Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Replica SP Authentic Connor McDavid Future Watch Patch Auto

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Connor-McDavid-Custom-Future-Watch-Patch-Reprint-Oilers-Fantastic-2-of-5-/322206411906?hash=item4b04ffac82:g:ClgAAOSweXhXmAx V

What are people's thoughts on replica cards?

I can appreciate the dedication and skill to create the card, but for some reason it rubs me the wrong way...
    Last edited by 26CRDS; 07-31-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

LOL "Replica cards" is a very generous way to describe outright copyright infringement.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See psychoforturkeys's Items on eBay

Nicer than the UD design but I don't think UD will be too pleased if and when they see that one.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I really dig custom cards, and the seller has some really sharp looking stuff for sale. I'll give them that. Making an outright copy of UD's cards though? I would imagine that UD will tell them to stop. Have to.

I know there's someone that makes cards with "SP Home Edition" (or something like that) so they have similar (or same) designs as various FW cards - but the logos are clearly different.

Again, this seller is advertising what the cards are.... no deception going on here.... so that's good. But making a copy of a real card like that? Bad form.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I think if this card was being sold for $3 I would be more OK with it. For $89 though? Hell to the nope.

I think most custom cards are on the fringes of being ok. I am less cool with selling customs... I mean, they are illegal (to be clear) as copy-write and image rights are being infringed... but for an enthusiast in his/her basement, I think the tort is relatively limited. A death of a thousand cuts, as they say.

I have often thought of doing something like this for my local WHL team, the Red Deer Rebels. After every game there is a player that signs autos for fans. If I could get ahold of the schedule, I could make up 100 or so custom cards, get the kid to sign three for me and hand him the rest of the stack to hand out. Pretty sure though that I would get into trouble from the Rebels... maybe not. Might be a fun thing to do one night.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Coyotes Buffalo Sabres Tampa Bay Rays
    See hunngarr's Items on eBay

I do not like it and would never buy it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

Does beware counterfeits kind of ring out here?...

I'm all for the card making enthusiasts idea of custom made cards when it pertains to making unique items. However when you make a card with a facsimile auto and with an apparent patch or jersey piece that is not of the player, and it very closely resembles an already existing item. Then try to sell it at a dollar level where a likely profit after production is made. More than likely permission on reproduction was not granted either. Then you start up the whirl wind of cry foul collectors. Granted no counterfeit deception is portrayed by this producer/seller, but to the unsuspecting naive individual(seems to me there's a few of them)that wants something like this and is unaware of it's origin, may buy it down the road after it changed hands a couple of times for a hefty amount more. That's where something like this could become a bit sour.
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is just lame i hope UD does something about it, soon the market will be flooded with replica cards ? thats the last thing we need.