Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

How come there were no cards made for Jonas Brodin in 2015-16?

Was trying to find a card of Minnesota Dman Jonas Brodin from 2015-16 because he was one of the most notable players left off the Series 1/2 base set I get and I noticed that there were none made, not even an OPC. Just wondering why that is since they made a 2013 card for him, a 2016 card for him, but not a 2015 one despite him having his best season during 14/15 (the cards I find especially OPC are based on the 14/15 season). They love cards for young players and he finished 18th overall in Norris voting for 2014-15 and averaged 24+ min TOI/game in 71 games.

Just found it odd, there are other notable players who had a good season in 2014/15 that didn't get a card in series 1/2 like Garrison, Russell, Kulikov, Braun, Demers, etc but those guys all got at least an OPC.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I wonder sometimes if we would be better served if OPC would issue 1 card for every player who skates in a game pre All-Star break (maybe even an update for all those afterwards).

The obvious exception would be rookies (so many one gamers out there!)...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

I feel the same way about Clutterbuck - not a single 15-16 card for him

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That is maddening ... I can't imagine wanting to collect a football player and him not having a card ... oh, wait .... forgot about offensive lineman and special teamers

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

I understand praising players and highlights hit the previous season, but keep those out of the base set. Instead, make them inserts, and put base cards of every player in OPC. There are a bunch of guys on the Caps I would love to have base cards of, at least.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Once upon a time Pacific tried to ensure that every player who played a game got a card.... I think ITG might have been coming really close as well (I'm thinking in the years 2000-2004, that range) but I don't recall Panini or Upper Deck ever being interested in doing something like that since.

If Upper Deck wanted to, I think it'd be easy for them to make a massive base set for OPC. Make it 900 Cards. That's 27 per team (did any team have fewer than 27 different players / goalies last year?? I would assume this still wouldn't cover everyone... not even close) with room for 90 extra highlight / trophy / checklist / whatever cards.

(For a set like that, I would suggest doing everything in 9s, so that they fit nicely into a binder together).

Anyway.... going with that formula, and using the Wild as an example, you could make a card of both goalies that started games, and all 24 players who recorded at least 1 point, and still have room for one of the 7 players that skated without getting a point.

Brodin is a big enough name I'm surprised he didn't have a single card, but certainly not shocked. He did get a Panini sticker last year, and he's already in this season's OPC.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Happens with some guys, which is unfortunate when you look at the name and his place with the Wild.

I like the idea of the mega-set, and OPC is the perfect vehicle for it. Do away with the legends and a couple of the parallels, and just focus on a set that captures as close to every NHL player as possible while also chronicling some of the previous season's highlights & award winners. They say that hockey has more player collectors than the other sports, so cater to that fact.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Do away with the legends and a couple of the parallels, and just focus on a set that captures as close to every NHL player as possible

Great idea. Does anybody think that all the Gretzky and Howe collectors are really waiting every year for that new base OPC card of theirs? People don't buy OPC cards because of the Retired Stars and vintage memorabilia. They buy it because it has more players than any other set.

We don't necessarily need a card of every player who played a single game. But every regular player should have a card. The one I noticed last year was Jason Chimera. He has missed only 6 games in the past 6 seasons and scored 20 goals in two of those seasons, including last year. But he didn't have a single card last year. I think if you play at least 41 games in a season, you should have a card the next year, no matter how many points you score.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Chimera is a real interesting one anyway. He's been in the league since 00-01 (one game.... 3 the following year) and has been an NHL regular since 02-03. Up to 951 NHL games played (plus playoffs).

In that time he has only one signed hockey card: 2012-13 UD Edmonton Oilers collection.

When you consider how many players with less than 5 games played end ups with whack of signed cards..... it seems really odd.

Great idea. Does anybody think that all the Gretzky and Howe collectors are really waiting every year for that new base OPC card of theirs? People don't buy OPC cards because of the Retired Stars and vintage memorabilia. They buy it because it has more players than any other set.

We don't necessarily need a card of every player who played a single game. But every regular player should have a card. The one I noticed last year was Jason Chimera. He has missed only 6 games in the past 6 seasons and scored 20 goals in two of those seasons, including last year. But he didn't have a single card last year. I think if you play at least 41 games in a season, you should have a card the next year, no matter how many points you score.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Happens with some guys, which is unfortunate when you look at the name and his place with the Wild.

I like the idea of the mega-set, and OPC is the perfect vehicle for it. Do away with the legends and a couple of the parallels, and just focus on a set that captures as close to every NHL player as possible while also chronicling some of the previous season's highlights & award winners. They say that hockey has more player collectors than the other sports, so cater to that fact.

100% agree with this!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast