Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: What Do You Think of the Knicks' Offseason Moves?

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • I love it!

5 71.43%
  • In Phil We Trust.

1 14.29%
  • Okay.

1 14.29%
  • Knicks will still suck.

0 0%
  • Knicks will still miss the playoffs.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

2016-17 New York Knicks Off-season Thread

The last time I was excited for a Knicks team was when we signed Kidd, Sheed and Kurt Thomas came back. The Zenmaster is putting his touches on the team he's envisioned for the Knicks and so far I love most of his decisions. While it was sad to see Jerian Grant go in the DRose trade were we really going to contend for a championship with he and Calderon in the backcourt? Whereas right now we have Derrick Rose and Brandon Jennings. Both guys have had their fair share of injuries but if they don't pan out people fail to realize that they both will be free agents at the end of the 16'17 season. And we can let each walk and Phil can search for another starter quality point. Let's look so far at Phil's moves..

New Knicks Head Coach: Jeff Hornacek
    Assistant Coach Retained from the Fisher Regime: Kurt Rambis
    *Note: Hornacek and Rambis were former teammates on the Phoenix Suns in the 80s/90s. While Rambis was Head Coach of the Timberwolves he offered an assistant coach spot to Hornacek. FWIW Rambis is listed as "Associate Head Coach".. whatever that means.
    New Knicks Assistant Coaches: Howard Eisley, Jerry Sichting and Corey Gaines
    *Note: Eisley is a former Knick player.

2016 Trades:
    Knicks Receive:​ Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday and a 2017 Second Round Pick (Bulls)
    Bulls Receive: Robin Lopez, Jose Calderon and Jerian Grant

Waived Players: Tony Wroten
    *Note: Wroten was claimed off waivers by the Memphis Grizzlies. The same team that drafted him 35th overall in the 2012 NBA Draft. Wroten, who was recovering from injury, was signed by the Knicks near the end of the 2015-16 season. He never played a game for the Knicks.

2016 NBA Draft: The Knicks did not have a 1st or 2nd Round Pick.

2016 Knicks Free Agents:
    Arron Afflalo (signed with the Kings for 2 years/$25 million)
    Lance Thomas (re-signed for 4 years/$27 million)
    Langston Galloway (signed with the Pelicans for 2 years/$10 million)
    Derrick Williams (signed with the Heat for 1 year/$5 million)
    Sasha Vujacic (re-signed for 1 year/veteran minimum of $1.41 million)
    Kevin Seraphin (signed with the Pacers for 2 years/$3.6 million)
    Lou Amundson (re-signed for 1 year/$?)
    Cleanthony Early (re-signed to a non-guaranteed contract on the Knicks' NBDL team)
    *Note: Phil has stated he wants to bring back Galloway, DWill, Thomas (check) and Seraphin. I'd welcome all back too but see if there's a better big free agent than Seraphin first.

2016 Knicks Free Agent Signings:
    Joakim Noah - Bulls FA (4 years/$72 million)
    Courtney Lee - Hornets FA (4 years/$50 million)
    Brandon Jennings - Magic FA (1 year/$5 million)
    Guillermo "Willy" Hernangomez - Spain/Real Madrid (4 years/$5.6 million)
    *Note: Hernangomez was drafted 35th overall in the 2015 NBA Draft by the Sixers and his draft rights acquired on draft night in 2015.
    Mindaugas Kuzminskas - Lithuania/Unicaja in Spain (2 years/$6 million)
    *Note: Kuzminskas had played for Unicaja in Spain since 2013. He had just signed with Darussafaka Dogus in Turkey but Phil bought his contract out and he's ecstatic about coming to the NBA.
    Marshall Plumlee - Duke/2016 Undrafted Rookie (3 years/$?)
    *Note: Only Year 1 is guaranteed @ the league minimum of $565K. Brother of Miles and Mason.
    Maurice Ndour - Senegal/Real Madrid (2 years/$?)
    Note: Only Year 1 is guaranteed.
    Chasson Randle - Stanford/2015 Undrafted Rookie
    Ron Baker - Wichita State/2016 Undrafted Rookie
    J.P. Tokoto - NBDL (58th Overall Pick in 2015 by the Sixers)
    Damien Inglis - Bucks FA (signed for the Knicks' NBDL team)

2016-17 New York Knicks Starting Lineup:
    PG - Derrick Rose
    SG - Courtney Lee
    SF/PF - Carmelo Anthony
    PF/C - Kristaps Porzingis
    C - Joakim Noah

Bench:
    PG - Brandon Jennings
    SF/PF - Lance Thomas
    SG/PG - Justin Holiday
    C/PF - Kyle O'Quinn
    SG - Sasha Vujacic
    C - Lou Amundson
    PF/C - Willy Hernangomez (R)
    SF - Mindaugas Kuzminskas (R)
    C - Marshall Plumlee (R)
    PF - Maurice Ndour (R)
    PG - Chasson Randle (R)
    SG - Ron Baker (R)
    SG - J.P. Tokoto (R)

Lastly, I really hope Phil finds a way to re-sign DWill and Galloway. I wouldn't mind Early coming back too but on a cheap contract. I can't wait for the 2016-17 Preseason, lol. After the Rose trade became official I was very excited but then I remembered what happened to Antonio McDyess after the Knicks traded for him. The great thing with Rose is that he's in a contract year and will want to play his way into signing what might be his last lucrative NBA contract next year. And if Rose doesn't pan out then he's a free agent but if he does then Phil can look to re-sign him. Ditto for Jennings. I find it immensely funny that we sign him as a FA when we could've SIMPLY drafted him in 2009. He wanted to be a Knick but OF COURSE we pass him up for Jordan Hill. Not that Hill was a bust but we traded him away in his rookie season to Houston, SMH. Holiday is not just a "throw-in". I expect him to be a key reserve and/or spot starter when there's injury or rest needed for one of the starting guards. I'm going to buy a Knicks jersey of Noah. After we traded Rolo the only bigs I hoped Phil would sign was Noah or Pau. I thank the good Lord that Zenmaster didn't drink the Dwight kool-aid. Dwight Howard is a BAN. With Afflalo opting out I suspected Phil wouldn't bring him back. I was hoping for Eric Gordon or Courtney Lee. I guess Wroten had to be waived to make the Rose trade work?? It sucks, I wish we had kept him. I like bringing over Willy and this Lithuanian kid, Kuzminskas. I've read that he's an athletic forward and played ball in Spain for a few years. Pleased that Lance Thomas was re-signed, he earned it. Now Phil just needs to find a way to re-sign some of our own free agents and I think the roster is set for next season.
    Last edited by Zeppelin1985; 10-13-2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Updated Early re-signing.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Nice breakdown of your team. I have also been impressed with their moves. On paper, they've certainly gotten much better, and Hornacek is a very good coach - he was dealt a bad hand in Phoenix at the end that no one could have done much with, but he did great before all that. Level-headed guy; good with x's and o's, and will also let them run.

Your fan base definitely has reason to be excited for the upcoming year. I know it's been a hard time for the Knicks lately, but this is a great chance for them to start turning it around again.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I really like the team and they should be a strong contender for #2 in the very weak east but I still don't think they are better than the Cavs and the Warriors just got better so I'm not counting on a title for the Knicks anytime soon.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice breakdown of your team. I have also been impressed with their moves. On paper, they've certainly gotten much better, and Hornacek is a very good coach - he was dealt a bad hand in Phoenix at the end that no one could have done much with, but he did great before all that. Level-headed guy; good with x's and o's, and will also let them run.

Your fan base definitely has reason to be excited for the upcoming year. I know it's been a hard time for the Knicks lately, but this is a great chance for them to start turning it around again.

Thanks, they finally gave me a worthwhile reason to write about them! I think Horne will do a fine job. I can't wait to see how this team meshes though. It's an interesting group, especially the starting lineup. I don't expect Rose to play in back-to-backs so Jennings would be starting in those instances.

I really like the team and they should be a strong contender for #2 in the very weak east but I still don't think they are better than the Cavs and the Warriors just got better so I'm not counting on a title for the Knicks anytime soon.

#2 in the East!? I can only wish!! It'd be nice to win the Atlantic Division but I know Toronto is still the team to beat. I really like what the Pacers have done by trading for Teague and TYoung and signing Big Al. With us losing out on re-signing Galloway, I'm praying Phil finds a way to land Lance Stephenson. I have a feeling he will go back to Indiana though. He should've never left to begin with.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Updated my OP because... ... the Pelicans have signed Langston Galloway. I really wanted him back. Sad to see him go but hey I'm happy he's getting paid AND he's going back home. I don't think the Knicks could've paid him as much as NOLA did.

Deuces Gallo, good luck in NOLA!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

#2 in the East!? I can only wish!! It'd be nice to win the Atlantic Division but I know Toronto is still the team to beat. I really like what the Pacers have done by trading for Teague and TYoung and signing Big Al. With us losing out on re-signing Galloway, I'm praying Phil finds a way to land Lance Stephenson. I have a feeling he will go back to Indiana though. He should've never left to begin with.

I honestly think they have the potential to be the #2 team in the east. Remember that's potential so that means Rose is healthy and Carmelo doesn't implode so that's not ever going to happen but I'd be super disappointed if the Knicks some how fail to make the playoffs next season.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A couple updates..

1) Marshall Plumlee (yes, the brother of Miles and Mason) has been signed to a 3-year deal. He went undrafted out of Duke and is on the Knicks Summer League team in Orlando. Only Year 1 of his contract is guaranteed.

2) Knicks showing interest in Drew Gooden whose contract option was just declined by the Wiz kids to help make room for their free agent signings.

I'm not sure how much money Phil has left but I wish he could sign another SG that could also play point like Lance Stephenson, Jarrett Jack, Troy Daniels, Greivis Vasquez or Ian Clark. Heck, why not give a look at bringing back Nate Robinson!?!? Any one of those players, Phil, and I'll be pleased!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Derrick Williams has signed with Miami. UGH, I really wanted him back. Wish him the best in Miami. I really thought he played his way into signing a nice multi-year contract this Summer but I guess not or he has a lousy agent.

One of the guards I hoped Phil would sign is gone. Ian Clark re-signed with the Warriors.. Still available are Nate, Stephenson, Jack, Daniels and Vasquez.

SCF Rewards
    Country

One of the guards I hoped Phil would sign is gone. Ian Clark re-signed with the Warriors.. Still available are Nate, Stephenson, Jack, Daniels and Vasquez.

Another dream guard on my list bites the dust. Troy Daniels signed with the Grizzlies for 3 years/$10 million.

Down to Nate, Stephenson, Jack and Vasquez..

SCF Rewards
    Country

Another dream guard on my list bites the dust. Troy Daniels signed with the Grizzlies for 3 years/$10 million.

Down to Nate, Stephenson, Jack and Vasquez..

WHAT ARE YOU DOING, PHIL?!?!

Jarrett Jack signed with the Hawks for 1-year and the vet. minimum!! What a steal!!

Greivis Vasquez signed with the Nyets for 1-year. Terms unknown.

My fantasy guard signing list has dwindled down to Nate and Stephenson..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast