Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@raisingsienna Instagram:

Hi all! (And some advice needed)

Hi all! Posted this in welcome thread and was advised to post it here.

Hi from NY! I've never really chased autographs either IP or TTM, but I do have a few 8x10s hanging on my wall. I guess what got me into it is the recent Yankee fanfest. I have a 1996 Sports Illustrated signed by most of the team and coaches (I used to hang out at the Stadium before games back in '97) and at the fanfest I crossed off Cecil Fielder and Jeff Nelson leaving me with 7 names left and the late Don Zimmer (which obviously ain't happening unless I buy something signed by him). I hadn't tried for autographs in 19 years. At the fest I met someone who told me some players sign through the mail, so I did some research and it led me here. I also realized that the 1996 magazine means a hell of a lot to me because not only was it the first time I'd seen the Yanks win the series, but the following month I was finally diagnosed with clinical depression (apparently I'd shown signs since age 9, but wasn't diagnosed until then.

I've since suffered a few nervous breakdowns and tons of panic attacks and depressive episodes, but I'm battling and have become an advocate for those with mental illness.

So now I really want to finish that magazine lol

I've read on this site that Jimmy Key signs TTM and rather quickly and that Wade Boggs does as well, though it can take some time. I've never paid for any of the graphs I've gotten and I've always gotten them in person.

So, my big question is: if you're in my position, would you entrust sending the magazine to Key and/or Boggs and would you do anything special in how you send it?

The other names I need, btw, are Brian Boehringer (not in database), Mike Aldrete (1B coach for A's at like 0%), Willie Randolph (close to 0%), David Weathers (0%) and Mike Stanton (was 96%, but most recent entry said RTS).

I've got tons of cards at my parents' house, so I might start doing this as a hobby anyway. I also LOVE prospects since I joined a couple of fantasy dynasty leagues so I might start doing that, but I haven't collected cards since the early 90s so I don't know anything about minor league cards. I could only do it if the expense isn't terrible.

So that's me and that's where I am. What would you guys advise regarding the mag and Key and Boggs?

Many, many, many thanks for welcoming to your forum!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shortking98's Items on eBay

Usually the rule of thumb is don't send anything you'd be upset about not getting back although Key and Boggs are both really good signers. If you do decide to send your magazine to them I would recommend splurging on shipping to make sure it's packaged really securely and can't be damaged in the mail. Although I am no Yankees fan myself, I would hate to see something that means so much to you get lost or damaged in the mail.

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

Welcome to the forum! shortking98 is correct, never send anything TTM that you can't afford to lose. In this case, I would not send the magazine, as it would be devastating to lose it. The difference would be for a paid signing at a show that takes mail order. You will see that certain shows accept items, and personally, only then would I mail my magazine. As an example from the NY area, there is a show every couple of months with JP's Sports & Rock Solid Promotions, and they have former Yankees (Andy Pettitte is at their October 2016 show). http://www.nyshows.org/

But unfortunately, just sending it TTM is pretty risky, even for athletes that are good signers. I would stick to the cards that you have for TTM requests.

-arfmax
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks guys! Ok...after much deliberation (and the sudden obsessive need to finish this mag), I decided to send it to Key since he's at 100%. Paid for his priority return and took out a $500 insurance policy. And wrote a probably too personal letter telling him my story (the depression stuff). It's probably the dumbest decision I ever made and if I get lucky, I seriously doubt I'd try it with Boggs. Wish me luck...I'm gonna need it!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings New York Yankees Indianapolis Colts
    Instagram:

I hope to see you post a success with that magazine on here! Sounds like a great item. I doubt your letter will put Key off also. If you do end up sending to Boggs, a few dollars helps, but he is very very good with his mail regardless. Good luck!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Many thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Best of luck! I would not take the chance, but it is out and now comes the time to be patient and I hope that it comes back signed and safe for you.
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Best of luck! I would not take the chance, but it is out and now comes the time to be patient and I hope that it comes back signed and safe for you.

Thanks man. Here's hoping I wasn't a complete idiot!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think you made a good move. Key and Boggs are awesome TTM, and Key is pretty much a lock to sign. Most of these guys seem to love personal letters, and I would bet that Key is the same! Best of luck!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think you made a good move. Key and Boggs are awesome TTM, and Key is pretty much a lock to sign. Most of these guys seem to love personal letters, and I would bet that Key is the same! Best of luck!

I sure hope so! According to tracking number, mag reached Key today. One problem...I think I forgot to get a tracking # for return :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast