before too much longer. After the HOF refused to be shamed into inducing him before he died, they had to wait a few years so they weren't berated in public for doing it the year (or two) after he passed. Enough time has passed that they could do it this year, without looking like complete fools.